BXPanded Ripper + Quick change adapter

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
2020 BX 23S
I just ordered the BXpanded root ripper to take care of some stumps and roots in my backyard, as my bucket was just not cutting it, literally and figuratively.
Did I make a mistake not ordering the quick change adapter to go back to my bucket when needed?
Knowing me I will want to be changing back and forth as the operation goes on.
Thanks.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I don't think you made a mistake.

I made a 6" bucket for the backhoe and to remove the two pins was very easy. The two bolts simply hold the pin in place. I think they are both 12mm - nut on backside is 13 mm. I carry those two wrenches in the tool box - pins come out easy. Change out buckets in 3 minutes..... the 12" is bit heavy to hold up in the air however!;)

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
2020 BX 23S
I just ordered the BXpanded root ripper to take care of some stumps and roots in my backyard, as my bucket was just not cutting it, literally and figuratively.
Did I make a mistake not ordering the quick change adapter to go back to my bucket when needed?
Thanks.
You DID make a mistake!
I have the Q/A system on my L48 TLB
If I bought a ripper, I would definitely get Q/A, because as you suggest, it will be an on and off attachment.
I'll be sure to tell Pat about your mistake when I see him! :ROFLMAO:

Dave Ogren

Equipment
BX23S w/FEL &BH &60" Mowing Deck, 48" Dirty Dog Box Blade, 48" Tar River Tiller,
Feb 16, 2022
Asheville, N. C.
I have the Q/A and also the ripper. You will be really disappointed if you don't get the Q/A attachment. It is a great tool, and just pulling a pin beats it all. Now if the bucket could be changed without getting out of the seat that would be a Great game changer. Good Luck.
Dave

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
2020 BX 23S
Thanks.
Paul, your minor mistake is easily corrected......just order the QA. It makes changes between bucket and ripper so easy. Like 85Hokie said....the bucket is heavy and lifting/wiggling into alignment for the first pin to be placed can be a struggle. With the QA you always have one pin on both your bucket and ripper. You simply slide that pin into the two notches on the QA and then swivel the bucket/ripper into alignment for the second pin. It's just that easy and makes it an easy one man task.

The QA comes with an extra pin to leave in place on your bucket. If you have more than one bucket you might want to buy or make another pin for those additional buckts/attachments.

Without the QA: Taking the bucket off and putting the ripper on is not too bad. The reverse can be a struggle because of the bucket's weight, holding it in place and trying to get that first pin in. It can be done with the bucket lying level on the ground but it can be frustrating as well for the time it takes.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
The main issue with not having a QA is greasing of the pins that rotation occurs on. A QA, the pins are a fixed point and no rotation and therefore the only lubrication needed it to prevent rust.
Swapping buckets is no biggie. Lower the boom so one pin can be inserted. Lift the boom and rotate the bucket in place. But they technically, you should grease them. Then removal, they are greasy and you really cannot lay them on the ground and....

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
i got the everything attachments one out of quebec, i am glad i got the QA its super fast to swap between the bucket and the ripper.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Welp.
I'm going to find out sooner rather than later if it's a pain, the ripper is already on it's way. BXP must have had them in stock ready to ship.