Cell phone lost in the field

Profnohair

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1500, 42" bh, box blade, G6200HST, Mahindra 450 with BH, FEL, etc.
I know I read about someone getting their cell phone redesigned by their bush hog but don't remember a discussion about phones lost in the fields.

Today I was bush hogging and my phone disappeared somewhere between doing that and going to Tractor Supply.

Anyone else's phone mysteriously disappeared while in the fields?

I searched as good as I could (during a thunderstorm) and even tried to use the screaming feature of www.myoutlook.com to find it to no avail.

Filed a claim for a new one from the insurance company. It will be here on Monday with an upgrade to boot.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I take my phone off and leave it in my truck for that very reason. I cant break it or loose it if its not directly on me. Also the very reason why I have a cheap pos cell phone, cheaper to replace if lost or broken. I have what I call a stupid phone its not as fancy or educated as one of those smart ones.

Profnohair

Lifetime Member

Equipment
I take my phone off and leave it in my truck for that very reason. I cant break it or loose it if its not directly on me. Also the very reason why I have a cheap pos cell phone, cheaper to replace if lost or broken. I have what I call a stupid phone its not as fancy or educated as one of those smart ones.
I think that is going to be my new procedure. I will leave it in the truck and the calls will have to wait. But I cannot go back to a stupid phone. Actually I am getting a upgrade on the new one.

asbug

Equipment
B7001 - looks orange to me... Woods 5' scrape, 42" rotary cutter, shreader/chip.
Feb 11, 2011
Varnell,GA - USA
Although not a phone, I had a simular occurance once..
I was rotary cutting large growth weeds and small trees on a piece of property when I saw a poof and confetti comming out the back of the cutter.
At that point I realized my checkbook was gone out of my back pocket.

Luckally It all worked out, but I do leave most every thing in the house or car when cutting/ working with tractor.
KC

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
This day in age where everyone depends on their phone for damn near everything it sometimes can be hard to leave your phone off at a distance away from you. Sometimes I hate the thought of leaving it in my truck while I'm working on the tractor, but often times I find its a distraction to have it with me and keep me from doing work because I end up stopping completely to talk or text. I really don't like the idea of it being off at a distance incase someone needs to get ahold of me for an emergency situation or if something happens to me and I need help.

More often then not for me I leave my phone in my truck and focus on the tractor work which makes me money. Knock on wood I've never needed my cell for an emergency purpose and I stop about every hour or so and check the phone and see if there's a valid reason to talk or text back. The general "hey what's up" texts just have to wait til I'm done.

henrysbe

Equipment
l3400 woods bh80 backhoe post hole digger brush hog box blade rototiller
Jun 26, 2011
Sedro Woolley wa
While mowing a field, I suddenly realized I wasn't moving anymore. I was right in the middle of a creek covered by the grass and had 3 axles high centered and my bucket was in soup. 6 hours later when I finally got the tractor on solid ground, I noticed my 2 month old cell phone was missing. Tried calling it with no avail. Ended up using my old phone until contract was up. The phone is still in the mud somewhere so I now insure my phone as I think tractors can be very hard on cell phones.:(

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Several years ago well ok more than several, my oldest daughter came to my deer stand saying dad theres something makeing a funny noise by my stand,, so off we go down to her stand sat a listened for a bit nothing, then suddenly I hear a funny sound too,, some dichead set up a ladder stand about50 feet from her stand facing the other direction and he was sitting there on his very early cell phone jawin away on the first day of deer season,, Need less to say he spooked every deer in 500 yards with that damn thing

Profnohair

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Several years ago well ok more than several, my oldest daughter came to my deer stand saying dad theres something makeing a funny noise by my stand,, so off we go down to her stand sat a listened for a bit nothing, then suddenly I hear a funny sound too,, some dichead set up a ladder stand about50 feet from her stand facing the other direction and he was sitting there on his very early cell phone jawin away on the first day of deer season,, Need less to say he spooked every deer in 500 yards with that damn thing
I don't hunt but even I know that you have to be "veeeerrry, veeeerrry quiiiiiet" as Elmer Fudd would say.

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
It amazes me just to stop and take a look anywhere it seems nowdays and see how many people are engrossed in there phones, in many cases to the detrement of what task they are acomplishing at the time. In fact, having the distraction of a cell phone can be a definate SAFETY issue.

A perfect example was the lady that walked into a pool at the mall while engrossed in her phone.. hang the dang thing up and pay attention to the task at hand!

While phones have there place, and I have two cell phones (one is a Blackberry), I actually leave them off or in another room when my FULL attention is required to the task at hand. Moving machinery, shafts, blades and such in my opinion require such due diligence.

If I think I will need the phone in a emergency, then it is carried, but TURNED OFF until such time as a emergency arises. If I am expecting a important call, then I adjust my scheduale as such that I can monitor the phones, without putting myself or others at risk by doing a task that needs one's FULL and UNDIVIDED attention.

Really, people can be unplugged, the world continues, emergencies get handled and life goes on..... Just as it has for thousands of years......

Just my two cents, David

Last edited:

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
With a 90 year old mother, four kids, seven grand kids and almost two great-great grand kids, I keep mine on and on me at all times. I hate talking on any phone and avoid it whenever possible, I guess because I spent so much time doing it when I worked, but when I need one or someone needs me, I want to have it handy.

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
When I was a kid, my dad lost his wallet while discing. There was a couple grand in it so it was badly missed back in the 70's. We were promised a new bike if we found it. I know we walked and looked for three days till I gave up on a new bike. It was never found. Somewhere in a field in Butler Missouri there is a leather wallet with some cash in it.
I hope someone has better luck finding it than we did. LOL