Compression Testing

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Now that injector design has been finalized....:D

Can the OP post the compression results?

FatLuckFarmer

Equipment
L345DT
Jan 14, 2019
Accord , NY, USA
Now that injector design has been finalized....:D

Can the OP post the compression results?
I will as soon as I can do the test. :)

I have been a bit distracted and because of the snow on the ground I haven't needed the tractor yet. We have had a few 50deg days so I went and pulled her out of the shed. I at least got to do a quick de-greasing in preparation for a thorough inspection, fluid and filter change and fixing of what ever I find. She has been sitting for a little over a month but the right rear tire had gone very flat. I brought my portable compressor over to fill it up and found that the valve stem was mangled. Replaced the stem and realized as I was inflating it that the rear tires are filled (don't know whit what). This might explain why the motor couldn't move the tractor in top gear. After warming it up I tried loading the engine down to see if it would smoke but I got almost none. If the compression checks out I'll look into the fueling. Even when warm it surges a bit when Idling so the injectors may be starting to go. The NAPA down the road can check them for me. I'll post what I find.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Thanks for the update.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
FatLuckFarmer, you must have a fancy NAPA store if they test injectors! The one near my isn't much more than any other auto parts store, just parts and maybe make hyd hoses.

FatLuckFarmer

Equipment
L345DT
Jan 14, 2019
Accord , NY, USA
FatLuckFarmer, you must have a fancy NAPA store if they test injectors! The one near my isn't much more than any other auto parts store, just parts and maybe make hyd hoses.
Doesn't every NAPA make you an espresso while you wait for your Ferrari parts? :)

This one is also a truck and AG service place so they stock a lot of big diesel parts and do hydraulic hoses and air suspension parts while you wait. The counter guys really know their stuff. Old school. I'm lucky to have them.

honest-ACE

Equipment
L4060 tractor, Gehl 4625 skidsteer
Nov 26, 2023
Hulbert, OK
Pete,

you are in the right tree - and IF you have the correct fitting, the glow plug will be a good place to test the compression.

If you find that you do NOT have the correct fitting, go by Harbor Freight if you have on in your local area.

here are the specs on your engine:

412- 469 PSI considered "Good" 327 PSI low limit.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Doesn't every NAPA make you an espresso while you wait for your Ferrari parts? :)
Since the old guy at my local auto place left, the only reason to go there would be for the covfefe....

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user