Chainsaw guys

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OK guys I still have the Husky and the Styel (sp) anyways, I have been kicking around a battery chainsaw for around the house. Just a lick and a promise kind of thing just limbs, Im not talking about fire wood cutting but something that is going to cut what I need cut,,, So ideas and I would like to hear from somebody that has one

Sparky Prep

Dec 24, 2022
South Florida
I have a 48v Kobalt from Lowes. It is good for trimming small branches, but you have to keep the chain SHARP, or you will struggle with it. Battery lasts a decent amount of time. For real jobs, I have a Stihl Farm Boss.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
ECO is what I got 56v and it does a nice job I don't remember if I got it from Lowes or Home Depot but like I said it's a decent one without braking the bank.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Skeets, like Sparky and Ed said, I know a few folks happy with a battery saw.

For what it's worth, sometimes if I just need a few little twigs, I put a "pruning" blade on my Milwaukee 18v reciprocating saw. Sometimes use it when chipping, and need to cut little forks off, etc. so they fit in my little chipper. Don't have to fart around with starting a gas engine each time I need it.

I think there's 3 blades in the package, and got them for $10-15 years ago.

(The Irwin blade is for splitting turkeys long-way so I can grill them... ;) )

I've got a Stihl 046 Magnum at 77 cc's and a little Stihl MS211. I use the little one more often as I get older.

Sometimes for little jobs the recip saw works fine, as I always have the batteries ready to go. The reciprocating saw is in the drawer with the rest of the Milwaukee tools that came in the kit.

I'm less apt to cut myself with that, too...:oops:

IMG_5838.jpeg

Last edited:

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I needed a small pruning saw that I could put on my lap and move from spot to spot without the hassle of a small gas saw. I ended going with the Milwaukee M18 Hatchet with a 8 inch bar. I have used it for pruning limbs but also cutting camp fire wood and scot pines up to 6 to 7 inch diameter. So far this has been a perfect solution for me. Still light enough that I can one hand it yet has decent size capabilities and excellent battery run time and cut speeds.
IMG_8479.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
With any battery-powered tool, you should consider which manufacturer has the broadest line of compatible tools that will function with the same battery. I did this and ended up with two chainsaws and a leaf blower that all use the same 40V battery. Additionally, the voltages of lithium batteries seem to be increasing 'regularly' (my stuff is approx 5 years old now), so 40V is likely mid-range or even lower now. I get almost one hour of steady use out of my 40V battery (4.0 AH?) when using my 16" chainsaw (Greenworks). I've also got 6 gas-powered chainsaws.

Code

Equipment
l3301, fel, lp boxblade, 12" lp auger, lp bush hog, z421 zt, lawnvac leaf vac
Dec 19, 2020
Central, Va
I have a dewalt 12” and 16” 20v. This is exactly what i use them for. Work great. I picked them cause i have about 20 batteries for them via tools. The only issue is the chain oil will leak out overnight unless you lay it on its side. I carry the 12” when mowing the fields as my treelines are a work in progress after former owners neglected things for 20 years.

+1 for recip saw too. Thats all my dad uses for limbing.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I have a family member at 77 yrs old still sells firewood he cuts and splits off his property. Unfortunately he's a john deere fan but I won't go into that. Anyway when he cuts down a tree and bucks it up. Most of it goes into firewood. The limbs down to 3" get cut up with his electric stihl chainsaw. But he just uses the electric on the tops and limbs. The rest he uses big gas saws that chew through them.
He says he loves his electric stihl though. So the folks that buy wood from him cut and split know when it's delivered. You get 3" stuff as well as the cut and split stuff.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I have had and used my 40 volt Ryobi chainsaw for several years. I also have a weed whacker , hedge trimmer, and pole saw on the same 40 volt platform. I am 100% pleased.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Skeets, as you well know buy something that uses batteries you use for other tools. Then ask what saws (size etc.) that use that battery family do people prefer. ;)

I have an EGO saw because I have a leaf blower that will blow the shingles off for cleaning out gutters without getting on the roof, and it's EGO. 56V battery, and I have nothing negative to say about their products.

Nice thing about an elec. chain saw is it's much safer than gas. When you let off the switch the motor stops. No idling down, just stops. Make is safe for just about anyone.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I have both the Milwaukee M18 chainsaw and a M18 pole saw, both are awesome. I cut up a decent sized tree that blew over and it only took a few batteries. No longer need ear muffs, just chaps, gloves, and a hard hat. I have quite a few M18 batteries(thinking like 14 or so).

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
The Stihl battery saws are excellent. My buddy brought one over and we cleared about 20-30 cedar trees and it didn't break a sweat. Went through them all like butter while my echo arborist saw with the same bar and chain struggled.

