carbide coated mower blade search

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
I had seen someone online talking about mower blades for a RCK60B-22BX which were carbide coated and according to him, these blades lasted longer and cut better. Sadly, I can't seem to find the link where I saw these.

I've checked on ebay but most of the blades are not for -22BX but -23BX. I don't know what difference this would be but I don't want to buy something and it doesn't fit.

So, if anyone has a moment and knows, I'd appreciate knowing the specs of blades to order for this mower. I think the brand was Oregon Carbide Gator Fusion but sure can't find it now. Maybe I have the wrong brand, etc.

Thanks for helping.

Tractor Gal

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Something like this? Not sure of the size. I bought some from AgriSupply for one of my Caroni decks.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Something like this? Not sure of the size. I bought some from AgriSupply for one of my Caroni decks.

Looks like a good start, chim. Thank you. I'll check sizes, especially mounting hole diameter.

TG

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
I has teh Part #396-612 Oregon G6 on my RCK60.

I has teh satisfactory mowing/mulching experience.

Ze Germans have a word for it: fahrvergmöwing.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
I has teh Part #396-612 Oregon G6 on my RCK60.

I has teh satisfactory mowing/mulching experience.

Ze Germans have a word for it: fahrvergmöwing.
Thank you, hagrid. Seems these blades work all over the world! Wish I knew some German to respond. I'll look into this part #.

Tractor Gal

Reactions: 1 user

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
I have used these blades on my ZD 323. In my sandy soil they did not last much longer than the OEM blades and they cost more. Hopefully they will work for you.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
I have used these blades on my ZD 323. In my sandy soil they did not last much longer than the OEM blades and they cost more. Hopefully they will work for you.
Good to know, CGMKCM. I guess in the big picture, it's "how you mow." Or, maybe included in that is "what you mow." :) I've sharpened the blades that came with the mower so we'll see how they do. No point to buy new until I see how things go.
But, I do appreciate the comments from those who responded.

TG

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I had same experiences with a couple sets of oregon blades. Cost more, don't cut any better, don't last no longer. I use OE kubota blades exclusively now. When I had my Deere, same thing. OE blades cut better and cost a little less. And easier (for me) to get them since there's a deere dealer within a minute of where I work, and secondly not a single place in the 30 minute radius keeps any oregon or gator blades in stock unless they're for Murray's or the like. That's what they're more geared toward anyway, those oregons are a little less expensive than oe crapsman/ayp/murray/mtd/yard man blades.

reminds me. I had to work on my friend's mower a while back. Just poorly maintained, I had to fix a lot of little things that were neglected (like briggs valve adjustment). It was a Wizard brand. Little older but in pretty good shape. Uses 2 different length blades (3 blade deck), 2 outside blades were the same, center blade shorter. Stupid setup. The cheapest set of blades I could find for it were over $85 for the set and they were aftermarket, OE was over $100. I can get a full set of 3 OEM mulching blades for my Kubota for $55 with tax.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
I had same experiences with a couple sets of oregon blades. Cost more, don't cut any better, don't last no longer. I use OE kubota blades exclusively now. When I had my Deere, same thing. OE blades cut better and cost a little less. And easier (for me) to get them since there's a deere dealer within a minute of where I work, and secondly not a single place in the 30 minute radius keeps any oregon or gator blades in stock unless they're for Murray's or the like. That's what they're more geared toward anyway, those oregons are a little less expensive than oe crapsman/ayp/murray/mtd/yard man blades.

reminds me. I had to work on my friend's mower a while back. Just poorly maintained, I had to fix a lot of little things that were neglected (like briggs valve adjustment). It was a Wizard brand. Little older but in pretty good shape. Uses 2 different length blades (3 blade deck), 2 outside blades were the same, center blade shorter. Stupid setup. The cheapest set of blades I could find for it were over $85 for the set and they were aftermarket, OE was over $100. I can get a full set of 3 OEM mulching blades for my Kubota for $55 with tax.
Good info, lugbolt. I'm learning more and more every day about this whole BX thing! It's a great little machine...as are many brands. Maintenance is the key, as well as not abusing while using. :) Thanks for the tip.

TG

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I tried hard facing the cutting edge. Yes the edge lasted a little longer but my sandy soil sand blasts the blades paper thin by the end of the season. I figure it's just cheaper and easier to replace the blades every spring.

