CAT theft

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Counting on the crack head that goes for it to not have an angle grinder and attempt to use a reciprocating saw but yeah if they want it they will get it. There are no fool proof devices to stop this. That being said, I have to try something. I can’t install an air suspension that slams to the ground when it detects vibrations no matter how satisfying it would be.
Put the penalty on the scrap yards. No paperwork or title copy for that cat, 5k fine. Next offense 20k. Third you lose your business license for 3 years. People doing it right will comply. Guys just out for a buck will bitch.

Reactions: 1 user

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
A friend owns a general repair shop. One of his commercial customers owned a fleet of those new high top vans, Ram, i think,,,,, Mercedes. The thieves broke into his lot, cut several cats off but got into a wireing harness on one. Shorted out the harness and killed the computer. 18 thousand dollars to get it fixed. Took 3 mths to get all the parts. Vehicle only had 18 thousand miles on it. I've been looking for a sign that says,," Don't steal from me, I own a gun and a backhoe"

• Angry

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
They were hitting commuter lots in the DC area not long ago. 50 at a time. Heathens.
Thieves aren't necessarily heathens. They're statistically more likely Christians, bad Christians, but Christians nonetheless.

• Dislike
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
It’s all about discouraging the tweakers. These devices plus high temp paint and anything else that will make the tweaker move onto the next unit rather than hitting yours is really only the current option for places like Portland OR and Vancouver WA.

You know what’s worse to me? Drilling and draining a 1T+ pickup diesel tank. Mate had his F250 hit recently and it took 6 weeks to source the gas tank. Dealer said they could find cats faster….. insurance covered the tank but not the full tank of diesel.
Adds insult to the injury.

Reactions: 1 users

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
A friend owns a general repair shop. One of his commercial customers owned a fleet of those new high top vans, Ram, i think,,,,, Mercedes. The thieves broke into his lot, cut several cats off but got into a wireing harness on one. Shorted out the harness and killed the computer. 18 thousand dollars to get it fixed. Took 3 mths to get all the parts. Vehicle only had 18 thousand miles on it. I've been looking for a sign that says,," Don't steal from me, I own a gun and a backhoe"
There you go:

Here is another one:

Last edited:

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
They don't just speak what you are saying.
I believe Evil Twin called the thieves Heathens, and I replied they were more likely Christians. Since ~70% of Americans, and over 50% worldwide are some strain of Christians, and whereas a statistically insignificant number identify as Pagan, which encompasses Heathens, I believe the statistics support what I am saying.
If you are a Christian and that offends you, well, I can't help you out on that. Christians, like all others are guilty of doing bad things, whether they will admit it or not.

• Love

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I have close ties to a scrap yard.

They already have to jump through hoops to buy cat cons. They have to submit paperwork every so often of each and all of them. All the laws that are already on the books work just fine, but they also cost the scrap yard owners, which means they don't pay as much.

The problem is not so much the scrap yards but the illegal buyers and sellers, of which are usually not scrap yards (but sometimes are). Those guys/gals run under the radar but it's honestly easy to find out who they are. It's just not a high priority, not here anyway. Although, I think sometimes it should be based on the number of folks I see/hear of that are getting theirs stolen.

Luckily my old truck doesn't have one and I prefer it that way.

I parted a car out a while back, it was on my property when I moved--what was left I took to the scrap yard up the road. They made me fill out a bunch of paperwork, and then I had to give them my DL and fingerprints because of the cat cons that were on the car. I thought it was kind of dumb but I know why they do it. Keeps the law off their back.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I believe Evil Twin called the thieves Heathens, and I replied they were more likely Christians. Since ~70% of Americans, and over 50% worldwide are some strain of Christians, and whereas a statistically insignificant number identify as Pagan, which encompasses Heathens, I believe the statistics support what I am saying.
If you are a Christian and that offends you, well, I can't help you out on that. Christians, like all others are guilty of doing bad things, whether they will admit it or not.

These must be 'CINO's' then. Akin to RINO's..........