Chain saw advice

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Do lots of reading and reviews about each model. I know Stihl is currently advertising their little 170 on sale for $159. It's a great size for limbing and cutting up to 15" trees. Every brand makes really high $$ saws, and entry level units, just make sure the one your looking at isn't the one that everyone sells at their first garage sale cheap, so they can get a good one!

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
A really nice saw to have for trimming and small trees. A little small for cutting down and cutting up bigger trees, 14" and up. I started with one that size and latter added an 18" bar 50cc saw, and now a 20" bar with 60cc. The 14" still gets the most use, but I needed more saw for the bigger trees. It depends on what you have to cut, for comparison I have red and white pines up to 24", up to 24" and popple up to 18".
My last saw is an Echo and so far looks good. Cut down and cut up four 24" red oak trunks over last weekend.

Last edited:

Bxmike

Equipment
Bx2670
Feb 11, 2017
ny
I bought a poulan pro 18 inch bar 15 years ago did most of what I needed as home owner . Ran ok lacked power sometimes had a hesitation when starting. It that drove me nuts . Replaced oiler and bar sold it in a rummage sale this spring and moved up to a husquvarna 450 18 inch bar . Not proffesional series but a much better saw . More money but more than worth it . Have cleared an acre on my hunting property and runs good . Only glitch is warm start I have to hold throttle wide open to get it to pop over has to go back to dealer for fix. Came with 6 year warranty.. I'm happy with it .

Cost of labor at local repair shop is 69 bucks/hr. A single repair plus parts makes a poulan a bick lighter disposable . Stiel is a good product but no service center around me . By brother inlaw has a new echo bought 2 months ago has been in for service.twice and still doesn't like to start.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
KC,

let me ask you this.........

How many saws do you wish to buy in the next , O, - 25 years??????

I would not by one just on sale, buy one that will last you a while and work as it should, I am not knocking Echo - but anything that is bought at a large superstore is not going to be the same as buying something that built better and will last longer.

For example, Lowes, HD and Walmart all sell "John Deere" stuff, lawn mowers, weed wackers, etc......HOWEVER - if you go to a JD store - the prices are much higher, butttttt - the machines are much better, there is a huge difference between a store bought JD mower and a JD factory mower - same is true with chainsaws.

Stihl (IMHO) is lights out the best saw out there, others might say otherwise, but I bought one in 1987 - had to put it on my credit card b/c I DID NOT have the money at the time and I was heating with firewood as my only source...... cost was $327 out the door, yes - I STILL have it today, and plan on using it today!!! so - that is a 30 year old saw that still runs well! I have gone through about 5 bars, and about 30 chains and it still runs better than any other saw I have ever touched!!!! The only problem I everrrr had with it was my dumb ass fault, ran ethanol through it - and it cracked all the fuel lines!!! lesson learned!

I know you might be looking for a "deal" - but stop by your local STIHL dealer in Columbus (you have a dozen around you) and see what they have - the warranty will be a couple of years, and you will have a saw that you children can use!;):)

Last edited:

BillK01

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, LP 1560 back blade, Front mount snow blower, Ferris ISX800 ZTR
Mar 17, 2017
Near Pittsburgh, PA
I agree with 85Hokie.

I bought a Stihl MS250 several years ago. It's sort of the upper end consumer model, but not quite on par with their commercial stuff and it's been bullet proof and done everything I've asked of it.

If you check the Arborist site forums I think you'll find Stihl is worth the little extra you'll pay. While I like Echo for most of their stuff (I have an older handheld blower and just bought a PB-770T backpack blower and they rock) I don't believe the Echo chainsaws are quite as highly regarded as the Stihl and Huskies.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I would highly recommend a much nicer saw that the one posted, but price wise, even though they are a better value, they are a different price range. Look at the Stihl MS 261 C-M. It's as light as the little saws, but with a 20" bar and 60cc engine, it's an awesome cutting machine. I sold my two little 30 and 35cc saws and got this.
Highly rated on the arborist forums too.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Echo has a 5 year warranty for home owners. They have a good reputation. Do your homework to decide how much saw you need and how much you're willing to spend. But buy the best say you can afford. Discover where (and the quality they offer) to get service before you need it.

Chain saws are like everything else sold in America. Every one who purchases something has an opinion and as humans we all want to think we made a good decision when purchasing something.

Sometimes it's the luck of the draw. I've got a Husky I bought in '85, cut more wood then I care to think about. I have 4 other saws. The don't get used. Why? I'm prejudice.

Kubota Christian

Equipment
B7100 HST 4WD
Jun 7, 2017
OH-IO
Can't tell you how much I appreciate the feedback! What got me thinking was a 14" Poulan Pro on Craigslist. The guy was asking $75 for it and said it was $150 new. Said he had only used it twice and I thought, "Wonder why?" Did some review searching and saw that there were lots of complaints about that particular model.

