Chipper vs chipper shredder worth the extra $?

northcop

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Sep 11, 2013
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Good day gents,

Now that the friggin game of thrones-ish winter FINALLY appears to be over in my neck of the woods I am going full tilt trying to get my 10 acre yard ready for my wedding this summer. I have been looking a lot at chippers for my BX25D and have it narrowed down to 2 units. The wallenstein BXM32 chipper shredder and the wallenstein bx32 chipper only. My dealer has both these fine units coming in within a week and I plan on getting one of them but the bxm32 is far more expensive due to the added shredder. I have read several reviews on both these units and know that they are both very good and people seem happy with them so I'm content to use this brand. What I need to know is do I really need the shredder? It seems to me that anything the shredder would take like smaller branches could also be eaten up by the chipper portion. Anything above 3" is firewood to me so it's mostly just small branches to chew up. Is there anything I would specifically NEED the shredder for? Thanks in advance guys happy tractoring!

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
I think it depends on what you are putting in the machine: if all you are doing is branches (i.e., long-ish material) then the chipper is the thing. If you are looking to also reduce piles of leaves and smaller material the wide hopper of the shredder is a boon.

We maintain a small 5 acre property with a few trees and have a chipper/shredder. I'd venture to say that at least half of what goes through the machine goes in the shredder hopper. It would be hard to stuff some of the small stuff down the shredder throat.

northcop

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Sep 11, 2013
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Great thanks for the help guys! Those agriease machines sure look identical to the Wally and do seem way cheaper. I suspected the shredder would be best for leaves but who wants to load em all into the thing? Thanks again guys as always this forum is a huge help.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Good day gents,

Now that the friggin game of thrones-ish winter FINALLY appears to be over in my neck of the woods I am going full tilt trying to get my 10 acre yard ready for my wedding this summer. I have been looking a lot at chippers for my BX25D and have it narrowed down to 2 units. The wallenstein BXM32 chipper shredder and the wallenstein bx32 chipper only. My dealer has both these fine units coming in within a week and I plan on getting one of them but the bxm32 is far more expensive due to the added shredder. I have read several reviews on both these units and know that they are both very good and people seem happy with them so I'm content to use this brand. What I need to know is do I really need the shredder? It seems to me that anything the shredder would take like smaller branches could also be eaten up by the chipper portion. Anything above 3" is firewood to me so it's mostly just small branches to chew up. Is there anything I would specifically NEED the shredder for? Thanks in advance guys happy tractoring!
The wallenstein BXM32 is a great unit, but i am reaaallly looking at this :

http://www.woodmaxx.com/product_p/tm-86h.htm

it will do what i want it too, and is a bit cheaper but looks to be solid! Only problem is that everyone wants one, they are behind production.....

just my two cents....

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
You may want to consider other avenues as well.

If the cost difference is enough to warrant thinking about it, you can always pile up leaves and other light materials into a compost heap and mix them with your chippings. In about a year or two it makes a great thing to spread around or till into the soil. Don't make the piles too large or they can self ignite (seen it in person!), some make about 4' high rows if there is a lot of material.

Leaves and straw also are great for mixing is heavy clay soils and it breaks up the clay and puts organics into it. Add some sand and it can make for good growing soil after a few years.

You don't HAVE to have a shredder to deal with leaves and light brush, but it does make denser piles of the stuff! :cool:

Ezlife45

Equipment
B2650
Jun 5, 2014
Louisiana
This won't help you decide on what machine you will get but it's related.

I have an old school chipper/shredder from Troy Built. The chipper is just that, a sharp blade that will chip larger branches. My shredder has swinging flails that resemble small rectangles with an inverted corner at each edge of the blade. Typically the chipper has a limited volume due to the "cone" that leads to the chipping edge. Small branches, leaves etc will not flow into the chipper. The shredder is built for the smaller stuff that typically takes up the most space. The shredder has a much larger feed chute. However, if you put too big a chunk of wood into the shredder, it is not well received.

The chipper/shredder is the best of both worlds, your smaller limit is anything, the larger limit is the chipping capacity of your chipper. My chipper is only rated to 3" and I've reduced lots of stuff with the biggest volume reduction being the small stuff the shredder eats for a living.