Changing Transmission Fluid - L3400

Bob in MO

Equipment
L3400
Feb 9, 2015
Wentzville, MO
Last night I was working on my 400 hour service on my 2009 L3400.
Before changing the transmission fluid I looked at the site glass and the oil level was above the glass. I bought the tractor used a couple years ago and this was the first time I changed the transmission fluid. When I drained the fluid I would guess that I got about 7 gallons out.

The manual states that a 4WD Manual holds 7.3 gallons. It also states that "Oil level acceptable in this range" and shows a picture of the site glass with the oil half way.

Here's my situation. In order to get the fluid level to appear in the site glass at the half-way mark, I was only able to put in 5 gallons. I ran the tractor for few minutes, raised and lowered the FEL, ran the PTO and then turned it off. The fluid level would always return to the half-way mark in the site glass.

Should I add two more gallons or maintain the level at the site glass?

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Trust the sight glass. 2 extra gallons could cause a catastrophe. Keep an eye on the glass for a while in case you get a burp Never overfill it.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
if your site glass is difficult to see because of age or too much sun, you can change it out quickly, easily and about $7 cost. You can do it with the oil already in the tractor by being quick and have the tractor leaning with that side up higher. But before the change is made is obviously easier.