Can I Attach a Bolt-On Cutting Edge To This BX Series Bucket (Newbie Question)

bxnobs

Equipment
bx24d
Jan 1, 2024
northeast
Just purchased a one-owner BX24D with 200 hours. Seems to be in great shape.

The photos show the current state of the bucket's original cutting edge. I assume that when it was new that the edge was perfectly straight?

As shown in the photos it looks like the center of the cutting edge is worn back 1/2" and both the right and left sides of the cutting edge are worn back 1/4". Is my understanding correct?

In any event, is there anything about the shape and amount of wear of the original cutting edge that might preclude properly attaching a new bolt-on cutting edge?

Thanks!

Attachments

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
You shouldn't have any problem drilling and bolting on a cutting edge given the location of the bolt holes. I drilled out the bucket that came with the M6060 to accept the factory cutting edge that came with the MX6000. The MX6000 got an Everything Attachements Wicked Tooth Bar (shown below).

tooth_bar_14.jpg

Here are the holes I added to the M6060 bucket to work with the factory cutting edge.

cutting_edge_8.jpg

cutting_edge_10.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
A very sturdy edge - about half an inch thick and 4" wide - is available from your Kubota dealer, or you can geta similar (maybe beefier) one from BXpanded.

bxnobs

Equipment
bx24d
Jan 1, 2024
northeast
Great. Now I have to ask: how did you manage to drill all those holes perfectly aligned / positioned? Did you use any sort of jig and perhaps a drill press too?

You shouldn't have any problem drilling and bolting on a cutting edge given the location of the bolt holes. I drilled out the bucket that came with the M6060 to accept the factory cutting edge that came with the MX6000. The MX6000 got an Everything Attachements Wicked Tooth Bar (shown below).

View attachment 119259

Here are the holes I added to the M6060 bucket to work with the factory cutting edge.

View attachment 119260

View attachment 119261

yorkies77

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 7, 2020
Idaho
I bought a piranha bar for my BX23S from bxexpanded. It works very good and is very easy to install. Just drill two holes and bolt it on.

Gaspasser

Equipment
L6060, FEL, forks, front snowblower. KX033 mini ex. Dump truck, Husqvarna saws.
Dec 16, 2023
NH
Agree with rec for Piranha bar (come in toothed or straight edge configuration) from Bxpanded. I have one of each, Easy to install by drilling 2 holes, one on each side of bucket. Solid construction, prompt shipment. Good luck.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I too agree - the piranha toothbar is a perfect solution, it will protect your old edge and will allow you to dig at 3 times faster than the old edge. Matter fact, you probably will NOT ever take it off.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Great. Now I have to ask: how did you manage to drill all those holes perfectly aligned / positioned? Did you use any sort of jig and perhaps a drill press too?
How does the expression go ..... "measure twice, cut once". I was careful to lay out the holes with the proper spacing, but a mag drill really helps to make this type of project go well. The plate is thick, and most will struggle to keep a drill bit perpendicular to the work surface so errors stack up. I have a Hougen mag drill which is great for these kind of projects and a tool I should have bought decades ago.

As always people here will recommend a Piranha tooth bar but I prefer the look and functionality of a factory type installation with a fully bolted on cutting edge. BXpanded offers a "pro" tooth bar that is fully bolted. Since I already had 11 holes in the MX bucket it was a no brainer to order the EA Wicked Tooth Bar, and since I had a virtually new factory bolt on cutting edge from the MX, it made sense for me to drill holes.

Post some photos when you're done regardless of which type you choose. I still think a bolt on edge would be a better solution for you given the state of the current cutting edge. I would clean up the edge so that it's square and bolt on either an EA or BXpanded product. A bolted on edge will provide more support to the underside of the bucket too if that's important to you.

cutting_edge_5.jpg

Last edited:

bxnobs

Equipment
bx24d
Jan 1, 2024
northeast
Really excellent advice, thank you.

I do intend on going with a traditional, horizontally- bolted, edge and I'll probably go with a straight, i.e., non-toothed, edge.

Those holes you did do look like they were done with a press of some sort. Since I do not do much if any steel fabrication, I will not be able to justify the price of a mag drill at this point (didn't know about 'em until your post).

Since it's impossible to use a new edge as a jig or guide to drill holes because it's longer than the approximate 47 1/2" inside width of the bucket (assuming drilling is to be done from the inside of the bucket), what I think I'll do is to use the new bolt-on edge as a template/gig to make a gig/guide out of some 47 1/2" long angle iron or steel plate that I have on hand. I'll elevate the new edge about 1/2" off the surface of the angle iron / steel plate using a good quality wood strip spacer and also use a clamp-on drill guide to ensure drill bit is kept perpendicular to surface. I'll start in the center and work my way to edges bolting down the jig as I go along. I think that will do the trick -- what do you think?

How does the expression go ..... "measure twice, cut once". I was careful to lay out the holes with the proper spacing, but a mag drill really helps to make this type of project go well. The plate is thick, and most will struggle to keep a drill bit perpendicular to the work surface so errors stack up. I have a Hougen mag drill which is great for these kind of projects and a tool I should have bought decades ago.

