Crazy noises coming from exhaust pipe during regen

243ackley

Oct 8, 2017
Birmingham Alabama
Yesterday I cranked my 7060. I immediately noticed that my dad had shut the engine off 2 weeks before while in regen mode.

I ran the Rpms up to 2200 ( while parked) and there was a whining noise coming out of the exhaust pipe. It also was letting puffs of white/ grey smoke out and making a sound like a belt slipping.

a couple of time the rpms dropped to 1800 and then slowly came back up (while parked).

when the regen light went out, all the issues went away.

I assume this was the crud in the filter getting blown out of the exhaust system?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Boy that's weird! No telling what the noises were, but sounds like a good reason not to interrupt a regen cycle if possible. Ask your dad if it was doing an auto regen or parked (out of idle curiosity on my part) when he shut it off. Automatic increasing of rpm is part of parked regen, but dropping rpm that you saw is a mystery.

sardillim

Equipment
b2650
Nov 24, 2019
Easton
Boy that's weird! No telling what the noises were, but sounds like a good reason not to interrupt a regen cycle if possible. Ask your dad if it was doing an auto regen or parked (out of idle curiosity on my part) when he shut it off. Automatic increasing of rpm is part of parked regen, but dropping rpm that you saw is a mystery.
Yesterday I cranked my 7060. I immediately noticed that my dad had shut the engine off 2 weeks before while in regen mode.

I ran the Rpms up to 2200 ( while parked) and there was a whining noise coming out of the exhaust pipe. It also was letting puffs of white/ grey smoke out and making a sound like a belt slipping.

a couple of time the rpms dropped to 1800 and then slowly came back up (while parked).

when the regen light went out, all the issues went away.

I assume this was the crud in the filter getting blown out of the exhaust system?
I get the puffs of grey/white smoke but no noise

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I had a somewhat similar experience with my L4701. Second time it went into auto regen, about 5 minutes in, one of the hoses on the loader blew. It was on the tractor side of the quick disconnect so couldn’t shut down the geyser without shutting down the engine in the middle of a regen. Finishing the regen would have drained all the hydraulic fluid and still been running for a while at the rate it was dumping fluid. Dealer and manual were VERY clear to NEVER shut it down mid-regen.

Shut it down, pulled the line and off to town. About two hours later, said a little prayer, started it up with a new line, went back to work boxblading a driveway on WOT and hoped it worked. Don’t think the engine ever got completely cold. Wasn’t as dramatic as what yours did, but there was white smoke, black smoke, and it took about 25 minutes. When it was done, it was happy again. Regened 5 or 6 times since with no issues.

That‘a all I know about it.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I had to put a low exit exhaust on a 7060 when I worked at dealer. Soon as I finish it up and start it, while it was idling and I was looking for any leaks, it wanted to regen. So I let it.

Talk about noise. it made all kinds of howls growls and poot noises. Weird. I mentioned it to kubota and he said they'll do that.

There is a throttle valve that shuts and that affects the engine sound
there is also the turbocharger, and it will spin up/down, and the compressor will surge a little--all of which makes weird sounds

nobody knew why the 7060's were worse, but they are/were. Maybe those issues are resolved?

Only big issue with 7060's was head gaskets, and there weren't very many of those. Kubota picked up the tab on them but I don't remember how long that lasts.

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
I’ve noticed some huffing and puffing noises while in regen and the fist few times just saw makes a guy go ‘huh!’ But I’ve never watched rpm close enough to see a drop or noticed one like you saw. Thanks for sharing your observations hopefully it’s not an issue

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
When I finish my nightly regen, the next morning, you hear the wheezing, moaning, and occasional puff of gas and I finally make it out of bed, so it sounds about normal to me.

(Maybe wrong regen that is being discussed)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user