BX2816 Electric Chute Rotator

SnowDoc

Equipment
BX1880
Jan 17, 2024
Ontario, Canada
I have been wanting to remove the ridiculous hand crank that turns the auger and toss it in a lake ever since I bought the tractor. But, I will not pay over $1000 for the hydraulic rotator, even though I already have the valve. Kubota should be ashamed that they do not include some kind of motorized rotator for the price of the blower, but I guess that it is their version of undercoating used to soak customers for a few extra bucks.

So, I have kicked the idea around for building a cheapo electric one from Amazon parts. Here is what I came up with and it seems to work very well so far.

Parts Used:

I used an electric seat motor. Even if you don't use this motor, the 190 rpm is almost bang on for the speed:
Amazon.com: 190 Rpm 12Vdc Right Angle Drive Electric Motor From Car Seats

A winch relay to control the back and forth:
Amazon.com: Triumilynn 12V Winch Solenoid Relay Contactor & Winch Rocker Thumb Switch Combo for ATV UTV 1500lb-5000lb Polaris, Warn # 63070 62135 74900 70715 2875714 : Automotive

And an excavator Joystick to control it:
Amazon.com: TRIPPER 3 Buttons Excavator Joystick Assy Handle with Dust Cover for Doosan DX150 215 225 300 370-9C : Video Games

You will also need some additional wiring to supply power to the solenoid and run from the solenoid to the motor. 12 gauge should be adequate. You will also need an inline fuse holder and a 20 amp fuse.

Step 1: Mount the motor. I cut about half of the shaft off of the motor so that it fit in the worm gear on the blower. Then I drilled a hole through the shaft so that I could us a hitch pin to mate the motor to the worm gear. I then removed the chute spacer closest to the motor and used a piece of 1/4" aluminum as a bracket. I made a cardboard template first because it is easier to work with, then transferred the pattern to the aluminum and cut it to shape. The spacer went into the parts bin.

20240112_181920_resized.jpg

20240112_181941_resized.jpg

20240112_181955_resized.jpg

Step 2: Mount Solenoid: Mount the winch solenoid next to the battery with a couple of small bolts.

20240117_170008.jpg

Step 3: Mount the Joystick. I mounted the joystick on top of the factory kubota valve. Pull the factory knob off, just a friction fit. Then unscrew the metal part from the joystick and drill out the threads with a 1/2" drill bit. Then slide the joystick onto the valve shaft.

20240117_165947.jpg

Step 4: Wire it all up. M+ and M- go to the seat motor, doesn't really matter which is positive or negative. B+ and B- are pretty self explanatory, however I used an inline fuse holder to put a 20 amp fuse on the B+. There are 3 wires that go up to the joystick. One is a positive 12v from B+ to one side of each micro switch, and the other two connect the other side of the micro switches in the joystick to the yellow and green from the solenoid for rotate right and rotate left. You will need to play with these two a bit to make sure that you get the rotation in the right direction.

1705530735408.png

I have been using this for a couple of weeks and it is working well. I was worried that the motor may not have enough torque, but so far it has been good. If it turns out to be the weak link, I will just source a new motor with more torque and fab a new bracket. The bonus to using the winch relay is that I could almost put a starter motor there if torque does become an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

SnowDoc

Equipment
BX1880
Jan 17, 2024
Ontario, Canada
Is the middle button on the joystick a momentary or latching push button?
It is a momentary micro switch.

I want to figure out how to use it to drive linear actuator for the chute tilt. Hard to do with one button. I've got some ideas, but it involves some electronic components and complicates things a bit.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Nice.

Worm drive electric actuators make much better sense that hydraulics for low power needs.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I've used one of those 4 channel RF relay modules for blower up-down, left-right operations. At $20 a great bargain.
You can 'velcro' or otherwise mount the 'key fob' on the joystick,at a 45* angle , so pressing buttons makes sense.

