BX2822A 55" Commercial Snow Blower - DO NOT purchase BX2821A hydraulic deflector kit if you have a third function. Do this instead . . .

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Does anyone have a PDF of the parts breakdown and description page of the BX2821A? I am considering doing the same with my BX23S, and the parts breakdown and description page will help me decide exactly what I will need in addition to parts that I already have. I have a cylinder from a plow that I can use, and I had made a similar modification to my old snow blower back around 2006, and I still have the cylinder from that unit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

thisplace

Equipment
BX23S and more
Apr 23, 2022
UT
So I want to hydraulically articulate the chute deflector on my BX2822A 55" commercial snow blower with my B2601 tractor TRUE THIRD function.

I can't see paying $1100 for the hydraulic chute deflector kit BX2821A when all I need are the parts highlighted in red. If you purchase the kit, you are purchasing parts that you really don't need if you have a third function. You will be paying for a diverter, electrical harness, etc, all you don't need, and WORST YET another switch up on the joystick in addition to the 3rd function. YUCK!!!!

The dealership confirmed that the hydraulic chute deflector kit for the snow blower includes extra items you do not need if you have a third function on the tractor. It includes electrical connections and a diverter system that are unnecessary.

The dealer priced the actuator only and the mounting hardware at $560, which would save me $500 over the full hydraulic deflector kit.

In the picture below, the person paid for the diverter on the blower and the dealer came out and hooked the deflector directly to their tractor third function.

Borrowed picture from someone kind enough to show me the clean setup.

STILL WORKING THIS ISSUE TO GET THINGS HOW I WANT THEM. THIS SETUP IS PERFECT!!!! CLEAN AND ONLY ONE BUTTON ON THE JOYSTICK.

View attachment 56794
I wanted to give you a HUGE thank you davidmem!

I bought a BX23S-1 in Dec. 2021 and it arrived in early Mar 2022. I ordered the 48" snow blower (BX2830) but did not order the blower kit (BX2821A). Later I found this thread and ordered all of the parts on your pdf examples except for the hydraulic cylinder and paid $230 from my local dealer. They wanted $540 for the cylinder but I found it on Messicks for $423 and in stock (saving $117). Once I got the parts and started installing it, I realized that I my cylinder came with the attaching pins and I could have saved around $50'ish not buying those, but they might come in handy later so I'll keep them. I also realized that I didn't have the bolts for the hose clamp and support clamp which I'll have to get later. But most of it is installed. So without hoses the cost for me was around $680 (ship+tax,etc).

davidmem can you tell me how long your hoses are? The pdf just says "1 set hyd hoses". Once I get the hoses I can attach the 90 deg elbows, but I'm not doing that now since the cylinder holes are currently plugged and would not be if I installed the elbows, so those will be done when I get the hoses. So the hoses and flat face connectors will raise up the final price but I'm happy.

Again, a big thanks for this info, it saved me a lot. Here are some pics of my current install.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

davidmem

Equipment
Soon to be owner of Kubota B2601 Toro TimeCutter Model 7577
Mar 14, 2021
Bethany, CT
I wanted to give you a HUGE thank you davidmem!

I bought a BX23S-1 in Dec. 2021 and it arrived in early Mar 2022. I ordered the 48" snow blower (BX2830) but did not order the blower kit (BX2821A). Later I found this thread and ordered all of the parts on your pdf examples except for the hydraulic cylinder and paid $230 from my local dealer. They wanted $540 for the cylinder but I found it on Messicks for $423 and in stock (saving $117). Once I got the parts and started installing it, I realized that I my cylinder came with the attaching pins and I could have saved around $50'ish not buying those, but they might come in handy later so I'll keep them. I also realized that I didn't have the bolts for the hose clamp and support clamp which I'll have to get later. But most of it is installed. So without hoses the cost for me was around $680 (ship+tax,etc).

davidmem can you tell me how long your hoses are? The pdf just says "1 set hyd hoses". Once I get the hoses I can attach the 90 deg elbows, but I'm not doing that now since the cylinder holes are currently plugged and would not be if I installed the elbows, so those will be done when I get the hoses. So the hoses and flat face connectors will raise up the final price but I'm happy.

Again, a big thanks for this info, it saved me a lot. Here are some pics of my current install.

Awesome!!!! Very welcome and I'm glad it helped you. I will try to remember to measure the hoses and get back to you. I'll try tomorrow.

BadAndy

Equipment
BX23s TLB-BX2822A Snow blower-LP BB-HLA Forks-Craftsman YT4000 Lawn Tractor
Mar 30, 2021
Canada
Hi Guys, I am in Canada and have looked for the hydraulic cylinder, the specs call for a 2" bore 5" Stroke cylinder. My dealer quoted me at 700.00 for that cylinder which defeats the savings of not getting the whole BX2821A kit... It's hard to find a 5" stroke cylinder... I did find a 2" bore 6" Stroke cylinder for 90.00... I am not a hydraulics guru but would I be able to adapt for the 1" difference? huge difference in pricing as you see below
Dealer cost all parts except hose: 908.99 (5" stroke Cylinder)
My DIY cost all parts except hose: 302.52 (6" stroke Cylinder)

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
Hi Guys, I am in Canada and have looked for the hydraulic cylinder, the specs call for a 2" bore 5" Stroke cylinder. My dealer quoted me at 700.00 for that cylinder which defeats the savings of not getting the whole BX2821A kit... It's hard to find a 5" stroke cylinder... I did find a 2" bore 6" Stroke cylinder for 90.00... I am not a hydraulics guru but would I be able to adapt for the 1" difference? huge difference in pricing as you see below
Here is what I did to get hydraulic chute deflection on my front snowblower. Maybe it will give you some ideas.

davidmem

Equipment
Soon to be owner of Kubota B2601 Toro TimeCutter Model 7577
Mar 14, 2021
Bethany, CT
I wish I could give advice here but I can't. I wonder how much the kit is now if the cylinder is already up to $700? If the kit is $1,500 it still might be worth the savings.

BadAndy

Equipment
Mar 30, 2021
Canada
Here is what I did to get hydraulic chute deflection on my front snowblower. Maybe it will give you some ideas.

Thank you Deep Woods, looks like your cylinder is a 6" stroke as well. Good idea for the fit, I will definitely look at your idea. :)

BadAndy

Equipment
Mar 30, 2021
Canada
I wish I could give advice here but I can't. I wonder how much the kit is now if the cylinder is already up to $700? If the kit is $1,500 it still might be worth the savings.
Thanks for the reply David, I think I will try the 6" stroke cylinder and adjust like Deep Woods did.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
As long as you have the stroke long enough to work, the extra length just won't be used. It isn't likely that the extra 1" is going to make any difference. The Kubota cylinder is a standard cylinder that they use on many products, such as snowplows, snowblowers, sweepers, etc. It is extremely overkill for the items that it is used on.

Reactions: 1 users

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
Just be sure you use the entire stroke when you figure your geometry of you brackets or you may end up bending something if your range of movement isn’t enough for the length of your stroke. 😉