BX2670 engine acts crazy after mowing for some time

bucknbass

Jun 27, 2017
Alabama
I've got a 2014 BX2670 that had always run great but this year it started to act crazy while mowing (belly mower). I can cut for 30 mins to sometimes over an hour but at some point every time the engine starts to buck, slow down and billow white smoke while doing so.

When it does it I'll turn off the mower but even with the mower PTO off it will still do it.

Put it on the trailer and go home. Next time I mow same thing, great for so long then starts acting up???

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Sounds like a fuel delivery problem.

Is fuel tank vent open and working. Try loosening cap and see if problem goes away. You may be drawing a Vacuum in tank with use.

Suspect electric fuel pump. Disconnect discharge hose and verify strong fuel delivery when you have the problem,

Dave

Attachments

Sjess12

May 29, 2020
Potsdam ny
Not that it could be your problem but I always start with cheapest/ easiest solutions first. By the sounds of it I would change fuel filters. On that specific tractor there are 2 fuel filters. Both same filters but in different spots.

Sjess12

May 29, 2020
Potsdam ny
I thought getting hot to such as head gasket but normally they don't start bucking or running any different. But honestly you never know!

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I've got a 2014 BX2670 that had always run great but this year it started to act crazy while mowing (belly mower). I can cut for 30 mins to sometimes over an hour but at some point every time the engine starts to buck, slow down and billow white smoke while doing so.

When it does it I'll turn off the mower but even with the mower PTO off it will still do it.

Put it on the trailer and go home. Next time I mow same thing, great for so long then starts acting up???
You have a fuel issue. Remove the underhood cover to access the sides of the engine. Remove the hose that connects your front fuel filter to the injection pump from the pump. Hold the hose into a catch can and turn the key switch to RUN. This will run your electric lift pump. You should get a full stream of fuel from the hose. If it just trickles, ( you will need the deck removed ) clamp the hose off before the rear fuel filter, pull hose off of the filter, remove your clamp and see if you have a good stream of fuel there.

If you have a good stream, replace your filters and recheck flow at the injection pump hose. If you have a good flow, put the hose back on and go mow.

If you get a trickle from the hose to the first filter, you will need to remove and clean the tank. Make sure and blow out the fuel hose backwards into the tank while cleaning. Replace both fuel filters.

countryboy9799

Equipment
BX2380
May 23, 2020
MN
Sounds like a fuel delivery problem.

Is fuel tank vent open and working. Try loosening cap and see if problem goes away. You may be drawing a Vacuum in tank with use.

Suspect electric fuel pump. Disconnect discharge hose and verify strong fuel delivery when you have the problem,

Dave
This is the first thing I would try. Take the fuel cap off and listen if you hear a lot of suction, if that fixes it then the tank isn't venting. Then I would suspect the fuel pump next. Could also be something in the tank that plugs the tank outlet

bucknbass

Jun 27, 2017
Alabama
Thanks everyone! I'm in the same camp - fuel delivery issue. Going to do the fuel pump check and replace the filters. I just put on a new fuel cap to see if it might be a venting issue and it's not that.

Thinking it might be some sort of obstruction in the tank the way it's acting so I'll drain and clean it out too.

rovdrew

Equipment
BX 2670RCK60B-23BX mower deck. LA243A Front loader
Apr 21, 2024
Louisiana
Is there any good technical reason the bx2670 first filter and fuel pump are under the tractor?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Is there any good technical reason the bx2670 first filter and fuel pump are under the tractor?
Because that is where the Kubota engineers decided to put them to annoy us every time they needed to be changed. Short of redesigning the fuel system, it is the only place that is somewhat convenient to get to. They could have put them along the frame rail, but then they would be a bigger pain to service.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT

Is it possible you have contamination inside your fuel tank that is stopping flow to the engine?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you put it on top of the tractor it wouldn't self prime.
Besides that it would look rather stupid on top the tractor, and the sun would rot the filter.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Is it possible you have contamination inside your fuel tank that is stopping flow to the engine?
I really hope 4 years later he's gotten it fixed. ;)

You got sucked into a zombie thread!