BX2816 Snow Blower question.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I hooked up the BX2816 snowblower today, and when I finished greasing all the fitting, I started it up. It sounds like a cement mixer with worn-out bearings. I had to cheat by putting a case of oil on the seat to keep the engine running and the blower engaged. I felt the top of the case thinking that if something were loose, I might find a vibration, but there was none. I then took the blower off to examine the quick hitch to see if anything was loose, but couldn't find any loose parts. It is certainly a lot louder than the blower that I had on my BX22. Is it me with excellent hearing or is it the way that these things operate? I am almost afraid to use it tomorrow if we get the predicted 6 - 8 inches of snow.

Chinook3

Equipment
BX2380,FEL344S,LP forks,BX2816snowb50,mmm60, log arch, Wicked 55 grapple
Nov 13, 2020
Michigan
I have one on my 2380 and sounds about what i expect. It was new in 2020. See what it does under load and see if that shows what gets warm while blowing snow, all the snow will melt on anything getting warm. Might let you pin point the noise.

Chinook3

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
The one on my B2650 is probably the same.
I, too, thought there was something wrong with it the first few times I used it.

At times it is quieter than others and when under load and using it the noise is less noticeable over all the other noise.
I pay a bit more attention to the vibration/shaking/oscillation to clue me into an issue. I use noise cancelling headphones with music and therefore the noise is almost non-existent anyways, but it is still audible.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Are the chains Well lubricated? Gear box full? Check tension on chains. Too tight or too loose makes them noisy. Too tight chains can cause other parts of the driveline to make noises. Also, make sure the telescoping drive shaft is lubricated.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Are the chains Well lubricated? Gear box full? Check tension on chains. Too tight or too loose makes them noisy. Too tight chains can cause other parts of the driveline to make noises. Also, make sure the telescoping drive shaft is lubricated.
I lubricated the chain prior to installing. I use the method of putting the funnel into the hole above the chain and pouring some chain and bar oil into the funnel. I use a styrofoam meat tray under the chain to catch the excess. I then turn the augers to distribute the gear and bar oil over the entire chain. To test for chain tension, I turn the rear auger clockwise until I feel tension, and then counterclockwise till I feel the tension. That tells me how much "slop" is in the chain. I check the gearbox for wear the same way. I also drain and refill the gearbox at the beginning of the season with Brad Penn 80-90 GL4 gear oil. GL5 gear oil is known to attack the brass parts, so I avoid it. The driveshaft splines and bearings are lubed when installed with Castrol Pyroplex Red EP2 grease.
After digging into it a little more, I believe that the noise might be the result of the drive mechanism between the blower and the quick hitch which has no provision for lubrication. I will see how it works when I go out to blow snow this afternoon. I am used to the old style of connection of the snowblower to the front splined driveshaft which was a positive drive all the way back to the PTO.

BozenBota

Equipment
LX2610; RCR1542, FDR1260, BSS54P, PFL1242, STB1072, MacKissick TPH123
Jan 9, 2022
Capital Region, NY
I lubricated the chain prior to installing. I use the method of putting the funnel into the hole above the chain and pouring some chain and bar oil into the funnel. I use a styrofoam meat tray under the chain to catch the excess. I then turn the augers to distribute the gear and bar oil over the entire chain. To test for chain tension, I turn the rear auger clockwise until I feel tension, and then counterclockwise till I feel the tension. That tells me how much "slop" is in the chain. I check the gearbox for wear the same way. I also drain and refill the gearbox at the beginning of the season with Brad Penn 80-90 GL4 gear oil. GL5 gear oil is known to attack the brass parts, so I avoid it. The driveshaft splines and bearings are lubed when installed with Castrol Pyroplex Red EP2 grease.
After digging into it a little more, I believe that the noise might be the result of the drive mechanism between the blower and the quick hitch which has no provision for lubrication. I will see how it works when I go out to blow snow this afternoon. I am used to the old style of connection of the snowblower to the front splined driveshaft which was a positive drive all the way back to the PTO.
On my old BX2380, I ran this blower. As others have said expect some noise when not under load. Instead of chainsaw bar oil I used Liquid Wrench chain and cable lube. I never lubed the the quick (K) connect-blower interface. I wonder if removing the blower and running the mid PTO with just the quick hitch attached would help diagnose?

(Also, I was surprised when I serviced the blower last year post-season how much water worked into the gearbox, so I’m with you on at least once a year changing the gear oil.)

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I replied inside the other thread you have on this same topic...

Waytoomuchefforttojointhi

Equipment
BX23S, BX2816 blower, 3 point hitch, Land Pride box blade,
Apr 19, 2022
Thunder Bay ON, Canada
I hooked up the BX2816 snowblower today, and when I finished greasing all the fitting, I started it up. It sounds like a cement mixer with worn-out bearings. I had to cheat by putting a case of oil on the seat to keep the engine running and the blower engaged. I felt the top of the case thinking that if something were loose, I might find a vibration, but there was none. I then took the blower off to examine the quick hitch to see if anything was loose, but couldn't find any loose parts. It is certainly a lot louder than the blower that I had on my BX22. Is it me with excellent hearing or is it the way that these things operate? I am almost afraid to use it tomorrow if we get the predicted 6 - 8 inches of snow.
Check your drive chain.. when it becomes too loose it starts to growl. Then it snaps.. first hand experience. Check/adjust chain tension often!