Canopy. Are they good to have or not?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I didn’t build a canopy, but I did build a cover to prevent branches falling down on my head, and also to prevent me from falling against a tree, where it might slide on my side of the rollbar and squeeze me in my seatbelted seat, as the tractor tipped over. Just thinking of the worst possible case.

I actually found out that putting a piece of cloth over top turned my contraption into a canopy, which actually is very nice when in the field on the sunny day.

The top angled down in front and is narrow in the front as well, to help with not catching branches

73935020-AE30-4EF5-9DD4-2926BA30ED60.jpeg

Edit: The front uprights work really well as hand holds when getting on and off with muddy boots!

Last edited:

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I like it. That is very similar to my canopy that I linked to in Reply #39.

The front posts are very helpful with deflecting limbs/briars from me and the FEL control lever. (y)

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I like it. That is very similar to my canopy that I linked to in Reply #39.

The front posts are very helpful with deflecting limbs/briars from me and the FEL control lever. (y)
I've started looking at canopies and a search turned up this thread. So far I've looked at the OEM fiberglass model from Kubota, the down-draft ABS model from Orangeaftermarket.com, and the aluminum model from Artillian. I hadn't considered buying a golf cart canopy and making my own mounting bracket, but it's appealing given the cost of the three mentioned. I'll call a local golf cart dealer tomorrow and see if they have any canopies for sale.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I am very well pleased with mine and the 4 post design is very helpful for me since I am often in the woods.

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
Pictures please!!!

I made a shorter version of the ROPS for my BX23S, so I can drive it THROUGH the 7' garage door opening NOT hit the dang wall.... screwed an aluminum plate on for 'sunshade',works GREAT, keeps Mr. Sun off me as well as most raindrops. even works well when using the backhoe. Of course I added some LED headlights as the stock ones are, well, useless.....

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I just purchased a rhinohide canopy. I like how they can be installed lower on the rops, tool-less removal / install in seconds. They look like plastic garbage can lids and should hold up to the abuse of being tossed around easily.

I dont have a quarter inch of clearance with the rops folded halfway back to get under my door, so this was a solution that worked. Most of the others all attached a mount to the top of the rops, rather than the side.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I've started looking at canopies and a search turned up this thread.
I went with the one my Kubota dealer sells and LOVE it. It keeps me under shade during the hottest parts of the day. It is steel and solid as a rock. It was about $425 if I remember correctly.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I went with the one my Kubota dealer sells and LOVE it. It keeps me under shade during the hottest parts of the day. It is steel and solid as a rock. It was about $425 if I remember correctly.
And what brand might that be?

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
And what brand might that be?
Unfortunately I do not know the brand. Its the only one the Kubota dealer here sells (other than a smaller plastic one). Here are some good photos photos. If you type in 'kubota canopy' you can match the photos and maybe get a brand, I saw mine ...sorry. It is HEAVY and rock solid. The problem I have with the plastic ones (golf cart kind) is they break easier.

EDIT: In looking at my photos I see a sticker, let me look at that when I get home, if you think you may be interested.

Attachments

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I had the OEM canopy on my MX4800. It looks "right," and being fiberglass doesn't add noise. I mounted LED lights to the forward edge, which worked well. Keeps the sun and some rain / snow off you.

But I would caution, if you are working in areas with overhanging branches, the canopies are a liability.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I just purchased a rhinohide canopy. I like how they can be installed lower on the rops, tool-less removal / install in seconds. They look like plastic garbage can lids and should hold up to the abuse of being tossed around easily.

I dont have a quarter inch of clearance with the rops folded halfway back to get under my door, so this was a solution that worked. Most of the others all attached a mount to the top of the rops, rather than the side.

Thanks for the link. I took a look and that's a good product.

I stopped by a local golf cart sales and repair business this afternoon after picking up another binder and 20' chain for the trailer. I bought a used EZ-GO canopy for $75 and will make my own "quick detach" mounting system that keeps the canopy as low as possible. I'll paint the top of the canopy Kubota orange and might leave the underside white.

The canopy is very stiff and comes with nice bolt holes molded in. This should be a fun project.

canopy_02.jpg

canopy_01.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The cart roof I went with is for a EZGO.

View attachment 52494
I got it from a local golf cart guy.

I mounted it handles forward.

The install was a design/build. There is a channel that runs right across the back that I set on the ROPS and then propped up the front with a 2x4 down to the hood to get the height/angle right. From there I measured/made the frame for it to bolt to. It handles highway speeds without issue.
Why handles forward?

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA

I also went with the Rhino hide! I also have a low garage door. I drilled some extra holes in the bracket so when I need to get in the garage I first fold my rops back which leaves the top sticking straight up in the air! Then I fold the top down till its parallel to the ground and put a pin in each side. I dont even have to remove the top! I can also leave the top in that folded position if I choose and still use the tractor! You can hit low branches and nearly bend it in half and it just returns to its original position! Its nearly indestructable!

Reactions: 1 users

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
But I would caution, if you are working in areas with overhanging branches, the canopies are a liability.
That is odd, I would say the opposite,

"If you are working in an area with branches, the canopy can save your bacon."

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I agree with you. Branches for the most part will slide over the top of the canopy where I normally had to grab them with my hand and help them over the ROPS.
My old NH had a fiberglass canopy that got hit by a widow maker and broke in half. Not saying it would have hit me but I was sitting there at the time - lol.

Mak65

Equipment
L2501 HST
Apr 25, 2019
TX
The canopy is a necessity to me when I’m mowing or working in the open with the Texas summer sun.

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
I have canopies on my tractor and zero turn, I had a skin cancer issue on my head a few years back and I am trying to not let that happen again. The only downfall I have found so far is working around trees. My dealer installed a canopy from this companyhttps://thunderbirdaz.com/
I wish I had purchased work lights from them, the Kubota work lights and mounts are not to my liking. Picture of tractor with canopy is shown in my avatar.