Can I Attach a Bolt-On Cutting Edge To This BX Series Bucket (Newbie Question)

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
To whom is the above addressed? TY
First off to you but to anyone that wants to read it and comment. If you just drill and bolt a new edge to your current worn edged it may loosen as it is used.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The OP may not want/need a 'toothed' bar. Nobody at the nearby quarries have toothed bars on their loaders.
Type of work determines what type of bar
All local skidsteer operators have 1 bucket smooth, 1 with teeth and a pallet fork version. For them 'time is money' and it's faster(cheaper) to swap buckets than unbolt/bolt bucket bars,expecially when you drop a nut into the pile of gravely dirt !! Finding Waldo is easier !!!

Reactions: 1 user

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
The OP may not want/need a 'toothed' bar. Nobody at the nearby quarries have toothed bars on their loaders.
Type of work determines what type of bar
All local skidsteer operators have 1 bucket smooth, 1 with teeth and a pallet fork version. For them 'time is money' and it's faster(cheaper) to swap buckets than unbolt/bolt bucket bars,expecially when you drop a nut into the pile of gravely dirt !! Finding Waldo is easier !!!
There is a smooth bar option as well

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
I went with a Piranha Tooth bar. Less work to install and works better than the factory one.
View attachment 119353
View attachment 119354
Probably overkill, but I put the Kubota bolt-on edge on mine to strengthen it, then 'special ordered' the Piranha edge modified to fit over it. (no extra cost, BTW).
I've seen a couple buckets with 'smiles' and don't want that to happen to mine.

Reactions: 1 users

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
First off to you but to anyone that wants to read it and comment. If you just drill and bolt a new edge to your current worn edged it may loosen as it is used.
Nylock nuts will solve that (non)problem.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Since it's impossible to use a new edge as a jig or guide to drill holes because it's longer than the approximate 47 1/2" inside width of the bucket (assuming drilling is to be done from the inside of the bucket)..............
Bingo. Clamp the edge on the bottom and drill from the outside. It probably wouldn't affect much if you trimmed the new edge to fit inside ( just for drilling the holes, still mounting it on the outside).

I bought my mag drill a few years too late for drilling my bucket. It was a good bit of work for a handheld drill.

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
Nylock nuts will solve that (non)problem.
No it will not. if the base edge is not flat the bolt on edge can "work" and loosen. I have seen this happen numerous times. You can repeatedly tighten the bolts but it will not stay unless you have 2 flat surfaces to mate together. Even an edge with too much paint can cause the edge too loosen.