Can anyone spot a common cause for my electrical issues?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
you have a voltage drop issue. Did you do a voltage drop test? That test isolates these problems quickly (usually).

Reactions: 1 user

Sparty047

Equipment
L2501 with plow,drag,cultivator,FEL,brush hog
Nov 26, 2019
Eaton Rapids,MI
Sorry - I know it's been a while - just spotted your reply. Not the battery cable, but the ignition connector on the starter. It's happened a few times now. Eventually I will have to take a quick look at it, but for now every time it happens, I just wiggle or push on the coil connector and it starts right up.
Yeah.......tried one guy wiggling that connector (after removing and cleaning it) as second guy turned the ignition key (having verified continuity of all safety relays) without positive result. And again, if I jump the terminals on the starter relay harness the starter immediately cranks over and engine starts. So it's not that connector.....thanks for your thoughts.
Sorry - I know it's been a while - just spotted your reply. Not the battery cable, but the ignition connector on the starter. It's happened a few times now. Eventually I will have to take a quick look at it, but for now every time it happens, I just wiggle or push on the coil connector and it starts right up.

Sparty047

Equipment
L2501 with plow,drag,cultivator,FEL,brush hog
Nov 26, 2019
Eaton Rapids,MI
you have a voltage drop issue. Did you do a voltage drop test? That test isolates these problems quickly (usually).
Well, I know that when I turn the ignition the A terminal on the starter relay harness only reads 10.8 v while the C terminal reads 12.6 v.......so have a voltage drop issue. Where is it and how to locate it is the issue.

I am replacing the main switch for $20 to assure that's not the source of high resistance.

Do you have advice for measuring high resistance at other sections?

Thanks for your input.