D950 Head and pan gasket questions

primerk5

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
I bought a full engine gasket kit from Kumar bros. Been a lot of issues with this gasket kit, incorrect orings and seals, missing stuff....

It came with two head gaskets, one regular gasket, and a peice of flat steel in the shape of a head gasket. What is the flat steel gasket for? Do I need to use this, I didn't have one before.

It also came with two pan gaskets one is half as thick as the other, they are the same otherwise. which one should I use? I'm thinking the thicker one.

Also, Should i use silicone sealant on the pan gasket. I think I should but just wanted to know what every one else does. How about the gear case cover, I'm thinking not on this.

Thanks alot

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The metal head gasket if for when you've had to mill the head or install piston sleeves in the engine, so if you have done neither, discard.
Do you have an aluminum oil pan or stamped steel, aluminum takes the thin gasket and stamped steel the thicker, but double check the holes as there are variants.

I use ultra blue silicone on all my gaskets and never have a leak, just use a very thin amount and use gloves or you'll look like a Smurf when your done!:eek:

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
I use Ultra Black anywhere except for where there is water/coolant, then I use #2.

Thin layer, both sides of gasket.

Clean Clean Clean........both mating surfaces. Wire wheel, used compressed air to blow out bolt holes, clean with acetone or denatured alcohol.

Set gasket with bolts just beyond finger tight, let set for one hour, snug all bolts, then torque.

For pan gaskets that are cork, snug only, do not over tighten and destroy gasket. Allow some Ultra or #2 to get on bolt threads, once set the bolts will not back out.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea I use Ultra blue silicone on all the gaskets besides exhaust, on exhaust I use Ultra Copper.

The Ultra black is great too, I've just always used the blue???

Just don't use the standard clear silicone it will break down with oil and fuel.

Kubota_Bob

Equipment
B7200DT with 1630 loader and Kubota 4520 Backhoe
Jan 27, 2013
Coarsegold, CA
Just my 2 cents..........

Been building engines and transmissions for 50 years.......

Self employed and at dealerships..........

Gaskets and silicone are fine, just don't use them together.....

When silicone is applied to a gasket it acts as a lubricant and helps the gasket push out or split.......

Gaskets or silicone only should be applied to a CLEAN and DRY sealing surface......

Steel pans & valve covers should be inspected for dimpling around the bolt holes and if the item is dimpled it should be flipped over and the dimples hammered flat before installation.....

Many manufacturers have gone to silicone only for sealing, but again the surface must be clean, dry and with no oil residue...........

You can agree or disagree with the way I have done it...Your choice

Good luck on your reseal job,
Bob

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Just my 2 cents..........

Been building engines and transmissions for 50 years.......

Self employed and at dealerships..........

Gaskets and silicone are fine, just don't use them together.....

When silicone is applied to a gasket it acts as a lubricant and helps the gasket push out or split.......

Gaskets or silicone only should be applied to a CLEAN and DRY sealing surface......

Steel pans & valve covers should be inspected for dimpling around the bolt holes and if the item is dimpled it should be flipped over and the dimples hammered flat before installation.....

Many manufacturers have gone to silicone only for sealing, but again the surface must be clean, dry and with no oil residue...........

You can agree or disagree with the way I have done it...Your choice

Good luck on your reseal job,
Bob

I am pretty much in full agreement here too.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I use contact adhesive-3M trim and detail adhesive. Like contact cement, glue gasket to removeable part only. No sealant on other side. Adgesive gasket sealant. Copperkote is awesome too