CCW Insurance

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
CCW Insurance...

I figure that "tractor people" are reasonable folks that may primarily live in the country and have a few self protection devices for themselves.

Just wondering how many of you have/considered some sort of CCW insurance policy. If you have some, who did you go with and why?

I'm thinking about doing something for myself and the Mrs. Can't make any sort of hand gestures now in PA (not that I do that anyway), but seems like things are getting quite contentious lately. Seems like all it would take would be for someone to say that one did this or that to create the proverbial shtstorm.

I have my own steel range on my property, with a very large berm. Yet, I still get a little nervous whenever I head out for a range session. I try to be respectful of neighbors (short sessions, non holidays, mostly midweek). Additionally, I always call the local police non-emergency number and tell the dispatch who I am, where I live, and what I'm doing. So far, all has been fine.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
We have USCCA for the wife and I. I hope and pray that we never have to find out how good the insurance is, but I would much rather have the hope of a good defense than rely on the good will of a State Attorney.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I hear what you are saying, and yes the Keystone seems like it is headed the way of some other states. I have seen a few horror stories about a good guy getting all twisted around, by liberal judges. I dont know what the cost is, but it may well be something worth looking in to

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have my own steel range on my property, with a very large berm. Yet, I still get a little nervous whenever I head out for a range session. I try to be respectful of neighbors (short sessions, non holidays, mostly midweek). Additionally, I always call the local police non-emergency number and tell the dispatch who I am, where I live, and what I'm doing. So far, all has been fine.
If I did that up here, they, The sheriff, would be sending out the men in white coats to haul me off to the Loony Bin. :p

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
A buddy of mine had a small parcel of former farm land he used for a range before hunting season. The town grew around it as developers bought it all up.

He started getting swatted as people would call it in when he went shooting.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Additionally, I always call the local police non-emergency number and tell the dispatch who I am, where I live, and what I'm doing. So far, all has been fine.
A lot of neighbors here shoot as well.
But down here if we DON'T hear gunfire on a regular basis we assume something is wrong.
The weekends are a guarantee of two things:
The sound of tractors mowing the grass and the sound of gunfire......
as God intended it.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
I think homeowners insurance will cover liability if you "accidentally" kill an intruder.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Homeowners' insurance may indeed come to the rescue. Check your coverage and your limits. Of course any red flag laws may see you disarmed with little or no recourse legally possible.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Honestly, never heard of CCW Insurance.

Our area is definitely well-armed, even for upstate New York. Like others said, the sounds of gunshots are common year ‘round.

I would investigate what CCW insurance really covers.

I’m just guessing it’s not necessarily for popping off some rounds in your back yard, but more for actual CCW incidents that may happen off your property while carrying a concealed weapon.

I’m just guessing, so I might be far afield...no pun intended![emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
If I did that up here, they, The sheriff, would be sending out the men in white coats to haul me off to the Loony Bin. :p
I'm only doing what the local pd suggested. That way, if someone were to call and complain, they can simply tell them all is ok, and they've checked out my range. Now, they won't even bother coming to my place.

It sure has changed around here...lots of "out-of-staters" that just aren't used to hearing country sounds. A guy down the road from me shoots on his 2 acre lot. His backstop is within 50 yards of his neighbors house, and he's out blasting for hours. I just don't want to be "that guy". So, if a phone call will head off any issue, I'm ok with it.

The only other ranges within close proximity, are "club" and public ranges. I won't go to a public range and the club ranges wont allow steel targets. Punching paper doesn't really excite me. So, I just want to keep and enjoy what I have for as long as I can.

MC- not sure about the homeowners thing. But I wouldn't think it would do squat anyway when off the property.

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
From my research, it seems that USCCA is the best. Something we need to do as well. For the same reasons.

I've had the neighbor across the street comment to me "randomly" that he doesn't care for people shooting high power stuff (sets his dog off) but it's fairly routine around here. Even though there are two ranges within 5 miles. Even so, I just keep to 22LR at woodchucks at home and go to the range for anything over.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Honestly, never heard of CCW Insurance.

Our area is definitely well-armed, even for upstate New York. Like others said, the sounds of gunshots are common year ‘round.

I would investigate what CCW insurance really covers.

I’m just guessing it’s not necessarily for popping off some rounds in your back yard, but more for actual CCW incidents that may happen off your property while carrying a concealed weapon.

I’m just guessing, so I might be far afield...no pun intended![emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Run down of the legal defense side of it.

And I wouldn't count on homeowners insurance to do much if it's a home invasion that you're defending against.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Run down of the legal defense side of it.

And I wouldn't count on homeowners insurance to do much if it's a home invasion that you're defending against.
Thanks for that. True, home invasion/robbery scenario is dicey, depending on where you're located.

As the old saying goes, the devil is in the details as far as how it really works in practice.

I've run across some neighbor disputes relative to home-based shooting. As long as proper set-back distances are met, and it's not a public/ commercial function, law enforcement won't go near it. Leaves it a civil action, and I don't think it works there either.

Again, varies from place to place. Like dirtydeed said, a whole lot of suburbanites don't help when they move to the country..... regardless of where you are...

Learned something new today. Had no clue about this kind of insurance. At the rate NYS is going, I better keep it in mind......

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I'm thankful of a couple things. One, Michigan is chock full of gun nuts and they all shoot for a hobby. Two, I live on a farm in a remote rural area and I have my own private 350 yard range with covered shooting benches a 1/2" steel backstop at 350 yards capable of stopping anything I (we shoot). I shot distance and close u and have steel targets and target boards at 100-200-250-300 and 350 yards. My reloading room is 75 feet from the bench. Three, you can shoot on my range anytime you want, only have 2 rules, no alcohol and no kids. The Township Supervisor is a regular visitor as is all my hunting buds and a couple retired LE, one is a Federal guy.

Never considered concealed carry insurance, If I have to use it for defense, the last thing I'll bet thinking about is taking any hostages.

Finally, the site continues to be super slow. If it continues, people are going to get discouraged and post elsewhere....

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Whats the cost do you know?
There are 3 price plans. $22, $30 & $47 per month. Use your favorite search engine to search "USCCA" to find their website and click on "JOIN NOW" to view the price plans.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
lots of our guys have CCW insurance... dont know of a single one of them thats ever USED it.

there are quite a few outfits who offer it now, but the only PROVEN one who ever paid out or sent lawyer support for their customers?

It was sponsored by:

Jews for the Preservation of Firearms.

NO you dont have to be Jewish to be a member.

US Law Shield has a good reputation

USCCA is another..

https://concealedcarrysociety.com/insurance/

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Thanks for the links guys, I'll start reading. As I recall hearing from others, it really isn't that costly to have.

zload

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2400HSD/47 John Deere Model M
Apr 14, 2015
FL
Many if not most homeowner insurance policies have an exclusion for "intentional acts" which has historically included self-defense acts including fist fights, punching, knife and firearm related events historically. Each state will have its own case law (and insurance policy) but it is pretty well settled that shooting someone even in self-defense is an intentional act.

Homeowner policy would typically only respond to civil liability (being sued) not criminal (being arrested/charged/trial).

Some HO policies apparently do allow for self-defense civil liability protection but you would need to verify if yours does with your agent and in your state. I know this because my agent just pointed out that my policy recently changed to include self-defense liability coverage for civil issues. Would probably be a good conversation to have with your agent before assuming you are covered.

I'm not a lawyer nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express so YMMV.