Carry-All bent frame at pins

kckndrgn

Equipment
BX2370 w/ 60" MMM and FEL, Box Blade, Bush Hog, Carry All & Tiller
Mar 17, 2016
Somerville, TN
Afternoon all,
I was able to pick up this carry-all at a nice discount due to then damage to it. Figured one way or another I can get it to work.

Looks like someone either overloaded it or somehow pulled the pins so they bent the frame. Looking at the carry-all from the tractor side the left side is not to bad, but the right side has a significant bend to it.

You can see how the frame where the pins are located has been bent. I'm going to use this, hopefully, on my BX so I don't think I can use the top holes that are already on the CA.

What are my options? Heat and use a BFH to pound the frame back to a straighter position. Or, go 1" lower/higher and drill a new hole to mount the pins?

Thanks in advance for any help or other options.

Attachments

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Heat and a BFH will straighten out the angle. Then reinforce it with some 1/4 x 2 flat stock like in the image and it will be better than new.

Attachments

L4740

Nov 23, 2009
3rd Rock From The Sun
I may be inclined just to use it the way it is. Your BX will not bend it any further. The ball sockets at the end of your lift arms will accommodate that slight bend. Now if you want to make it pretty again, then follow the above instructions.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Yup, what they said, except I'd use a BF Pipe.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Pull the pins and put a pipe wrench with a cheater pipe on it, on the bend of the angle iron and it will bend right back. ;)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Looks like it was on a fairly heavy tractor and the front bottom got caught on something and the tractor kept on moving!

Since you're using it on a small tractor whatever you do to it only has to satisfy you.:D It'll work as is or modified.

nzzshl

Equipment
1982 Yanmar GT14(YM146), 2015 BX25, BX5450 snowblower
Jan 12, 2015
Fenton, Mi
Judging by the downward angle of the pins, it would appear that the damage was not induced by something too heavy bearing down on the yellow horizontal load arms but rather an extreme vertical load pushing up from the bottom (or ground side of the arms). It was like someone grounded the base somehow, pushing up on the entire unit without the 3 points lift arms able to react when located on the lift pins. Having an a very basic understanding of the directional loading to cause the damage will go a long way in preventing a repeat after the existing damage is corrected. Maybe I am all wet in my presumption.

Last edited:

kckndrgn

Equipment
BX2370 w/ 60" MMM and FEL, Box Blade, Bush Hog, Carry All & Tiller
Mar 17, 2016
Somerville, TN
I don't see the pins bent in a downward angle, but a forward angle.
Correct, pins were pulled forward towards the tractor. So it was like the unit was stuck on something and they kept pulling. I don't know.

Thanks for the input. I got some of the bend out of the right side, about 1/2 and i think I will leave it at that. I removed the damaged paint and primed it last night. I may just sand the whole thing an repaint it since there are a few spots where the paint has chipped away and it's rusting. Or I may not, LOL