You guys will laugh but I bought a used battery-powered chain saw for my wife. We thought she could trim up some trees while I messed with the Kubota. It was an absolute joke. The lady who sold it to me was a good talker, that's all I know. But we will need it to take down a few trees early on, trimming limbs, and for storm damage later on.

So that's why I asked. I knew you guys would know. Consensus seems to be that I could get a bigger saw and probably have it for a long time. So I will go check the 18" saws out and will definitely check into Stihl as well. My dad just bought a trimmer from them and a professional landscaper said they're the best trimmer on the market so seems to have a diehard following. THX!

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
I've really enjoyed my Husqvarna 455 Rancher. Today I'd go for the Echo 310 you posted. Between Echo leaf blower, hedge trimmers and chainsaws plus Mantis (Echo, Shindiawa) garden tillers I know I can trust their products as long as I take good care of them and size the tool for the job.

Attachments

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
1. Stihl
2. Husky
3. Echo

The best advice I can offer is this: Especially for only occasional use, only run the pre-mixed fuel that comes in a can. Easy starts, every time, even after sitting for a few months. I bought some with my last Stihl saw purchase and they doubled the warranty on the spot. Gas just ain't what it used to be! ;)

workhorse

Jan 14, 2016
Alden, franklinville, boston
If you can find a nice used stihl or husky, that's the way to go. Reason being you can get alot more saw for less. Some of the new entry level saws are cheap... Granted they should last awhile but you may need to buy two over a period even if it's barely used. Some of the newer "cheap" stuff is not worth the repair bill whereas an older pro style saw is worth rebuilding 10x if need be. Just my .02. And I'm rarely right ( ask my wife )

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Buy once, cry once. Buy a Stihl. Don't necessarily agree with buying premixed fuel if you have a gas station near by that sells ethanol free gas. (I have several near me.) Always use Sta-Bil (or other gas treatment) and keep your tank full all the time when not in use.

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
Well imnukensc said it perfectly. Make sure if you are getting gas station gas it's absolutely ethanol free. I also swear by sta-bil and both my Stihl saws start immediately - I have a 4 year old and a 27 year old and both are used regularly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I started with a Poulan 'Wildthing'. A year later, it was dead, Home Depot (graciously) swapped out out for a Poulan Pro 260. It died about five years later. I bought another Poulan Pro 260. It died a year ago.
I dealt with low power, weight and difficulty starting along with fuel leaking out when in the case. It was so if the tree was under 8", I'd use a hand saw because the Poulan was such a pain. A few times, I just used a pole saw to fell a tree!
I would of be 10X smarter to of ponied up for a couple of Sthil saws at the get go.
I now own a Sthil MS 193 for limbing (if you are not doing a lot, it is a plenty adequate saw for most anything a single person can do) and a Sthil 261 C-M (so I can fell the 30" trees, bigger and I have a pro come). Both fire up instantly, weigh a lot less and have more power. And will last me until I an long gone.
It is like buying a tractor. You can buy a cheapie and hope it holds up or you can buy a sold, serviceable one that will last forever.

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, LA525-FEL, BMLX-3164 3pt Blower, 72" Coteck Sno Pusher, 60" Box Blade
Feb 20, 2017
St.Francois,New Brunswick. Canada
Buying my first gas chain saw soon for fairly light duty on 2.5 acre heavily wooded lot. Home Depot has this Echo for $199. Thoughts?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-14-in-30-5cc-Gas-Chainsaw-CS-310-14/100675457
I have that very same saw, and keep it on my Side by Sides. Works awesome, and starts up easily. It doesn't have the power of the bigger cc saws, but it get's the job done nicely. Better than hacking away with an axe, 35 miles out on the trail thats for sure.

PW1967

Equipment
1993 kubota b2150hsd, fel, back hoe, log spliter
Aug 11, 2016
colorado
Best advise I can offer is to go visit your local Stihl dealer, stay away from the big box stores for a chain saw purchase, your stihl dealer can set you up with the perfect size to fit your needs and provide you with any service you need after the sell.
I purchased my stihl 039, (which I think is the same as the ms 391 these days) 23 years ago and it has never let me down, never has failed to start or died while running. (Except for running out of fuel occasionally) and even that's not a good thing because you don't get the proper cool down when that happens. I am religious about using quality 2 stroke oil, good gas, keeping a sharp and well adjusted chain and clean air filter, and replace bar and sprocket as they wear.

I usually take it in for any service that it may need once a year and he usually just gives it a good cleaning, replaces the plug, throws a new sprocket and bar and says keep up the good maintenance and see you next year.

Pburchett

Equipment
MX5200HST
May 7, 2016
South Central KY
If you want a good one that will last (whatever the brand) get one with a magnesium crank case. They will outlast the plastic ones, but cost a lot more. $500 and up.

Dark Age 53

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 25, 2017
Dewitt
If you go with a Echo I'd suggest going with the Echo 18 in. 40.2 cc one, that's what I have and it works great.