Considering a cellular security camera, any one with Reolink experience?

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I am considering a Reolink Go PT battery/solar powered security camera for my land.
This camera requires a data only SIM card, has a battery plus comes with a solar panel.

I have looked at several YouTube videos on this camera but would love to hear from any users here on Orange Tractor that have this camera, good or bad.

Reolink recommends a T-mobil data SIM card , which is available with coverage for my location. They sell a 2G data card for $10 a month. This camera could use up 2G of data pretty quick as it takes 1080P video. When I chatted with the T-mobil sales person she mentioned that once the 2G data is used up for that month, the card is still active but the transfer rates , in her words, "worst case, slow down". Does that sound right?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions!

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Did you see the YouTube from GP Outdoors?
I have a Reo link wireless wifi only, and I’m happy with it.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I am very interested in what others are using too. I need a "camera" that has cellular connection - but works without any wifi ......... any suggestions on that?

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
How far is the camera going to be used from a place that can receive power and a signal?
I have a Reolink 4K POE system and have one camera that is 1/4mile away and it works perfectly.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Did you see the YouTube from GP Outdoors?
I have a Reo link wireless wifi only, and I’m happy with it.
I am not sure if I watched GP's video or not, I will search for it. What drew me to this camera is the pan and tilt feature also. I think about $265 plus shipping , taxes plus the SIM card.

How long have you had your camera in operation? I notice with my trail cams on average after about year 3 in the Wisconsin elements they become a crap shoot as to working or not. I would hope the Reolink's are longer lasting.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I am not sure if I watched GP's video or not, I will search for it. What drew me to this camera is the pan and tilt feature also. I think about $265 plus shipping , taxes plus the SIM card.

How long have you had your camera in operation? I notice with my trail cams on average after about year 3 in the Wisconsin elements they become a crap shoot as to working or not. I would hope the Reolink's are longer lasting.
I've had mine running for 3 years not a single issue, and super clear to this day.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
How far is the camera going to be used from a place that can receive power and a signal?
I have a Reolink 4K POE system and have one camera that is 1/4mile away and it works perfectly.
Too far from an external power source so will be relying on the battery and solar panel. Where I intend to place it , it will have good sun, but not sure what happens in Dec and Feb when our sun is low and often have cloudy days. As far as signal I have good cellular coverage on the land. I do not live at my land so WIFI is not an option for me.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Too far from an external power source so will be relying on the battery and solar panel. Where I intend to place it , it will have good sun, but not sure what happens in Dec and Feb when our sun is low and often have cloudy days. As far as signal I have good cellular coverage on the land. I do not live at my land so WIFI is not an option for me.
I see, well I haven't used that model, so no real help there.
But the three other models I do have, are excellent and problem free.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I am very interested in what others are using too. I need a "camera" that has cellular connection - but works without any wifi ......... any suggestions on that?
The Reolink Go Pt, as far as my understanding, is cellular only, no WIFI built in or required.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The Reolink Go Pt, as far as my understanding, is cellular only, no WIFI built in or required.

Have looked at that before - saw a couple of neg reviews ...... and did not dig enough to find total monthly cost too.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Have looked at that before - saw a couple of neg reviews ...... and did not dig enough to find total monthly cost too.
I notice a lot of the reviews of this particular Reolink camera are cameras that Reolink sent to the reviewer. I try and take those with a grain of salt, one of the reasons I came here! :). I am willing to spend the $10 a month to be able to "check" in on the property but that would not cover an "always on" WIFI type camera.

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada

sorry, just looked his video up and it’s wifi, not cellular

RollWave

Equipment
BX2660, 60" mmm, loader, 60" rear blade, 48" tiller, 42" rotary cutter
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
We have a Reolink Go (cellular) camera. Have had it for not quite two years and it works great. We have it in a chicken coop that's too far from the house to connect to wifi. We lied it enough that we bought several of the Reolink wifi cameras for the house.

RollWave

Equipment
BX2660, 60" mmm, loader, 60" rear blade, 48" tiller, 42" rotary cutter
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
One thing to be aware of is T-Mobile needs to send a code to a phone with the SIM card in it to activate. This isn't possile in a camera. We had an old cell phone lying around so we went online to ATT and requested to have that phone unlocked (as in to us with any carrier) and then put the SIM card in that phone in order to activate our account and then install the SIM card in the camera. Quite the hassle to figure out but not really Reolink's fault.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Thank for the suggestion on Mint Mobil NIW, I will check them out.
GSD-Keegan, I did find and watch GP's video, still good information as that is basically the same cam , just that its WIFI instead of cellular.

Rollwave, Thats great to know about ahead of time concerning T-Mobil and how the card needs to be activated.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
This thread reminds me of several posted here about which particular size/weight/brand of implement to buy.
I would suggest you ask yourself what do you expect from the camera? Do you just want to see where livestock are? Read a license plate? Be able to recognize a person? Night view?
I have 16 cameras in the woods to capture the various critters that come through the property. I like to 'fill the frame' as much as possible and I have an extensive infrared lighting system for night recording. I chose cameras accordingly. Some are zoom, some are PTZ (pan tilt zoom). All are wired.
I know I was disappointed in my 1st choices for cameras and have replaced them.
Perhaps you could find someone on an online forum that is using the camera you are looking at to get their feedback on how it performs for various tasks..

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Thanks for your input ctfjr!
I pretty much have it narrowed to this particular Reolink camera and was hoping that a member here on Orange Tractor talks has one and could give me a honest evaluation of it. This is pretty much the only forum I am active on. I am a bit wary of some of the YouTube review videos.

Perhaps it will help if I further explain what I hope this camera will do for me. My land where I keep my tractors is 17 miles from my house. The unit I have my tractor shed is also the same unit I have a small wildlife pond. My hopes would be that I could set this camera up and be able to check in with a "live" view once or twice a day. The pan and tilt feature would be work out really well for this. I have no WIFI or external power for the location that I want to put this cam so solar power and cellular service is a must.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: I have no WIFI or external power for the location that I want to put this cam so solar power and cellular service is a must.

I assume no heat either, so get large capacity battery and appropriate solar panel/controller setup.
ALL batteries 'lose' a LOT of power capacity when cold, some lose 1/2 ! Insulate the battery to keep it reasonably warm.
Calculate how much power you'll need to operate for week of 'zero' sunshine, more if YOU aren't able to clear the snow off the solar panel array. Remember cellphone WILL use power when NOT transmitting, that varies by make and model, should be in the 'specs' though.