Cement Mixer 3pt. hitch

mikej38

Equipment
BX25 and RTV900
Sep 18, 2011
Canada
I have a BX25 and was thinking about buying a cement mixer for the three point hitch. This is the one I might get:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/3-point-hitch-cement-mixer/A-p8214231e

With the backhoe off there seems to be a few choices as to where I can connect the hose from the cylinder on the mixer. I understand that gravity tilts the mixer down and the hydraulic cylinder pulls it back up again. I just cant figure out how it's controlled. Is there a valve on the mixer or do I need to purchase one separately. Any thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated.

redmaher

Jun 23, 2016
US
The p.t.o. will run the mixer. I would think there should be a valve for the hydraulic dump. 3pt will only raise and lower not dump.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You would have to have a remote valve on the tractor to control it.

Also you might want to re-read the specs in that model as it says it requires 25HP and you only have 17.5HP that one heck of a difference. :(
Trying to run an implement that requires more HP than the tractor can provide will severely limit the implement from working properly and possibly do damage to the tractor. ;)

Another thing to note: the dry weight of that unit is 235lbs, and with it loaded with concrete, rock, sand, and water you could easily exceed the lift weight of 660lbs@24 inches.

Last edited:

mikej38

Equipment
BX25 and RTV900
Sep 18, 2011
Canada
That's what I thought about the valve. I don't think it would be a difficult task to install one, just more work and cost.

I did notice on the specs that it calls for 20-25HP and mine is 23HP so I thought I was good. However, you are correct in that at the rear PTO there is only 17.5HP. I guess when they refer to HP they are talking PTO and not engine. As for the lift weight, 660lbs@24" that's a far cry from the 900lb mixer/concrete total weight. I guess once a full load has been mixed i would not be able to move it.

Some of the reviews I've read were from people using them on the BX25 and they are pleased with how they work. They may not be using them often or to capacity or maybe causing harm to the tractor in the long run.

I'm going to have to rethink this. I haven't seen a smaller unit locally so I may have to move to a stand alone unit. Thanks for your comments.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have a gas powered mixer that I put a three point hitch on it so I could move it around easier! ;)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I dont understand why someone would want to BUY something that involves hard work. Its like paying to work.

Its funny, years ago cement mixers were commonplace,everybody had one to the point where you couldnt give one away. Now that i want one, a well used one isnt easy to find.

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
I have a "cheap" electric one...I strap it to a pallet with my generator and fork it where I need to mix. Or mix and pour into 5 gallon buckets...

How much concrete are you mixing?

mikej38

Equipment
BX25 and RTV900
Sep 18, 2011
Canada
Those are some good ideas for the stand alone mixers. Locally the electric one is $249 and the gas powered one is $399. They both make 3 cubic feet of concrete. The PTO model is $999 and makes 5 cubic feet.
I have three jobs that will require about a cubic yard each and then a bunch of little jobs "fence posts" that will require only small amounts.
"Wants vs Needs" always makes deciding more difficult.

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
Go electric...that's one less engine to PM. I run my electric for fence posts and just 5 gallon bucket the concrete to the post. I only have 17 acres...and honestly compacted 3/4 minus locks a post almost as good.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
For fence post I would not bother with mixing concrete. You can buy a bag a post mix by Sacrete (or some other brand) and simply pour it in the hole after you have set the post in place. Tamp it in tight. The Sacrete mix will draw the moisture out of the surrounding soil and set up tight.

If you really want to save money and time, get a load of "screenings". Your location may call them something different, but it is the "trash" at the quarry. Cheapest material at the quarry. Get your tractor bucket full as you go down your fence line and dump some as you would the Sacrete. After a couple of days you'd swear you poured concrete in that hole!!

mikej38

Equipment
BX25 and RTV900
Sep 18, 2011
Canada
It is larger and requires 40hp which the BX does not have. I think I'm going to do what maclean does, strap on an electric one to a pallet with a generator and fork it around. That way I can keep my digger on. Thanks for the Agri Supply link though. It's a cool reminder of how much more things cost north of the border.