Bypassing seat safety switch on 2021 MX6000

Keadog

Equipment
MX 6000
Dec 22, 2021
Ohio
I can't see the ends of my pallet forks when seated on the tractor and, after scratching the concrete pad the other day, I really need to be able to stand and move the machine forward and back. I have looked around fairly carefully but can't find any seat pics online that look exactly like my seat (and I don't want to do something that disables it). I am not very sophisticated mechanically or electronically either, so forgive my lack of knowledge here.

Here's what the switch looks like on mine. If anyone can tell me what needs to be done to keep the tractor running when I stand, I would appreciate it. I'm fine with the PTO setup and have no interest doing anything stupid or dangerous but I can't use the pallet forks properly as things are. Coming from a 2000 L4300DT all these safety "improvements" aren't all that helpful. Overall however, the MX6000 is a huge improvement, especially the SSQA.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_4137.jpg
IMG_4138.jpg

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Take a paperclip and cut in half, shove the u shaped piece into wiring harness. It is not pretty but works. Or wire in an on-off switch in parallel in the harness. Or mount a wireless camera on the pallet forks that use a phone as the screen so you can see the forks and keep your butt in the seat.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I can usually see the 48” forks on my MX6000. When I just need a quick peek, I set the parking brake and stand up. Of course you can’t move that way, but it works for a quick stand up. The engine won’t die with the parking brake set if you stand up off the seat.

Keadog

Equipment
MX 6000
Dec 22, 2021
Ohio
I'm not sure I understand where the paper clip goes? Do you insert it without removing that plug? A pic would be great if you have one.

As far as setting the parking brake, the tractor keeps running as long as it isn't moving without setting the brake.

Thanks.

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Back to the camera idea

Reactions: 2 users

Keadog

Equipment
MX 6000
Dec 22, 2021
Ohio
I like the paper clip idea better. I just need to figure out where it goes.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I like the paper clip idea better. I just need to figure out where it goes.
A VERY basic and effective concept!
Pull both of those little plugs off their connections, and push one side/half of the paperclip into each little plug.
Really better done with a very short piece of wire stripped a bit at each end, but a paperclip will work.
You now have shorted out the seat safety system.
Just don't fall off your tractor......because it will keep on running.

I did this YEARS ago,...... but don't say that I told you to do it!

Reactions: 1 user

Heehaw

Equipment
MX5400hst Kubota Z726X
Oct 4, 2022
Michigan
Take a paperclip and cut in half, shove the u shaped piece into wiring harness. It is not pretty but works. Or wire in an on-off switch in parallel in the harness. Or mount a wireless camera on the pallet forks that use a phone as the screen so you can see the forks and keep your butt in the seat.
I saw another thread a while back where a member wired in a momentary on-off switch which he mounted on the loader joystick. The set up looked really sweet.
So when you say “wire in an on-off switch in parallel” which wire or wires would you tap into. If I remember correctly the switch was a simple push button with two wires coming out of it.

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
I saw another thread a while back where a member wired in a momentary on-off switch which he mounted on the loader joystick. The set up looked really sweet.
So when you say “wire in an on-off switch in parallel” which wire or wires would you tap into. If I remember correctly the switch was a simple push button with two wires coming out of it.
Might be this one:

Reactions: 1 users

Heehaw

Equipment
MX5400hst Kubota Z726X
Oct 4, 2022
Michigan
Might be this one:
Thanks, that’s the one.
So does anyone know how the switch is wired in or is it taboo to tell someone how to do it?

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
Thanks, that’s the one.
So does anyone know how the switch is wired in or is it taboo to tell someone how to do it?
the seat switch is a simple normally-open circuit. When you sit, it closed the circuit. That's why the paper-clip mod works.

So I used a normally-open momentary switch and connected it to the two wires of the harness in parallel to the seat switch. When you press the switch and close the circuit, the tractor thinks the seat still has a butt in it and won't kill the engine if you stand up and move the treadle pedal.

The polarity doesn't matter. Just connect any switch you like to the two wires on that harness.

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
Until you do the mod - you take one leg and kneel on the seat with the other leg standing up. So you can sort of stand to see the forks - and your leg is still on the seat

Heehaw

Equipment
MX5400hst Kubota Z726X
Oct 4, 2022
Michigan
Until you do the mod - you take one leg and kneel on the seat with the other leg standing up. So you can sort of stand to see the forks - and your leg is still on the seat
On the MX5400 you can stand up without the tractor dying. If you step on the treadle pedal to go forward or reverse without being in the seat the tractor will die.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
You can scotch lock(a type of splice) into the single wires at the seat switch and just run to a switch, therefore if the switch is not on/pushed your seat switch still functions. If doing a scotch lock use a sealed one. I hate scotch locks for wiring as people use them in all the wrong places(think trailer wiring). I prefer soldered connections with glue filled heat shrink.

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
On the MX5400 you can stand up without the tractor dying. If you step on the treadle pedal to go forward or reverse without being in the seat the tractor will die.
What I mean is the fold one leg back or to the side and put it on the seat. You can then stand and use the treadle pedal with the other foot and loader control to get forks under a pallet without the engine shutting off