Daily Chuckle

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I took out and cleaned and replaced hydraulic lifters in a 1971 Torino in the parking lot !!!

And pulled the transfer and tranny out of a GMC suburban.

Both while in college - YUP - the good ol days !
Rebuilt (the first time) my air-cooled 1970 VW Beetle engine on the coffee table in my apartment. Didn't have a lift like that, only a small jack, and didn't use that until I needed to hold the engine up to put the bolts back in the bell housing. Also pulled the transmission out of a '76 Mercury Monarch to replace the seals in front of same apartment. Spent COUNTLESS hours doing body work to the VW in the parking lot.

These days, most kids can't check the tire pressure, let alone change the oil or pack a wheel bearing.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Rebuilt (the first time) my air-cooled 1970 VW Beetle engine on the coffee table in my apartment. Didn't have a lift like that, only a small jack, and didn't use that until I needed to hold the engine up to put the bolts back in the bell housing. Also pulled the transmission out of a '76 Mercury Monarch to replace the seals in front of same apartment. Spent COUNTLESS hours doing body work to the VW in the parking lot.

These days, most kids can't check the tire pressure, let alone change the oil or pack a wheel bearing.
Speaking of ol VW bugs ........ sitting in a class one day and buddy of mine was talking about his bug.... something about how easy it was to take the engine out, he could do it in 5 minutes !!! I told him he was full of sht !!!

We bet a 6 pack of brew on it - I had the second hand and he said ready? GO - well lets just say I lost that bet!!!! HE unscrewed four bolts - and the throttle cable, picked up and placed on the ground and returned it tightening everything in 4 minutes 42 seconds. I was impressed, lost the bet but did get to drink one of the 6 brews!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Speaking of ol VW bugs ........ sitting in a class one day and buddy of mine was talking about his bug.... something about how easy it was to take the engine out, he could do it in 5 minutes !!! I told him he was full of sht !!!

We bet a 6 pack of brew on it - I had the second hand and he said ready? GO - well lets just say I lost that bet!!!! HE unscrewed four bolts - and the throttle cable, picked up and placed on the ground and returned it tightening everything in 4 minutes 42 seconds. I was impressed, lost the bet but did get to drink one of the 6 brews!
1965 Olds Cutlass F85, Granted that car was set up for the drag strip, but 2 of us could have the motor and transmission in and out of the car in 15min, with everything disconnected, removed, then reinstalled, reconnected and refilled and running.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I took out and cleaned and replaced hydraulic lifters in a 1971 Torino in the parking lot !!!

And pulled the transfer and tranny out of a GMC suburban.

Both while in college - YUP - the good ol days !
I knew an (eccentric) old guy who owned and flew his own Howard (round engine) airplane.
It was Wintertime in Minnesota, and the engine needed an overhaul.
He towed it from the airport to his house, removed the picture window in the living room, and stuck the engine in the window hole.
Stuffed blankets and plastic around the engine, and went to work.
Since he had a regular job, it took him some time to complete the overhaul.

Believe it or not.....he was married too!

Reactions: 1 user

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
yeah, yeah the good old days :)
I had a 70 Saab Sonett - Ford 1.5l industrial motor in it. Not only could I pull the motor by myself but no lift was needed, just unbolt and pick the sucker up.

Had to do it too many times as I would shear the same shaft key in the transmission 1/2 the times I autocrossed it. I would bring the tranny into the Saab dealer and for $15 they would press in a new key.

RDinNHandAZ

Equipment
Kubota BX1870, FEL, BX5450 Snowblower, back blade, customized snow cab

BTW most kids couldn’t then either! I used to say it took 15 minutes not 5 to pull the VW engine but even that got me free beer whenever I had to do it. As for the average kid then, I had four different “helpers” over about as many years and not one knew which way to turn a bolt to loosen or tighten it. One adamantly refused to believe the car had a battery even after I showed it to him as- “The car runs and starts on gasoline so it doesn’t need a battery!” and when shown it said “That is not a battery, they are round thingies like in my flashlight!"
At 13 I rebuilt a transmission for a Triumph 3TA motorcycle in my mom’s kitchen. I had the whole bike in there. Damn I miss her, women like that are rare! I knew no other kids doing that or having any real knowledge to either, same as today.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
BTW most kids couldn’t then either! I used to say it took 15 minutes not 5 to pull the VW engine but even that got me free beer whenever I had to do it. As for the average kid then, I had four different “helpers” over about as many years and not one knew which way to turn a bolt to loosen or tighten it. One adamantly refused to believe the car had a battery even after I showed it to him as- “The car runs and starts on gasoline so it doesn’t need a battery!” and when shown it said “That is not a battery, they are round thingies like in my flashlight!"
At 13 I rebuilt a transmission for a Triumph 3TA motorcycle in my mom’s kitchen. I had the whole bike in there. Damn I miss her, women like that are rare! I knew no other kids doing that or having any real knowledge to either, same as today.
I built/rebuilt lotsa stuff in the house,.....as it was often too cold in my dad's little shop.

DaTow'd

Equipment
what ever it takes to get the job done
Aug 13, 2013
Bella Coma BC Canada
I've done my share of VW engine swaps and 14 minutes was my best time with no blood lost. My hat is off to somebody that can do it in 5.
Hank