CUT for timber clearing, plowing, grading

Whitemike

Mar 24, 2022
Idaho
Im looking to get a kubota CUT to help maintain my timbered property and to plow my dirveway. I also have about a 300 foot gravel driveway that id like to be able to maintain and grade at some point but my main focus is on the timber and snow removal to start off. I live in Idaho and winters are long so snow removal is important. I have 7.5 acres of timber. A LOT of it needs to be thinned/removed. There is a bit of mature timber that I want to leave alone but there is a lot of immature re-prod that is tightly packed and needs to be taken care of. The trees in question are 20 feet tall or less and 10 inch diameter or less, with the majority of it being 10ish feet tall and about 6 inch diameter or less. Along with that ill have never ending slash/burn piles while trying to maintain a healthy lot of timber. Rather than renting a mini ex every weekend indefinitely id like to just own something and do it at my own leisure which is why I'm considering a backhoe attachment on a CUT. I realize a backhoe is not the best tool for the job but when i cut down these smaller trees id like to dig out these smaller stumps too. Is a CUT with a backhoe going to be a good tool to have? only 1/2 acre of my property is grass so i am not considering using it to mow. What model should i look into? My budget is to keep it around 30k max, preferably under but going over is not out of the question.
Thanks

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
I’m pretty much a newbie to tractors, having mine about a year now. Bought it to help me with dead ash trees and stumps. Original intention was to get a back hoe, loader of course, and grapple. Everything arrived except 3rd function and grapple…with an unknown expected delivery date, so I canceled the grapple, and took a wood chipper which was in stock. Chipper is great if you can use the chips. I quickly learned that tree stumps can be a huge chore for my little back hoe, and spent many hours digging out a few stumps, and making quite a mess. Seems the hole gets bigger and bigger. Some of this is probably due to my inexperience… I have since resigned myself to taking the stumps out that are easy, or blow overs that pulled the root ball with tree. Other than that I cut them off low to the ground. Cant comment on the grading or plowing as I have no attachments for that, or experience. I have posted this pic a couple times. Just for what it’s worth…..

FD6DA677-92DB-46A4-835B-A64DFB084EF5.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
lots of options however I avoid the what is better discussions. (ford or chevy, UDT or SUDT or other, etc...)

However word of advice from a guy that has for decades done what you are proposing very succesfully. I use a L with back hoe, grapple 8 1/2 tonne logging winch, etc... alot..

1. under armour whatever cut you get. stick pokes through rubber boots, hooking hoses, poking rad's, rad fans destruction, etc... is expensive and adds up quick. Custom under armour as off the shelf stuff rarely exists is going to be a huge savings in the long run. I have yet to see a cut with any way near enough brush protection to venture into what you propose. So if you intend to use off field or off road this is a must IMHO

2. backhoe on CUT works fine just do not expect the same amount of work as a mini ex. / hr can do as a cut is often 1/4 of the weight. once you get really good you will still be less than 1/2 productivity of a mini ex. Rookies can expect 1/4 productivity as your finesse will need to build on how to cut roots, under dig, etc... I do about 4 to 5 10" rnd pine stumps / hr with a BH77 backhoe

good luck... I love brush work with my Kubota L.

Reactions: 5 users

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
You might find that a tractor plus grapple and a PTO stump grinder would be more effective and less costly.

Reactions: 2 users

Shekkie

Equipment
LX2610, Virnig 60" Grapple, WoodMaxx TM-86H, Woods 60" BB/72”RB
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
For a CUT first narrow it down to what size will work best for you. B/LX/L? With a backhoe and FEL you are limited to the B series for $30k-ish…….not limited as in “bad” just limited as in that is the best option to keep to your budget. Without you can get an L/LX with FEL and a grapple then get/rent a stump grinder when convenient if you feel the need.

I am clearing tornado tree devastation with my LX, grapple and Husqvarna chainsaw. The stumps can wait/rot.

Reactions: 1 users

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
I'm also a tractor newbie, but based on what you're looking to do, an L/LX seems like the best idea (with the LX being a bit more maneuverable in the tighter areas at the expense of slightly reduced FEL capacity and torque). Get a grapple ($2-3k) and a PTO stump grinder (can be had for $2-3k) and will make short work of things.

Whitemike

Mar 24, 2022
Idaho
Thanks for everyone’s input. After doing more research I see that the 30k isn’t really reasonable for what I want so I’ll be looking in the 40k range. GSD-Keegan what model is that in your picture? Are you able to pick up logs that size and transport them to another area?

