current dump trailer reviews

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
I'm in the search for a dump trailer and this thread has been helpful. It's going to be mainly used for trash and construction debris, maybe an occasional load of gravel but I'm limited to 10,500 lbs for towing. The amount of money I've spent over the last 8 years on roll off dumpsters dealing with my properties would have bought me one already.

I'm pretty set on a 14ft basically so it give me more room for loading the tractor that is a touch over 12ft with the FEL. I also want a 3 way gate to give me extended room to for implements as well as lumber if needed. There isn't many out there that have a 3 way gate...

So far the CAM super line fits all of those needs and also has optional aluminum ramps which store underneath and only weigh 40lbs each, but I think they are expensive. So far I only got one price at $8600 with the tarp, wireless remote, and aluminum ramps :eek:. I'm waiting on a few more quotes.

One question I have is does anyone haul a b series with a backhoe on a dump trailer? I'm thinking the extra weight on the back would make for a difficult time getting the right load position.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I'm in the search for a dump trailer and this thread has been helpful. It's going to be mainly used for trash and construction debris, maybe an occasional load of gravel but I'm limited to 10,500 lbs for towing. The amount of money I've spent over the last 8 years on roll off dumpsters dealing with my properties would have bought me one already.

I'm pretty set on a 14ft basically so it give me more room for loading the tractor that is a touch over 12ft with the FEL. I also want a 3 way gate to give me extended room to for implements as well as lumber if needed. There isn't many out there that have a 3 way gate...

So far the CAM super line fits all of those needs and also has optional aluminum ramps which store underneath and only weigh 40lbs each, but I think they are expensive. So far I only got one price at $8600 with the tarp, wireless remote, and aluminum ramps :eek:. I'm waiting on a few more quotes.

One question I have is does anyone haul a b series with a backhoe on a dump trailer? I'm thinking the extra weight on the back would make for a difficult time getting the right load position.
I'm not sure about all dump trailers, but the Kaufman that we just bought has the axles set way back past the center of the trailer. I assume that this is to mitigate lifting of the tongue (or gooseneck, in my case) when raising the load. Because of that, it would be virtually impossible to get too much weight behind the axles on our trailer.

If it helps, the trailer we bought is a 16 foot Kaufman, 15,000 pounds, scissor lift, 3/16" bed and sides, 2 way tailgate, Dexter 7000 lb axles, brakes on both, 2 spare tires- $7650, out the door.

Last edited:

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Hodge you stole that trailer! I think your right about the axle placement of the trailers. All the weight would still be on the rear wheels of the tractor which should be sitting directly over the axles, at the very least the last axle to the back.

Prices I'm getting on the CAM are relatively similar. The best price I got so far was $8,100 with everything I wanted. The aluminum ramps are worth $400 :eek:.

The least expensive trailer I found was a no name $6300 out the door that has steel ramps that mount on the sides, but it only has a 2 way gate. I cant see the point investing into one of these if I cant fit a 16' load of lumber in it. Also I don't think the tractor with a hoe on it would fit with the gates closed. I may reach out after the weekend to a few medal fab shops to see what they would charge to turn that gate into a 3 way and build some HD aluminum ramps. My back would not agree with wrestling around 200 lb steel ramps. My educated guess would be its going to cost in the end pretty close to what a CAM does, but man that's a lot of scratch.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Weight wise I believe you would be OK with the 14' and a B series with a BH. My 14' trailer has 500# on the ball, empty. It weighs 4000# empty. The axles are set back far enough that the majority of the weight will be carried by the trailer, as it should be. The recommendation of 10-15% on the ball isn't a hard and fast number. I prefer about 6-7% as I want the trailer to carry the majority of the weight.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Well I decided on a CAM Superline 14ft 14k dump trailer. It has the 3 way gate and I got the optional aluminum ramps, roll out tarp, and a wireless remote. With all the options the price came in at about the same as other dealers quoted me on just the trailer. I have to drive 2 hours one way to get it but ohh well.

It's going to be tricky to get the tractor on it with the backhoe but I'll have a better idea once I have it.

Thanks for everyone's help as well as previous posters, I'll post some pics next week when I get it.

Ohh yeah... Like Hodge I want to protect this trailer so it outlasts me. Not so much the inside of the bed but the underneath from rusting. l'm soon to close on a apartment building that has limited space to pile snow which I have a guy to Snowblower. I can definitely see having to truck out a few trailer's worth of snow if we get a bad winter, that means salty roads:eek:. What's the best product to protect the steel from salt?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Well I decided on a CAM Superline 14ft 14k dump trailer. It has the 3 way gate and I got the optional aluminum ramps, roll out tarp, and a wireless remote. With all the options the price came in at about the same as other dealers quoted me on just the trailer. I have to drive 2 hours one way to get it but ohh well.

It's going to be tricky to get the tractor on it with the backhoe but I'll have a better idea once I have it.

Thanks for everyone's help as well as previous posters, I'll post some pics next week when I get it.

Ohh yeah... Like Hodge I want to protect this trailer so it outlasts me. Not so much the inside of the bed but the underneath from rusting. l'm soon to close on a apartment building that has limited space to pile snow which I have a guy to Snowblower. I can definitely see having to truck out a few trailer's worth of snow if we get a bad winter, that means salty roads:eek:. What's the best product to protect the steel from salt?
I sprayed the entire underside of ours with Fluidfilm.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Yeah Hodge Ibwas talking with a buddy tonight and he suggested the same thing. AMS oil makes a product like that too, I'll give one of them a shot.

sg5054

Equipment
L2250
Nov 3, 2016
Dresden, ME
just realized I never finished this.
I ended up with a N&N HD series 14ft. Big trailer but has been so worth it. Hauled 6500 lbs of scrap metal to the recycler a few weeks back. No problem at all. Truck (98 Ram 2500 4wd Cummins 5 spd) and trailer weighed 18860. GVW is 16000.
Only complaint I would have is that the spare tire is mounted on the right side of the box and thus blocks the view of that side and rear corner. I plan to remount it to the front of the box.
It came with a tarp, spare tire and rear stabilizers. 8500 plus tax etc. Galvinizing is holding up very well.
Thank you for all the advice and comments.

captmikem

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660 MX 4800 and a bunch of attachments.
Mar 16, 2017
SW Washington State.
I went trailer shopping last week. I was looking at dump trailers, but none of them were long enough for my MX4800 and back hoe. I have properties 65 miles apart and want to be able to move either tractor (have a BX2660 as well that I use for mowing etc.) between the properties easily.

I was going to get a gooseneck trailer for my F250 Powerstroke, but I put a cap on it for my dogs, and it is just too much trouble to take it off and on each time I want to haul.

So I ended up with this 22’ Iron Bull hydraulic tilt trailer. It is 14,000 GVW which means I can haul about 10,000 lbs on it. The forward 6 feet is fixed (does not tilt) which allows me to put implements there without having them tilt up in the air when I load the tractor. It is powder coated, has plenty of tie down points. The stake pockets have beefy guards around them, and work as tie downs as well. The hyd tilt is simple and easy to use and allows me to lower the tilt gradually.

So far I have made three trips with it and am very happy with it. It was about $7k including tax and license, but was zero down and about 160 a month, which makes it quite palatable.

M

Attachments