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
We bought a small 40v Ryobi about 5 or so years ago ( it was fairly new up here then) - been great for small limbing jobs and when feeding the chipper. Also bought the Ryobi 18v 8" pole chain saw and it's great for pruning without having to get a ladder. An 18" 40v brushless came as a free addon with the lawn mower - handy and decent power - for a little while. I get about 6 cuts on a 12" - 14" tree using a 6 amp battery - not great. I will haul out the Stihl if I have a real job to do.

edit: I do also use the Ryobi 18 v recip saw in tight to get to spaces.

Last edited:

trial and error

Equipment
B7100dt manual trans. homemade FEL, 4 way hydraulic dozer blade
Feb 16, 2023
NY
I have both the Milwaukee M18 chainsaw and a M18 pole saw, both are awesome. I cut up a decent sized tree that blew over and it only took a few batteries. No longer need ear muffs, just chaps, gloves, and a hard hat. I have quite a few M18 batteries(thinking like 14 or so).
Not to split hours but most chaos aren't rated for electric ir battery saws. I don't own a pair but that is what u have read and seen. I would be curious to know if the info I've found is wrong

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I have a small Kobalt as a complement to our Husqvarna 455 to do light jobs around the yards and keep on the Mule for clearing limbs from trails. Very light. Faster than a SuperSawzall with pruning blade in my experience. It has the bonus that my wife can safely and confidently use it. She won’t touch the 455 and I’m good with that.

No, it’s not a replacement for the Husqvarna, but it is a good complement. Kind like I have a L4701 with bush hog and a T2290 with belly mower; they’re both rotary mowers but quite different.

The electric is much better than the temperamental little gas arborist saws I’ve used off and on since my climbing days with a tree service 35 years ago. Still have one of those little PITA gas arborist saws gathering dust on a shelf. If I wanted another little arborist size saw for stuff like tree tops and pruning I wouldn’t consider anything other than electric at this point in technological development.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I also have the Milwalkee M18 20" chain saw.
It works excellent, I have a whole lot of batteries so It's never an issue keeping it running.
I have multiple chains, so I dull one and just swap it out quick, and keep going.
Used it just the other day to cut a bunch of trees and duff out of my way to set the storage container.
I really like the fact that it can ride around in the trucks tool box for months and is ready when needed.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

It will run 30-55 minutes continuously on one charge depending on outside temperatures (battery life drops below freezing). I have the 18" bar on mine. It will take down and delimb 24-30" diameter trees no problem, half the weight of a similar gas machine, less vibration, no stinky 2-stroke exhaust, quieter, comparable power to the gas saw, less operator fatigue,...

Usually my gas saw sits in the back of the UTV unless I get the blade pinched. If I'm dropping 36" diameter trees I use the gas saw.

You need to keep the chain sharp and the saw clean for best battery life. 30 minutes to recharge. Two batteries works good for me.

Watchmaker

Equipment
B2601 HST, LP RCR 1548, LA 435
Aug 20, 2015
New Hampshire
OK guys I still have the Husky and the Styel (sp) anyways, I have been kicking around a battery chainsaw for around the house. Just a lick and a promise kind of thing just limbs, Im not talking about fire wood cutting but something that is going to cut what I need cut,,, So ideas and I would like to hear from somebody that has one
OK. My wife and I are both USFS Certified Chainsaw Fallers.

Electric chainsaws are NOT approved. The reason for this is that existing chaps will NOT stall them.

Look at any of the warnings on the PPE pages of sites like Baileys or Foresty Supply.

Of course, if you are an occasional user who sez "I do not use a saw often enough to worry about PPE" I have some chaps to show that saved my leg when I got tired. And I have been working on backcountry trails for 20 years.

Even though NH is known for "Live free or die", I prefer to live free with all my parts.

• Angry
Reactions: 4 users

trial and error

Equipment
B7100dt manual trans. homemade FEL, 4 way hydraulic dozer blade
Feb 16, 2023
NY
OK. My wife and I are both USFS Certified Chainsaw Fallers.

Electric chainsaws are NOT approved. The reason for this is that existing chaps will NOT stall them.

Look at any of the warnings on the PPE pages of sites like Baileys or Foresty Supply.

Of course, if you are an occasional user who sez "I do not use a saw often enough to worry about PPE" I have some chaps to show that saved my leg when I got tired. And I have been working on backcountry trails for 20 years.

Even though NH is known for "Live free or die", I prefer to live free with all my parts.
I knew I wasn't crazy, just crazy enough to not use chaps which will probably change in the near future, I do wear ears and eyes without fail