Cleaning the engine?

mathews xt 600

Feb 15, 2015
Millersburg
Just curious if anyone cleans the dust and grime off of the motor. I'm pretty fussy and wonder what the best way to get it clean. Was thinking hose but wanted to ask here first. Thanks

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Just curious if anyone cleans the dust and grime off of the motor. I'm pretty fussy and wonder what the best way to get it clean. Was thinking hose but wanted to ask here first. Thanks
The engine needs to be cleaned too!

Be careful with any type of degreasers, they will take paint off of aluminum painted parts if left on too long! And as for spraying the engine - do it off as not to hit a hot place with cold water, and dont hit it wide open - water if pressured too much will work into weird places;) - wiring connections...etc...

Dont spray water into the alternator if you can help it either!

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I have found that a 50/50 solution of Tide laundry detergent and water, sprayed on a warm (not hot) engine and left to soak for an hour will pull most grease and grime off a motor. If you do not have a pressure washer (some folks recommend not using one of these but go ahead if you are skilled enough and know what you are spraying on the engine) use a hose tip that is really powerful and blast off the gunk the Tide loosened up.

Follow up with a bucket of Tide water (about a standard Tide cup to a 2 gallon bucket) a rag and soft brush. Go to town on cleaning it all up and getting the little sticky stuff off. Then rinse and either dry or let dry.

You should have a clean motor now and a dirty area you had the tractor parked on! You can do this over grass if you put down a sheet or something else to catch all the grease and dirt so it doesn't soak into the soil. The grass shouldn't care about the Tide.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Since I was a kid I have used Gunk degreaser and a long handled brush to break the chunkules loose. Must be done on dry engine but one thorough cleaning with low pressure hose off usually leaves it spic and span. Tin foiling your alternator is a good idea. If de-Gunking over asphalt, the Gunk will suspend the grease pretty well enough to hose off the drive. Same for concrete.

Clean is good!

Last edited:

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
I tend to wash the engine(s) every year or so whether it needs it or not. Especially after using herbicides I just wash the whole rig.

Even a water hose nozzle might be enough force to disrupt (especially older) wiring and connectors.

Try a hose-end sprayer set to 'broadcast' or 'fan' and fill the little plastic jug with a mix of your favorite liquid detergent or cleaner, spray it on a 'warm' not hot engine and let it sit, then switch the sprayer to clean water and hose off. Repeat.

I've had good results with Simple Green, Gunk, and the concentrated blue stuff from which windshield washer fluid is made (concentrated, not the buck-a-gallon ready to use).

For terribly dirty greasy stuff that wanders through the place we spray it down repeatedly with diesel on a warm engine (if it runs) and then repeatedly hose it off as described above. May take a few tries but usually gets it. For the worst places we use a spray can of foaming engine cleaner followed by hosing.

I wouldn't use aluminum foil around the alternator / starter. Might draw an arc. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap instead and secure with electric tape.

Just lately we found that liquid Wisk does an outstanding job cleaning oil stains off concrete. Should work on engines too.

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
I did what Ray describes to two really nasty engines last year. Used O'Reilly's brand engine degreaser, followed directions, rinsed with a strong stream of water from a garden hose & nozzle. You could almost hear them say "Ah!".

:)

apeckham

Equipment
L3800HST, Buhler 6' Finish Mower, Land Pride APS500, Land Pride RB3774
Feb 24, 2014
Corning, IA, USA
100% Simple Green in a hand spray bottle, give it a good coat, let it set for 10 minutes and rinse off with a garden hose. Do this every time you clean up your toy and you won't have any issues keeping her looking new.

zippyslug31

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, 72" BB, old Ford 22-63 PHD
Jun 27, 2015
Crooked River Ranch, Oregon
What's a "clean engine"?
For that matter... what's a "clean tractor"? :(

Mine is only a year old and it's covered in dust and dirt; mechanically "clean" and maintained, just very dirty on the surface. I always feel like I want to give it a good wash to make it look like it did the day it was delivered... but then I ask"why bother?".

So, if I'm not dealing with chemicals such as herbicides, and mainly just moving rocks & dirt, is there any real advantage of having a spotless tractor? Don't mean to sound facetious... I'm really wondering if there's a serviceable "advantage"?

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
zippy,, the main thing is heat. Any dirt and dirt packed on in layers of oil will act as an insulation and hold heat in the eng. That's a good thing if it's 20 below, but not if it's 98 above. Dirt and oil collected on electrical connections can allso cause current drain,, dead batt. Geez, I've allmost talked myself into washing my bx and it's allmost bedtime.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
How grimy do your tractors get? "...sprayed on a warm (not hot) engine and left to soak for an hour", and "use a parts cleaner brush and an air compressor."

I've got a couple of tractors nearly 50 years old that don't require that! Any Kubota I have could be cleaned by a good rain storm.

Maybe if your tractor gets real bad, put a wire brush on a 4" angle grinder and clean it up!!!;)

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
How grimy do your tractors get? "...sprayed on a warm (not hot) engine and left to soak for an hour", and "use a parts cleaner brush and an air compressor."

I've got a couple of tractors nearly 50 years old that don't require that! Any Kubota I have could be cleaned by a good rain storm.

Maybe if your tractor gets real bad, put a wire brush on a 4" angle grinder and clean it up!!!;)
And take off that pesky paint too! :D

If you clean your tractor regularly, you're right D2Cat... it only takes normal soap and water as you'd wash the rest of the tractor...

... however ...

If you let it go a while, have leaked or spilled oil, grease, hydraulic fluid, anti-freeze, additives... <ahem>, not that I've ever done ANY of that and you couldn't prove it was me if the stuff was found there, then yes, those and dirt/debris/clay/ash can turn into a wonderfully hard substance that would give Gorilla Glue a run for its money.

So, everyone has their favorite method of cleaning, and even the angle grinder works if you don't mind doing a little paint touch up. ;)

I had to take a pneumatic hammer to an amalgamated dirt/oil clod on my backhoe because it was totally waterproof! My father isn't much for cleaning tractors, his comment was 'they are only going to get dirty again anyway'. When you have that situation, you need stronger stuff than the hose can put out...