As always people here will recommend a Piranha tooth bar but I prefer the look and functionality of a factory type installation with a fully bolted on cutting edge. BXpanded offers a "pro" tooth bar that is fully bolted. Since I already had 11 holes in the MX bucket it was a no brainer to order the EA Wicked Tooth Bar, and since I had a virtually new factory bolt on cutting edge from the MX, it made sense for me to drill holes.

Post some photos when you're done regardless of which type you choose. I still think a bolt on edge would be a better solution for you given the state of the current cutting edge. I would clean up the edge so that it's square and bolt on either an EA or BXpanded product. A bolted on edge will provide more support to the underside of the bucket too if that's important to you.

View attachment 119277

View attachment 119277

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
use the new bolt-on edge as a template/gig to make a gig/guide out of some 47 1/2" long angle iron or steel plate that I have on hand. I'll elevate the new edge about 1/2" off the surface of the angle iron / steel plate using a good quality wood strip spacer and also use a clamp-on drill guide to ensure drill bit is kept perpendicular to surface. I'll start in the center and work my way to edges bolting down the jig as I go along. I think that will do the trick -- what do you think?
That sounds like a good plan. Looking forward to seeing photos once you're done.

A machinist friend gave me a drill guide many years ago that he'd made. It's a circular chunk of 2" hardened steel and has numerous standard holes sizes in it. I've used it many, many times over the years to keep a hole straight through whatever I'm drilling.

Here's a similar concept.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
possible easy option..

this.... 7J62679810 .. is the bolt-on edge for the BX23S / LA340 loader bucket.+-$220 CDN

my bucket already has the 7 - 5/8" holes in it.

for you..
c-clamp the edge onto your bucket, centering on the middle hole.
pilot drill that, then drill to 5/8", install 5/8 nut and bolt
check that it's still straight, mark/center punch, drill next two holes
install those nuts and bolts
repeat 2 more times...
remove c-clamps

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
I welded my cutting edge on..... couldn't stand those big nuts sticking up in the bucket......

Reactions: 1 users

bxnobs

Equipment
bx24d
Jan 1, 2024
northeast
Yep, I saw that. Apparently there are two Kubota part numbers: 75532-59320 and 7J612-59320. I'll have to call up a dealer and find out how they differ. They are relatively inexpensive and at 1/2" thick I think that's good enough as the original welded edge will be maintained in place.

A very sturdy edge - about half an inch thick and 4" wide - is available from your Kubota dealer, or you can geta similar (maybe beefier) one from BXpanded.

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
The issue will not be the variation in the leading edge but the wear from the front edge to the rear bottom surface of the existing cutting edge. If it is worn uneven and has some curvature you will likely never keep the edge tight on the base edge.

bxnobs

Equipment
bx24d
Jan 1, 2024
northeast
The issue will not be the variation in the leading edge but the wear from the front edge to the rear bottom surface of the existing cutting edge. If it is worn uneven and has some curvature you will likely never keep the edge tight on the base edge.
To whom is the above addressed? TY

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
When I bought my BX, the cutting edge was pretty well worn, so I bought a new one and a bolt on cutting edge too. I drilled holes in the new weld-on cutting edge to match those in the bolt-on edge, had the new weld-on edge installed and bolted up the other one. Had worked perfectly for a couple of years.

IMG_20200123_111309508 (Custom).jpg

bxnobs

Equipment
bx24d
Jan 1, 2024
northeast
Looks like the right part number from Kubota for a bolt-on cutting edge is BX2414 -- this is the part that JimDeL was probably referring to. That part is 48" long, 4" wide with a 1/2" thickness and comes with square, counter sunk holes and "plow" bolts and nuts. At 48" long, it's 1/2" longer than would be required to have a flush outside edge with the outside of my bucket. I'll probably live with 1/4" overhang on each side rather than trim off 1/4" from each side of the cutting edge.

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
Looks like the right part number from Kubota for a bolt-on cutting edge is BX2414 -- this is the part that JimDeL was probably referring to. That part is 48" long, 4" wide with a 1/2" thickness and comes with square, counter sunk holes and "plow" bolts and nuts. At 48" long, it's 1/2" longer than would be required to have a flush outside edge with the outside of my bucket. I'll probably live with 1/4" overhang on each side rather than trim off 1/4" from each side of the cutting edge.
Yeah, that's the one. It fit my bucket perfectly, with no overhang I mainly got mine to reinforce the bucket's edge - hopefully keeping it from developing a 'smile.'

Jasonized

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3902, LA526, box scraper, grapple, pallet forks, tree ripper, lane shark 3
May 16, 2023
California coast
I welded my cutting edge on..... couldn't stand those big nuts sticking up in the bucket......
I agree…. Those bolts just suck when I’m trying to hand empty the bucket…. (Small hole repair in road). Been thinking of welding it on… but…. It’s not “broke” yet…

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
I went with a Piranha Tooth bar. Less work to install and works better than the factory one.
IMG_7342.JPG

IMG_7603.JPG

Reactions: 1 user