Cleaning out the attic - trip down memory lane

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
In preparation for listing / selling the house I started to clear out our attic. When we moved here 34 yrs ago A ton of 'stuff' was 'temporarily' stored there. lol. Still there - must be real important stuff :)

So I'm up there today and find this in one of the boxes:
battleship game 1981 001.jpg

At the time I had a Northstar Advantage (all in one - keyboard, computer, display) and wrote this program for the kids. Ok I wrote it for me but the kids played it. I sure did like to comment a lot :) Probably to help me more than anyone else.

I had never programmed in Basic before so it was a learning experience! Can't wait to go back in the 120 deg attic tomorrow to see what else I can dig up.

Anyone else discover long lost treasures when getting ready to move?

Reactions: 2 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well since the wife's passing, I have been going through a lot of stuff,,, and as yet I have not found any treasures, just stuff... And I figure when I go, the kids will find the same,, no treasures, just stuff to throw away

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Wife has always been on a de-clutter kick. I (most likely) helped a hoarder by cleaning out several projects of mine that were not going anyway. I made sure it was worth his trip to fill his 5x10 trailer and the back of his Suburban!!! Boy, I miss some of the junk that I got rid of but it's also, liberating clearing out some space (and getting the wife off my back) :ROFLMAO:

What is this thing you called "move"???? Been in the same house since 1989... will most likely die here, too.

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
ctfjr - - after MANY years, I recognized that as BASIC.

I wrote a program to value timber while in college. Remember the entire thing was like 15 feet long when printed.

Can scarcely operate a computer or cell phone anymore.

We've been here since 1991. Few years ago, pulled an office paper-box from storage over the garage. Been there since 1991 when we moved in.

Had one mud flap and a piece of sytrofoam packing in it......I added to that the used distributor cap I found in the cellar for my 1986 Ranger. Gone now, but why did we keep those?!?!!?

Someone will find good stuff, but we're gonna leave a lot of treasures like that paper box....

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I have lots of 'stuff' that needs to be 'relocated'...
4 original TRS80 Model 100 laptops, used to detect radioactive steel and some TRS80 Model III versions of Visicalc and the Enhanced version as well.....

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Well since the wife's passing, I have been going through a lot of stuff,,, and as yet I have not found any treasures, just stuff... And I figure when I go, the kids will find the same,, no treasures, just stuff to throw away
Skeets, You need to watch the movie "About Schmidt" starring Jack Nicholson. It will cheer you up.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
In preparation for listing / selling the house I started to clear out our attic. When we moved here 34 yrs ago A ton of 'stuff' was 'temporarily' stored there. lol. Still there - must be real important stuff :)

So I'm up there today and find this in one of the boxes:
View attachment 86272
At the time I had a Northstar Advantage (all in one - keyboard, computer, display) and wrote this program for the kids. Ok I wrote it for me but the kids played it. I sure did like to comment a lot :) Probably to help me more than anyone else.

I had never programmed in Basic before so it was a learning experience! Can't wait to go back in the 120 deg attic tomorrow to see what else I can dig up.

Anyone else discover long lost treasures when getting ready to move?
Where and why are you moving?

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
You have one more year :) We moved in here in 1988
Got you both beat, built and moved into this house in September 1974.

I did a lot of programming in MS Compiled Basic back in the 80s. An order entry and billing system for an RV drapery company, and another order entry program that would also print those annoying Tyvek "law labels" as they were called, for a company that made RV seating products. Each seat could take from one to four labels, and they were previously typing them all manually. One person could do what three were doing previously.
Somewhere in the archives I still have the 5.25" disks with the source code.

Last edited:

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I’ve been cleaning out my father’s house he recently vacated due to his death and my brother’s old house that he vacated about 20 years ago due to a job change that moved him several states away. We’ve found all sorts of stuff. This is just a small sample.