RDinNHandAZ

Equipment
Kubota BX1870, FEL, BX5450 Snowblower, back blade, customized snow cab
I too used that same seat motor. It is perfect. After install I bought two beer bottle coozys and weatherproofed both the seat motor and the linear actuator I used to lift the chute angler. I know your controller is a better solution but I cheaped out and used a project box I had and two DPDT momentary switches from China. They are boound to tbe the weak link so I have a spare but when they fail I’ll do the relays. Thanks
IMG_1647.jpeg IMG_1648.jpeg IMG_1649.jpeg

Last edited:

KPMKubota

Equipment
BX24, Front forks, BX5450 snowblower, 60 belly mower and bagger
Jan 28, 2024
20Icamotp24
Great idea and thanks for including the Amazon links and pictures! I also can not stand the hand crank that Kubota provides with the unit. Mine is a BX5450 on a BX24. The excavator joystick seems like a nice idea but my setup is a little different because of the FEL control handle. Can the switch that looks to be provided with the solenoid relay be used to control the rotation. I have not ordered the parts yet so I don't know the quality of that switch. Thanks again for your post.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The chute rotator on your tractor is the same as all of the chute rotators that are operated by the crank handle. The later ones that Kubota used a hydraulic motor on have more teeth on the chute rotator to match up with the hydraulic motor.

Dustball

Equipment
2016 B2650HSDC
Sep 15, 2023
Hudson, WI
Can the switch that looks to be provided with the solenoid relay be used to control the rotation. I have not ordered the parts yet so I don't know the quality of that switch. Thanks again for your post.
Yes, the rocker switch that comes with the winch solenoid is used to control the solenoid- that is its purpose. You must wire the actuator to the solenoid, not the rocker switch.

KPMKubota

Equipment
Jan 28, 2024
20Icamotp24
Yes, the rocker switch that comes with the winch solenoid is used to control the solenoid- that is its purpose. You must wire the actuator to the solenoid, not the rocker switch.
Sorry, I'm missing something. Do I need to use the actuator to control the motor or can I just use the rocker switch to manually control the motor. Thanks

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Sorry, I'm missing something. Do I need to use the actuator to control the motor or can I just use the rocker switch to manually control the motor. Thanks
A spring loaded, center off, double pole, double throw switch (DPDT) is what I use to directly control my electric chute rotator and linear actuator on the chute deflector. the motor and the linear actuator draw such little current that it doesn't take a very heavy duty switch to handle the load. I don't think my motor draws much more than 2 amps.

Dustball

Equipment
2016 B2650HSDC
Sep 15, 2023
Hudson, WI
The switch that comes with the solenoid kit is a SPDT center off rocker. Single pole will not work for controlling an electric actuator directly. An electric actuator moves in each direction depending on the polarity applied to both terminals of the actuator. The winch solenoid or a DPDT center off switch flips the polarity applied to both actuator terminals.

1706484581667.png

Last edited:

KPMKubota

Equipment
Jan 28, 2024
20Icamotp24
The switch that comes with the solenoid kit is a SPDT center off rocker. Single pole will not work for controlling an electric actuator directly. An electric actuator moves in each direction depending on the polarity applied to both terminals of the actuator. The winch solenoid or a DPDT center off switch flips the polarity applied to both actuator terminals.

View attachment 121325
Understood. Thanks very much for the explanation. I plan on ordering the 3 components that Snowdog researched and took the time to list on this thread. Thanks for all the help.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I have been wanting to remove the ridiculous hand crank that turns the auger and toss it in a lake ever since I bought the tractor. But, I will not pay over $1000 for the hydraulic rotator, even though I already have the valve. Kubota should be ashamed that they do not include some kind of motorized rotator for the price of the blower, but I guess that it is their version of undercoating used to soak customers for a few extra bucks.

So, I have kicked the idea around for building a cheapo electric one from Amazon parts. Here is what I came up with and it seems to work very well so far.

Parts Used:

I used an electric seat motor. Even if you don't use this motor, the 190 rpm is almost bang on for the speed:
Amazon.com: 190 Rpm 12Vdc Right Angle Drive Electric Motor From Car Seats

A winch relay to control the back and forth:
Amazon.com: Triumilynn 12V Winch Solenoid Relay Contactor & Winch Rocker Thumb Switch Combo for ATV UTV 1500lb-5000lb Polaris, Warn # 63070 62135 74900 70715 2875714 : Automotive

And an excavator Joystick to control it:
Amazon.com: TRIPPER 3 Buttons Excavator Joystick Assy Handle with Dust Cover for Doosan DX150 215 225 300 370-9C : Video Games

You will also need some additional wiring to supply power to the solenoid and run from the solenoid to the motor. 12 gauge should be adequate. You will also need an inline fuse holder and a 20 amp fuse.