I've been alternating with K high lift and cheaper oregon blades, whatever is the best price at the time.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
I tried hard facing the cutting edge. Yes the edge lasted a little longer but my sandy soil sand blasts the blades paper thin by the end of the season. I figure it's just cheaper and easier to replace the blades every spring.

I've been alternating with K high lift and cheaper oregon blades, whatever is the best price at the time.
Thanks, mikester. You must be doing a lot of mowing to get new blades every year! I'll just have to monitor and see what develops over the season. Thanks again.

TG

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
I put about 100hrs per summer mowing. I change blades 2x per year. I have been using these blades, they are much less expensive then the Kubota blades.

Blades

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Yesterday at the Kubota dealer, I learned that the cup washers have been designed to keep the blade spinning properly. The bottom one pushes up and causes the top washer to flatten a bit but the bottom one does not flatten very much, holding tension on the blade. Two are required on each blade for the RCK60B-22BX. This mower does not have the cup washers on any of the blades! Plus, one blade was missing the lock washer.

Yes, a little "off topic" for a request for opinions on blades but it all works together. :)

TG

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
Yesterday at the Kubota dealer, I learned that the cup washers have been designed to keep the blade spinning properly. The bottom one pushes up and causes the top washer to flatten a bit but the bottom one does not flatten very much, holding tension on the blade. Two are required on each blade for the RCK60B-22BX. This mower does not have the cup washers on any of the blades! Plus, one blade was missing the lock washer.

Yes, a little "off topic" for a request for opinions on blades but it all works together. :)

TG
You might want to go to the parts counter at your local Kubota dealer. Someone remove the two cup washers and added lock washers? Lock washers are not needed if the bolt is torqued correctly. This info is from my ZD series WSM. My deck is very similar to your deck.
Screenshot 2021-05-22 082404.png
Screenshot 2.png

Last edited:

Adf

Equipment
B7200HST
Nov 23, 2019
Joelton,tn
I had seen someone online talking about mower blades for a RCK60B-22BX which were carbide coated and according to him, these blades lasted longer and cut better. Sadly, I can't seem to find the link where I saw these.

I've checked on ebay but most of the blades are not for -22BX but -23BX. I don't know what difference this would be but I don't want to buy something and it doesn't fit.

So, if anyone has a moment and knows, I'd appreciate knowing the specs of blades to order for this mower. I think the brand was Oregon Carbide Gator Fusion but sure can't find it now. Maybe I have the wrong brand, etc.

Thanks for helping.

Tractor Gal
I cant tell you ehere to get them but my BadBoy mower comes with them and they do stay sharp incredibly longer

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
You might want to go to the parts counter at your local Kubota dealer. Someone remove the two cup washers and added lock washers? Lock washers are not needed if the bolt is torqued correctly. This info is from my ZD series WSM. My deck is very similar to your deck. View attachment 60274 View attachment 60275
I hear what you're saying, CGMKCM, but it's not the "lock washers" we all know and love. It is called a lock washer...notice in the diagram you sent. #7 is called a lock washer. It is the stop sign kind of lock washer. It fits directly onto the bottom of the shaft and is the same shape. No need to go to the parts counter. :)

TG

Reactions: 1 user

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
I cant tell you ehere to get them but my BadBoy mower comes with them and they do stay sharp incredibly longer
I hear ya', Adf. When I get new blades, I'll come back to this thread to check things out again. For now, I've just sharpened what is there and will see how it goes. I don't have to do a lot of mowing with this mower so all should be good for now. Thanks for your good report.

TG

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
I hear ya', Adf. When I get new blades, I'll come back to this thread to check things out again. For now, I've just sharpened what is there and will see how it goes. I don't have to do a lot of mowing with this mower so all should be good for now. Thanks for your good report.

TG
I hear what you're saying, CGMKCM, but it's not the "lock washers" we all know and love. It is called a lock washer...notice in the diagram you sent. #7 is called a lock washer. It is the stop sign kind of lock washer. It fits directly onto the bottom of the shaft and is the same shape. No need to go to the parts counter. :)

TG
I get it now. On the Messicks parts site they refer to that #7 piece as a blade holder.

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA
I have the 48 in deck. Diagram in the manual also shows cup washers. But in fact they aren't actually there on the machine. I've had it for 3years so far so good without them. I am sure the blades aren't slipping during use because I can see how clean it is on the spindle caps under the blades when I take them off to sharpen :)