Unopened Jello boxes that expired in 1976. A small stack scrip issued by the State of North Carolina that was “good for exchange for $5 silver if presented at the Office of the State Treasurer in Raleigh before the end of the year 1864” (we missed that deadline) along with a little bit of CSA issued currency. Night vision goggles that were of the type that required I put them on and say to my wife, “I see you, Clarice” (not sure she appreciated that, but my brother did). Not sure what exactly he did with those but the ninja-esque ski mask he kept next to them on the shelf in the gun closet generated some questions to which we might not want answers.

Oh, and my crossbow. He borrowed my crossbow and the little tackle box of broad heads and other stuff that goes with it for deer season probably 7 or 8 years ago. Then for some unknown reason he denied having it and wouldn’t give it back. On one of his hospital admissions a couple years ago I found the crossbow out in plain sight in the corner of his bedroom while watering his houseplants so I repossessed it. It’s a crossbow so it’s about the size of a crossbow. Not like you can set it in the corner and not know it’s there. He still denied having the tackle box of accessories but I found it in the bottom of a closet in the old sewing room under a bunch of scrap cloth recently. I still had 3 rifles and 2 shotguns at my house so not like he was denying me access to weapons; just weird from my perspective.

Of course we also found all sorts of stuff from our childhoods: from old stuffed animals to toys, dishes, appliances, and the one spatula handed down from our paternal grandmother that was the only object my brother insisted on taking. And boxes and boxes of photos none of us had ever seen before.

Yeah, I might have some weird crap at my house too, but that’s not the subject of my post so no need to discuss any of that.

Last edited:

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
I just collect "good" stuff, my plan is to die and let somebody else deal with it. I would never make as a minimalist. I've found you're always sorry for things you didn't buy, sell or got rid of.

• Love

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
When my mom passed away in 2007, in her small freezer chest in the garage, she had a frozen 14# turkey from 1986. Which means it was bought in Houston, Tx and moved to Dallas in the early 1990's then moved to Las Vegas about 1998.

She would not have been able to lift it out of the freezer. Not to mention even find it at the bottom of the freezer based on how much other food crap was on top of it.

• Wow

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Helping dad clean out he parents house, we have found a few interesting items. Most, items that brought back memories from years gone bye. We found a box full of old videos that went on the old reel to reel player.

I'm guessing the most surprising find was a brand new Lincoln welder in the container that he and my grandma had somehow got down into their basement. It took a small army of us to get it out, so we had no idea how they got it down there. I need to ask my nephew if he ever figured out what year it is. Our guess was pre-1993 since that is when grandpa died.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
When my mom passed away in 2007, in her small freezer chest in the garage, she had a frozen 14# turkey from 1986. Which means it was bought in Houston, Tx and moved to Dallas in the early 1990's then moved to Las Vegas about 1998.

She would not have been able to lift it out of the freezer. Not to mention even find it at the bottom of the freezer based on how much other food crap was on top of it.

Have to be cautious when cleaning out a freezer left by passed souls. I know one guy who keeps large sums of cash usually in packages labeled "heart" or "tongue". His reasoning is in case of fire it will still be there, and in case of thieves they won't take those packages!!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Wife has always been on a de-clutter kick. I (most likely) helped a hoarder by cleaning out several projects of mine that were not going anyway. I made sure it was worth his trip to fill his 5x10 trailer and the back of his Suburban!!! Boy, I miss some of the junk that I got rid of but it's also, liberating clearing out some space (and getting the wife off my back) :ROFLMAO:

What is this thing you called "move"???? Been in the same house since 1989... will most likely die here, too.
"since 1989" ?
I have been in my house since 1942.
You just can't begin to imagine ..... 😪

• Wow

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Where and why are you moving?
Well, the wife really hates the cold weather. Most of our friends have moved to FL. I really want to go to NC. My wife says its too cold :(

FL it is. About 5 years ago we looked in the Jupiter Farms area. No HOA's, min 1-1/4ac lots and up to 5 or 6 acres on some. Unfortunately prices there have risen, a lot.