Step 1: Mount the motor. I cut about half of the shaft off of the motor so that it fit in the worm gear on the blower. Then I drilled a hole through the shaft so that I could us a hitch pin to mate the motor to the worm gear. I then removed the chute spacer closest to the motor and used a piece of 1/4" aluminum as a bracket. I made a cardboard template first because it is easier to work with, then transferred the pattern to the aluminum and cut it to shape. The spacer went into the parts bin.

View attachment 120442

View attachment 120443

View attachment 120444

Step 2: Mount Solenoid: Mount the winch solenoid next to the battery with a couple of small bolts.

View attachment 120445

Step 3: Mount the Joystick. I mounted the joystick on top of the factory kubota valve. Pull the factory knob off, just a friction fit. Then unscrew the metal part from the joystick and drill out the threads with a 1/2" drill bit. Then slide the joystick onto the valve shaft.

View attachment 120447

Step 4: Wire it all up. M+ and M- go to the seat motor, doesn't really matter which is positive or negative. B+ and B- are pretty self explanatory, however I used an inline fuse holder to put a 20 amp fuse on the B+. There are 3 wires that go up to the joystick. One is a positive 12v from B+ to one side of each micro switch, and the other two connect the other side of the micro switches in the joystick to the yellow and green from the solenoid for rotate right and rotate left. You will need to play with these two a bit to make sure that you get the rotation in the right direction.

View attachment 120448

I have been using this for a couple of weeks and it is working well. I was worried that the motor may not have enough torque, but so far it has been good. If it turns out to be the weak link, I will just source a new motor with more torque and fab a new bracket. The bonus to using the winch relay is that I could almost put a starter motor there if torque does become an issue.

Nice job and nice write up!

So it appears from your pics and @RDinNHandAZ that the drive screw is always exposed to the elements.

I find that interesting. I thought for sure that part would be enclosed to keep it from icing up.

I think that actuator should work fine. After all, it's designed to push 300 lbs., fat ass's in car seats, so a light chute should be easy for it. 😂

jampy00

Equipment
BX1880
Jan 11, 2024
Ontario, Canada
Awesome idea and great post. I opted out of the hydraulics on mine due to the pricing, but I have no issues with the hand crank. Mind you, I only turn it 2 to 4 times when I clear the snow and never touch the top of the chute.

SnowDoc

Equipment
BX1880
Jan 17, 2024
Ontario, Canada
After a month of use, most of it is holding up very well. So much better than that stupid hand crank.

The one issue that I had was the quality of the micro switches in the joystick handle. One of the original ones failed after a few weeks, so I swapped out with the spare third. Then the second one started to fail. So, I ordered some replacement ones from Amazon that seem to be much better. So I swapped both of the switches for the replacements and we will see if they last longer.

MKBKLLJY 15Pcs Mini Micro Limit Switch 5A 125 250V AC SPDT 1NO 1NC Momentary Switch Snap Action Button Type 3 Pins with 45Pcs Terminal Wires: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

51jAU-lQdNL._SX522_.jpg

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Be 100% sure you get switches rated for DC ( Direct Current ) operation and NOT AC !!! You cannot use a switch designed for AC on DC, at least not for long.....
Also confirm the current rating (amps) is MORE then what is needed. Hint" motors draw much more when first powered , and more under heavy loads

Dustball

Equipment
2016 B2650HSDC
Sep 15, 2023
Hudson, WI
Be 100% sure you get switches rated for DC ( Direct Current ) operation and NOT AC !!! You cannot use a switch designed for AC on DC, at least not for long.....
Also confirm the current rating (amps) is MORE then what is needed. Hint" motors draw much more when first powered , and more under heavy loads
This is true but in the OP's case, he's using the switches to energize a small winch solenoid, not the actuator directly.

Edit- I was curious so I went out to my ATV which has an almost identical winch solenoid and measured the current draw at the rocker switch. Mine uses about 1.45 amps.

1708384786762.png

Last edited: