Cold Weather Diesel Fuel

doublebass73

Equipment
L2501F, 68" Pull Type Snowblower, Spreader, Dirt Scoop
Oct 7, 2020
NH
Hi all,
I just bought my first Kubota, an L2501F. I'm not new to tractors but I'm new to diesel tractors. My tractor hasn't been delivered yet so I've been reading the manual and came across fuel recommendations for cold weather operation. It recommends #1 diesel for operation under 14 degrees F which I will be operating in at times. For anyone operating at these cold temps what are you running for fuel? #2 diesel with additive, straight Kerosene or a mix of #1 & #2?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Hi all,
I just bought my first Kubota, an L2501F. I'm not new to tractors but I'm new to diesel tractors. My tractor hasn't been delivered yet so I've been reading the manual and came across fuel recommendations for cold weather operation. It recommends #1 diesel for operation under 14 degrees F which I will be operating in at times. For anyone operating at these cold temps what are you running for fuel? #2 diesel with additive, straight Kerosene or a mix of #1 & #2?
The way to avoid cold weather fuel problems, assuming you do not have your own bulk storage tank, is to buy your diesel at a busy truck stop.

Their fuel supply will be frequently changed as the weather changes so you are not having to play chemist.

Do not buy fuel in the early fall if you will not be using it until the very cold weather as the blend change will have you trying to run on the wrong blend for the winter temps. A warmer weather fuel blend will gel ( a form of solid wax crystals) when exposed to too cold temperatures

Additives .......... as many opinions as their are different products.

On new emission era tractors, refer to your Owners' manual. Some forum members who are Kubota techs have expressed reservations about additives and their incompatibility with the emission systems.

eserv had this to say no the subject:

Kubota tractors need clean good quality diesel fuel, appropriate for the temperatures you will be operating it in. If the fuel doesn't meet the above qualifications all the snake-oil in the world won't fix it! If it does meet those qualifications then the Kubota tractor is designed to operate on that fuel and will give years of dependable service. For the most part, fuel additives are just a tax on the gullible.

Fuel bought in the coldest part of winter can be used in warmer temps. When dealing with large quantities of fuel, the cold weather blends are more expensive which is why they are changed as the temps warm up. for an individual owner, the amount of money we are talking about is not significant.

Dave

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
I got caught on this one year and had diesel from the summer still in tank when winter came. Lesson learned I use an additive for every single tank of diesel that get used. Never have to worry what's in the tank.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
This time of year I make sure I add enough additive to the fuel to make sure that if it turns cold I don’t have any gelling. It is hard to know when they will start to change over to winter blend at the pumps. I don’t keep much on hand in the fall until it gets cold enough to insure that I am buying winter blend.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
This time of year I make sure I add enough additive to the fuel to make sure that if it turns cold I don’t have any gelling. It is hard to know when they will start to change over to winter blend at the pumps. I don’t keep much on hand in the fall until it gets cold enough to insure that I am buying winter blend.
The long term trick is to buy all your diesel in the coldest part of the winter and then run it year round.

Dave

lmpres

Equipment
lx2610
Jul 3, 2020
New Hampshire
I see we live close. Our gas stations switch over to the winter blend usually late October. Like was said above, use the busy station and ask at the counter if they have switched. Hopefully the counter attendant will know or will be able to ask the manager....There are also diesel fuel additives you can add to boost it. I use Power Service +cetane and never had an issue in my truck.

doublebass73

Equipment
Oct 7, 2020
NH
Thanks for the replies everyone, does anyone know what they do to the diesel to create a winter blend? Do they just cut it with a certain amount of K1?

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
While your worrying about the winter/summer blend, try finding the minimum cetane rating your manual specifies. For years Kubota specifies a minimum cetane rating of 45, while most pumps only guarantee 40. 🤔

Winter diesel also has less energy content, so you're paying more for less. If you live in the NE, diesel prices can spike very rapidly due to the demand for home heating oil. However the cost of fuel for most will be insignificant given the limited amount of fuel consumed.

Congrats on the new tractor!

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Dumbest Question on the planet:

Mine will be stored in a relatively warm New England garage, so start up temps will be around 32 - 42 degrees fahrenheit. However when the tractor goes outside it may be well below freezing/zero degrees fahrenheit.
So my question is: Is the "cold weather diesel" just a start up concern, or is it also an operating concern?

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH

Mine will be stored in a relatively warm New England garage, so start up temps will be around 32 - 42 degrees fahrenheit. However when the tractor goes outside it may be well below freezing/zero degrees fahrenheit.
So my question is: Is the "cold weather diesel" just a start up concern, or is it also an operating concern?
Both.

doublebass73

Equipment
Oct 7, 2020
NH

Thanks for asking that, I was wondering the same thing.

doublebass73

Equipment
Oct 7, 2020
NH
While your worrying about the winter/summer blend, try finding the minimum cetane rating your manual specifies. For years Kubota specifies a minimum cetane rating of 45, while most pumps only guarantee 40. 🤔

Winter diesel also has less energy content, so you're paying more for less. If you live in the NE, diesel prices can spike very rapidly due to the demand for home heating oil. However the cost of fuel for most will be insignificant given the limited amount of fuel consumed.

Congrats on the new tractor!
Thanks! Any idea what percentage the energy loss is from summer to winter diesel?

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Thanks! Any idea what percentage the energy loss is from summer to winter diesel?
It changes by date and region.

In our area, winter blend starts Nov. 1st. It gets stronger by the month and then tapers off again in Feb. They basically follow the temperature curve in the region.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

doublebass73

Equipment
Oct 7, 2020
NH
It changes by date and region.

In our area, winter blend starts Nov. 1st. It gets stronger by the month and then tapers off again in Feb. They basically follow the temperature curve in the region.
Thanks, that's good to know. Do you run any additives, cut with #1 or is the winter blend sufficient as is? I'm on the southern side of the White Mountains.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Thanks, that's good to know. Do you run any additives, cut with #1 or is the winter blend sufficient as is? I'm on the southern side of the White Mountains.
Winter blend is a mixture of #1 and #2 diesel. Unless it is getting15-20 below or colder you should be fine. I add additives just to make sure because you really don’t have any idea what exactly you are getting at the pumps even if the clerk tells you it is winter blend. Plus, when I used to farm and log, I experienced many times winter fuel gelling at 15-20 below or colder and it is not fun at all. A little protection goes a long way.

doublebass73

Equipment
Oct 7, 2020
NH
Winter blend is a mixture of #1 and #2 diesel. Unless it is getting15-20 below or colder you should be fine. I add additives just to make sure because you really don’t have any idea what exactly you are getting at the pumps even if the clerk tells you it is winter blend. Plus, when I used to farm and log, I experienced many times winter fuel gelling at 15-20 below or colder and it is not fun at all. A little protection goes a long way.
We do typically get temps of 20 below at some point every winter with an occasional 25 to 30 below so that's why I was curious. It sounds like I need to put in additives at a minimum.