Can I offset my box blade?

Evad

Equipment
L3301
Apr 2, 2022
Redmond, WA
Probably a dumb question, but I have a L3301 with a BB1572 box blade and the top n' tilt kit. While I love this set up, I really want to push material back to the center of the road. Can I adjust one of the lift arms to be shorter so that I am dragging the box blade at an angle? I didn't see anything about this in the Land Pride manual for the box blade so not sure if I can do that or not.

Or if you have other ideas for moving material back to the center of the gravel road (trying to keep a crown) I am all for learning new tricks.

Thank you!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes, that is 100% what top and tilt are for.

Reactions: 1 users

Evad

Equipment
L3301
Apr 2, 2022
Redmond, WA
Yes, that is 100% what top and tilt are for.
Ugh I don't think I am explaining my question correctly. My Top n' tilt will tilt the box blade to one side, and will tilt the blade forward or backwards to change the angle relative to the ground. What I want to do (and the top n' tilt doesn't do this) is pull one side of the box blade closer to the back of the tractor, so when you look at it from above the box blade would be angled. Does make more sense?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ugh I don't think I am explaining my question correctly. My Top n' tilt will tilt the box blade to one side, and will tilt the blade forward or backwards to change the angle relative to the ground. What I want to do (and the top n' tilt doesn't do this) is pull one side of the box blade closer to the back of the tractor, so when you look at it from above the box blade would be angled. Does make more sense?
No nothing will do that with a box blade, you need a regular angle blade to do that.

But a box blade tilted side to side will move material to the center in a crown fashion.

Reactions: 2 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I had to read your first post a twice myself - - missed the shortened lift arm/link part.

Like Wolfman said, you will be able to form a crown if careful with what you have.

Obviously need to set the tilt, but also need to be mindful of the length of the top link to get there. Takes some practice. Start with a shorter top link to get your edge profile, then follow with a longer top link will smooth it out to your crown.

Evad

Equipment
L3301
Apr 2, 2022
Redmond, WA
I had to read your first post a twice myself - - missed the shortened lift arm/link part.

Like Wolfman said, you will be able to form a crown if careful with what you have.

Obviously need to set the tilt, but also need to be mindful of the length of the top link to get there. Takes some practice. Start with a shorter top link to get your edge profile, then follow with a longer top link will smooth it out to your crown.
Ok thank you. Sounds like I just need to use my tractor a lot more and practice. Bummer :LOL:

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
Sounds like ya need a rear blade . I would almost give up my box scraper for my rear blade if I had to . Im sure others have other opinions .
animals45

Reactions: 2 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Ok thank you. Sounds like I just need to use my tractor a lot more and practice. Bummer :LOL:
It will take multiple passes, some attention and patience, but it can be done.

Sounds like ya need a rear blade . I would almost give up my box scraper for my rear blade if I had to . Im sure others have other opinions .
animals45
A Land Plane might also be a good choice. Never used one, but many swear by them. They can crown by tilt adjustment also from my understanding.

My issue with a LP is that it's not a multi-purpose implement.

A rear blade can be used for snow too. I use one for snow occasionally.

My box blade is my favorite, only because it's what I'm used to.

Like you said - - everyone has their favorites.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I would angle my front end loader while going in reverse, 3/4 curl.

I'm kidding 😏

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
Me having a long dirt road & driveway a land plane is hi on my list , but I have no plans to buy one . I think their over priced for what they are & the pages here are proof that makin one is not even close to being out of the conversation . I have most of what I need to build one sittin here , Maybe we'll have one ready for next spring .
animals45

Reactions: 1 user

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Me having a long dirt road & driveway a land plane is hi on my list , but I have no plans to buy one . I think their over priced for what they are & the pages here are proof that makin one is not even close to being out of the conversation . I have most of what I need to build one sittin here , Maybe we'll have one ready for next spring .
animals45
If you already have a box scraper where most of the parts are bolted together you can do like I did and borrow those parts for a land plane.

See post #6 here I seldom use my box blade vs this homemade land plane. But if needed....I can bolt the hitch and blades back on the box blade framework again.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
animals45
Agree. A good heavyweight rear blade with offset and tilt functions are far better for road work and more versatile than a box blade.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
All the old farmers around here never ever had expensive box blades or fancy land planes but they all had well groomed very, very long driveways. Most every Sunday, after church and before brunch, Old Bill across the street would get onto his tractor and drag a heavy old barn beam with tire chains sections nailed to it,up and down several times,simple and effective, he had a weed free,level 700' long driveway.
New guy who bought the farm did nothing an in 3-4 years driveway was a disaster,cost him 10K to have 'man and machine' come in to fix it.NOW he borrows a tractor/blade every 3-4 months. hmmmmmm

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
I did this with an old used 7/8 wore out 72" back blade I had.. The blade bolted to the vertical pin that angled the blade.. I moved it over one bolt hole and drilled new bolt holes where needed.. It worked OK for what I needed the first way I off set it, so never got around to only moving it half a set of bolt holes that would have likely worked better...

What did work exceptionally well while moving snow was I built about a foot square ...wing... almost 90 degrees to the blade on the leading end of the angled blade... With the wing you could make an almost full pass without leaving a ridge of spill over snow on the clean side..

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
Box blade.... I offset the right pin on my box blade thus gaining 3-4" of off set past the tractor wheel..

I have seen DIY bolt on adaptors made to off set a 3 point implement 4-6" or more.. Ne reason it can't be done..

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
You can put a "crown" on a road (i.e. high in the center, lower at the edges, so it sheds water to the side), with a box blade. You adjust the lower 3 point arms to make the BB tilt. With multiple passes the BB will shift material to the higher side.

A scraper blade can be turned to discharge material off to the side like a snowplow. Some scraper blades can also be adjusted to offset to the side and tilt so you can dig or clear a ditch.

How to adjust these attachments takes practice. Small adjustments can make a big difference in how well they work.

Having both is very useful for maintaining dirt/gravel roads.

A landplane is an alternative to a BB. The BB will move and relocate material well, a landplane is great at levelling out an area.