Cutting Edge for snow !

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
This isnt up there with Paul's fantastic stuff, but I did not want to take my Piranha Tooth Bar off just to push some snow, nor did I want to grind the teeth on that Piranha Tooth Bar against the asphalt and concrete!
So what I did was take a plate of steel, weld 4 large bolts to it, grade 5, then made plate steel washers to squeeze around the tooth bar. Now I have a scraper edge that I can beet the hell out of and not really care about. Loosen the four nuts and it slides right off. The bolts will not allow it to slide back any further than it is right now.

I will see if it works......if/when this white stuff starts to fall!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
One thing you might want to consider in the future is using a poly blade, they work great at not messing up you asphalt and concrete, yet work really well at scraping snow. ;)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Not trying to be rude.....but my tooth bar takes about 60 secs to put on or remove...with just 2 bolts. I don't see the advantage.
Advantage being, the ware and tear on the orginial bucket edge......true I could have taken the Piranha blade off, but this was a free design, adds length to the bucket and worked like a charm.....Now ifn I had to buy this 1/2 thick plate, now I would have those two bolts OUT in a heartbeat!!!!!

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
This isnt up there with Paul's fantastic stuff, but I did not want to take my Piranha Tooth Bar off just to push some snow, nor did I want to grind the teeth on that Piranha Tooth Bar against the asphalt and concrete!
So what I did was take a plate of steel, weld 4 large bolts to it, grade 5, then made plate steel washers to squeeze around the tooth bar. Now I have a scraper edge that I can beet the hell out of and not really care about. Loosen the four nuts and it slides right off. The bolts will not allow it to slide back any further than it is right now.

I will see if it works......if/when this white stuff starts to fall!!!! :eek::eek::eek:
I like it, sure would be handy to have that wear bar in place if you do a lot of asphalt/concrete plowing.
I went with a piece of pipe over my bucket edge for my gravel drive, it helped but i still have a pile of snowstone .

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Fall Line sells the ploy blank cutting edges that Wolfman is talking about. You can get a blank and custome cut your own edge to suit your needs.

http://www.fallline.com/index.cfm
Eric & Wolfman, curious about the bucket edges. I notice they have both formed bucket edges vs getting a poly blank.

Is it a cost saving issue to go with the blank? Does the blank being mounted so it is on end work effectively and have good wear characteristics? Just asking. I have no idea how expensive these things are. Seems that you need to ahve a account with a login password for pricing.

http://www.fallline.com/store/Details.cfm?Cat_ID=9&ProdID=284&secondary=47&category=

Looks like it would be a great idea...