Reactions: 1 user

Shekkie

Equipment
LX2610, Virnig 60" Grapple, WoodMaxx TM-86H, Woods 60" BB/72”RB
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
Thanks for everyone’s input. After doing more research I see that the 30k isn’t really reasonable for what I want so I’ll be looking in the 40k range. GSD-Keegan what model is that in your picture? Are you able to pick up logs that size and transport them to another area?
DC850227-DBE4-426E-BAF1-14305F193869.jpeg

For reference this is about the max for an LX to lift/move.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
I realize that this is a tractor forum, but have you considered buying a (used) mini-ex to whip the property into shape, then selling it and buying a CUT for the maintenance chores? I don't know about today's market, but would think you could get most of your money back when you were done with it

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
I have a B2601 white Mike. So far i love it. Yes, I can carefully transport logs that size. I’m very careful to keep the weight balanced. I know it’s not the best solution and a grapple is still on my wish list. I love getting the log up off the ground to buck it up into splitting lengths…saves bending over…and my back. I have used the backhoe and thumb, more than the loader and chipper the first year of ownership. One thing to remember about transporting logs this way is that you have to be able to maneuver the logs between other trees. I’m cautious about bending any framework on the backhoe, but having said that, I’m aware grapples can easily bend front end loader framework as well. If you wish, check out this link I posted shortly after my Kubbie was delivered….

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
I am squarely in your target use case except most of my trees are larger. I went L2501 TLB with 3rd fx and grapple after much advice here and pros/cons considerations. I am a year in and have moved about 30T or deadfall in a two-week period last summer. I have dug much larger stumps (had 20 mature blow-down oaks from Hurricane Sandy - some more difficult than others) and think your needs from your descriptions should be fine. I use the grapple for clearing and firewood processing. I also had grading, rock, and digging considerations that made this a good choice for me. Check out some of my previous posts.

I am not using much PTO or ground pulling power so the 2501 and no EPA was a plus, not a minus power-wise as the hydraulic pump is the same except for the 4701.

I think this level & combo prob. should be on your shortlist but there are a lot of considerations in your world that only you know... :)

edit: Oh, and a BB was a must-have afterward - you may want to consider that for the gravel drive.

Last edited:

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Im looking to get a kubota CUT to help maintain my timbered property and to plow my dirveway. I also have about a 300 foot gravel driveway that id like to be able to maintain and grade at some point but my main focus is on the timber and snow removal to start off. I live in Idaho and winters are long so snow removal is important. I have 7.5 acres of timber. A LOT of it needs to be thinned/removed. There is a bit of mature timber that I want to leave alone but there is a lot of immature re-prod that is tightly packed and needs to be taken care of. The trees in question are 20 feet tall or less and 10 inch diameter or less, with the majority of it being 10ish feet tall and about 6 inch diameter or less. Along with that ill have never ending slash/burn piles while trying to maintain a healthy lot of timber. Rather than renting a mini ex every weekend indefinitely id like to just own something and do it at my own leisure which is why I'm considering a backhoe attachment on a CUT. I realize a backhoe is not the best tool for the job but when i cut down these smaller trees id like to dig out these smaller stumps too. Is a CUT with a backhoe going to be a good tool to have? only 1/2 acre of my property is grass so i am not considering using it to mow. What model should i look into? My budget is to keep it around 30k max, preferably under but going over is not out of the question.
Thanks
Check out my equipment list in my signature. I'm running it on 116 acres mostly forest and bush.
Couldn't be happier.

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
I second the grapple
lots of options however I avoid the what is better discussions. (ford or chevy, UDT or SUDT or other, etc...)

However word of advice from a guy that has for decades done what you are proposing very succesfully. I use a L with back hoe, grapple 8 1/2 tonne logging winch, etc... alot..

1. under armour whatever cut you get. stick pokes through rubber boots, hooking hoses, poking rad's, rad fans destruction, etc... is expensive and adds up quick. Custom under armour as off the shelf stuff rarely exists is going to be a huge savings in the long run. I have yet to see a cut with any way near enough brush protection to venture into what you propose. So if you intend to use off field or off road this is a must IMHO

2. backhoe on CUT works fine just do not expect the same amount of work as a mini ex. / hr can do as a cut is often 1/4 of the weight. once you get really good you will still be less than 1/2 productivity of a mini ex. Rookies can expect 1/4 productivity as your finesse will need to build on how to cut roots, under dig, etc... I do about 4 to 5 10" rnd pine stumps / hr with a BH77 backhoe

good luck... I love brush work with my Kubota L.
Where do you get the under armour?

