Can't keep my subsoiler at depth

xsnrg

Equipment
L2850 with BF500 loader
Mar 27, 2023
Ringgold, VA
I'm trying to use a subsoiler and cannot get it to go down and stay down. I even hand dug a hole, dropped it in there and after about 20', it's come up to the top of the ground. I'm novice tractor owner and like many, was suprised to discover 3 pt hitches only have gravity fall and no down-pressure. I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong. It seems the angle of the subsoiler tooth should pull it downward, but mine doesn't seem to want to go down, just up. Should I be putting some forward angle or back angle on it by adjusting the top-link? My assumption is it's designed for the shank to be somewhat vertical when in use. Any tips, tricks, or instruction are appreciated. I watched a ton of videos on using subsoilers and 3 pt hitches, but didn't find any that addressed this issue or that were good 'how-to' videos. Thanks!

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Try the toplink adjustment, I'd tighten it quite a bit and see if the resulting sharper angle of attack helps.
And maybe tie a chunk of something heavy on the ripper frame for some added down force.

Reactions: 1 user

xsnrg

Equipment
L2850 with BF500 loader
Mar 27, 2023
Ringgold, VA
Try the toplink adjustment, I'd tighten it quite a bit and see if the resulting sharper angle of attack helps.
And maybe tie a chunk of something heavy on the ripper frame for some added down force.
Weights were my first thought, but then none of the videos I watched seemed to have any extra weight addded to the 3pt or implement and they were all going into the soil to full depth and staying there. I think I had my top link tightened most of the way in, but I'll check that and give it a try next time.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Top link is too long.
You need the point at a downward angle when it's in the dirt.
If you've got the top link as short as it will go, and there is no possible adjustment point on the subsoiler then you'll need to get a shorter top link.

Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
As others have said, you'll need to adjust the top link, one way or the other. You should have posted the make/model info of the subsoiler though. That way we'd be able to find the owner's manaul for it, see what it says as not all subsoilers are the same. My subsoiler is not adjustable,you just mount it,lower and go slow....down it goes.....It's probably 65 years young...one moving part. Simpler times back then !

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Take a picture of your subsoiler attached to the tractor and post it on here so people can see and give you better advice. Not only does the top link adjustment affect how the subsoiler works, but if the point is worn out it will affect it. I used to subsoil several hundred acres a year when I farmed. We rotated which fields we did so that we did the fields about every 3 years or so. It doesn’t need to be done each year. But as the points would wear out, the subsoiler would not want to stay in the ground as well because it wasn’t getting sucked down as much.

Last edited:

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
When I had the same issue, someone here suggested chaining it down to my drawbar, but adjusting my top link AND about 150 pounds of scrap iron on it worked for me.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
A subsoiler, if designed properly and installed right, will 'pull' itself down same as any plow.

Reactions: 1 users