I second the grapple fairly new at it but it really makes quick work of moving brush limbs and logs.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Dec 2, 2019
E.
Where do you get the under armour?

I make my own out of UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) plastic sheets I get from my local farm supply store. Easy to work with, flexible, cuts with jig saw, easy to make cut-out/holes, etc...

I know there are some companies making them for the BX/B tractors due to the very low ground clearances, bad fan design, and how people often use these machines as off-road mini work horses. For my latest L I just made a 2 piece thingy myself in an afternoon.

edit: I use can am style skid plate cup washers to mount to homemade cross members that get pinched in place.

Last edited:

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
I make my own out of UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) plastic sheets I get from my local farm supply store. Easy to work with, flexible, cuts with jig saw, easy to make cut-out/holes, etc...

I know there are some companies making them for the BX/B tractors due to the very low ground clearances, bad fan design, and how people often use these machines as off-road mini work horses. For my latest L I just made a 2 piece thingy myself in an afternoon.

edit: I use can am style skid plate cup washers to mount to homemade cross members that get pinched in place.

Sounds like a creative and effective solution. Do you have any pics? :cool:

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia

thank you I noticed right away the little b are close the ground. the uhmw is a good idea I will have to look at that are you using 1/4" or thicker. I do not have many metal working tools but I have a old iron wood shop.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Dec 2, 2019
E.
thank you I noticed right away the little b are close the ground. the uhmw is a good idea I will have to look at that are you using 1/4" or thicker. I do not have many metal working tools but I have a old iron wood shop.
I use 3/8 cause its what is available on the shelf in 4*8' sheets.
I attach to cross channels I make out of angle iron and use can am style skid plate washers. I use bolts of varying lengths with nylok nuts. I bend with heat gun to create wings for attaching
1648324963859.png

No need for welder or metal working equipment. A drill with various sized bits, hole saw for wood makes nice round holes, and jig saw all I needed. Will get pictures next trip to my shop.

washers cheap and keep bolt heads up higher so bottom stays smooth and catch free over brush, etc..

1648325529180.png
this way bottom of skid plate very smooth. I drill / cut openings to access, drain, etc... These plastic sheets can be cut on a table saw, with jig saw, can be bent by heating with paint stripping gun, etc... It can be shaped with heat just don't over heat.

I make templates out of cardboard first then trace onto the sheet of plastic and cut (cut slowly) so not to make too much heat.

BXpanded makes out of metal for the BX if thats what you have for a tractor
1648325653282.png
1648325703676.png

Reactions: 4 users

Whitemike

Mar 24, 2022
Idaho
I just returned from the shop and it’s looking like I’m going with an L 3901. There is a 3902 for I think 2500 more and From what I remember it was just convenience and comfort differences, not performance. Thoughts on 3901 vs 3902? Now I just need to weigh if the 11,000$ backhoe is worth it

Whitemike

Mar 24, 2022
Idaho
Now I’m actually wondering if the 3901 would be overkill for what I need. There is a long list of people waiting for 2501s so I wouldn’t have one until the end of the year so we didn’t talk much about the 2501s unfortunately, just the different attachments available and what I would need

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
I use 3/8 cause its what is available on the shelf in 4*8' sheets.
I attach to cross channels I make out of angle iron and use can am style skid plate washers. I use bolts of varying lengths with nylok nuts. I bend with heat gun to create wings for attaching
View attachment 77161

No need for welder or metal working equipment. A drill with various sized bits, hole saw for wood makes nice round holes, and jig saw all I needed. Will get pictures next trip to my shop.

washers cheap and keep bolt heads up higher so bottom stays smooth and catch free over brush, etc..

View attachment 77162 this way bottom of skid plate very smooth. I drill / cut openings to access, drain, etc... These plastic sheets can be cut on a table saw, with jig saw, can be bent by heating with paint stripping gun, etc... It can be shaped with heat just don't over heat.

I make templates out of cardboard first then trace onto the sheet of plastic and cut (cut slowly) so not to make too much heat.

BXpanded makes out of metal for the BX if thats what you have for a tractor
View attachment 77163 View attachment 77164
thank you that looks great