BX25 w/MMM in a 5x10 dump trailer??

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
After doing some research it would seem that what I am wanting do is a bit contested from what I can tell.

I would like to buy a 5X10 dump trailer and "Occasionally" be able to haul my BX25 in it with a mid mount mower. (Primarily short trips to maintain rental properties when the need arises.)
I am looking to buy the 54" MMM and the trailer as I have found a fair deal on both.
My reasoning is this. I dont need or want a huge dump trailer hence the 5X10. I also want to be able to bag hence a MMM.

Aside from the debates, 5X10 is too small, and Rear Mower being less of a headache. Is there any real flaw with this plan?
Anyone out there currently doing this?

Advice?

( I would rather be flamed before spending thousands, than afterwards) :)

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
One thing to consider besides fit: Even if it will physically fit inside the trailer, it MIGHT not balance for proper tongue weight. But you don't have any room to move it forward or backwards. Turning it around may or may not help.

Bruce

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
After doing some research it would seem that what I am wanting do is a bit contested from what I can tell.

I would like to buy a 5X10 dump trailer and "Occasionally" be able to haul my BX25 in it with a mid mount mower. (Primarily short trips to maintain rental properties when the need arises.)
I am looking to buy the 54" MMM and the trailer as I have found a fair deal on both.
My reasoning is this. I dont need or want a huge dump trailer hence the 5X10. I also want to be able to bag hence a MMM.

Aside from the debates, 5X10 is too small, and Rear Mower being less of a headache. Is there any real flaw with this plan?
Anyone out there currently doing this?

Advice?

( I would rather be flamed before spending thousands, than afterwards) :)

I am not sure the BX will fit on the 10' frame! YOUR bucket will hang out on the tongue and the hoe will have to be pulled to one side. I am not sure that a 10' will hold that 3000 lbs either. GO ahead and get one for travel and be safe - rather than one size fits all!;)

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
I was thinking for trailering to a mowing job he would have the loader and backhoe removed.

Bruce

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I was thinking for trailering to a mowing job he would have the loader and backhoe removed.

Bruce
ok, now that changes the game .......quite a bit ! ;) If you mower will fit on that trailer, then you will be fine. I can place my B7100 on a 6' x 8' trailer - it has a 60" MMM deck too. That will be close with you 54" deck too.:)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Most dump trailers require more ground clearance to load then a tractor with a MMM attached, test before committing to the buy. ;)

RyeThomas

Dec 23, 2015
Northern Virginia
I have a larger dump trailer I haul mine in from time to time and I wish I had my old utility trailer back to move the machine.
Yes you can tilt the dump and park down hill to help with the break over angle but I've been buried in driveways parked uphill with no other choice and it can be a bit unnerving (even low pro they sit high). Also my ramps are big and heavy and a royal pain to pull off the side and move to the back then replace.

I'm just playing devils advocate.

Also someone mentioned removing implements? That sounds like a pain. Might be easier to get a larger utility so you can put the whole shooting match on with ease and pick up a used zero turn to mow with.

Good luck, Rye.

alansz400

Equipment
B7500. FEL, Piranha tooth bar, box scraper, post hole digger, 3 pt. bucket
Oct 26, 2013
Loudonville OHIO
I feel the same way. The dump trailer is great for dumping but not so great for tractor hauling. If it wasn't so high it wouldn't be bad and like you say those ramps are way over built. I can still borrow my utility trailer since I sold it to a friend but I hate doing that. Hope to find a cheap used one at some point. Honestly I have used my dump trailer way less then I thought I would but its to handy to sell.

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
To be clear, I have never hauled my tractor on a trailer except to haul it home. And I can only have 1 trailer. I simply do not have the room for a trailer fleet. yes it would be nice to have a car trailer, dump trailer and what not, but I need to fit in my driveway. :) I have more need for a small dump trailer to replace my 5X10 landscape which is too light to haul my tractor although I have seen guys doing scary stuff with smaller. Truth be told, I am getting too lazy to unload the thing at the dump anymore.

I also talked with a youtuber that has same tractor and trailer that I am going to buy. He tells me it works good. Paul Short also using a 5X10 without a lot of issue. I will see if I can test before a full committal though. :)

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
I'm in the same boat. I don't want a fleet of dedicated use trailers. While the dump trailer isn't the ideal equipment trailer, it fits the bill. I went with a 14' dump so I could haul the tractor with something attached and the loader on.

Sent from a field

RyeThomas

Dec 23, 2015
Northern Virginia
Yep, boss told me one trailer so it's the 7x12 dump. Wish I had a 14 or 16 but with limited space and the fact I believe anything over 12K should be a goose neck ( which takes up a bit more room) my 7x 12 dump is awesome. Not ideal for everything but it gets it done.

alansz400

Equipment
B7500. FEL, Piranha tooth bar, box scraper, post hole digger, 3 pt. bucket
Oct 26, 2013
Loudonville OHIO
Mine is 7x12 also. Big Tex and wow is it heavy. You better have a big truck if you are going to pull a dump trailer.
It is great for going to the scrap yard. Just back in, dump, and get paid. Works good for unloading fire wood. Just a pain getting that big of a trailer to the wood sometimes. We did haul a jeep in it one time but had to tie the door shut.
I was thinking if I could only have one trailer I guess it would be the dump until the diesel truck dies then I may go back to a smaller trailer.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
Here is my BX24. It is within Idaho (I have been to Washington, Oregon and Montana with out even a second look) state and DOT regulations. My trailer is a Big Tex LP70 dump trailer 4X10. So I would say if you MMM will fit it ships (Sorry USPS I had to steal the phrase).

Attachments

Last edited:

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
I've been using a 5 x 10 with my BX for quite a while. A couple of points:
1. Axle ratings may be an issue with a 5 x 10 dump trailer. 10 foot trailers are generally single axle units, with the typical axles rated for 3,000 or 3,500 lbs. My landscape type 5 x 10 has a 3,500 # axle that I figure is just adequate for my BX + FEL + loaded tires + implement.

The dump trailer will be heavier, as will a BX25 with mower. Get your calculator out and do some figuring of the weights.

2. Agree with comments about a 10 footer being too short to balance the load well. I have to back the BX on to the trailer with the bucket hanging out past the tailgate and any implement jutting out over the tongue of the trailer. That's really not a good setup for hauling. With a dump trailer, I don't know how you could load any kind of 3 point implement.

3. Be sure to check the width measurements vs. the mower deck. My 54" just fits on my trailer with the deflector chute propped up.

car compulsive

Jun 25, 2015
MI
Speaking of trailers... My neighbor hired a guy to refurb his hot tub. He shows up with a fullsize van full of parts and a small trailer with a little JD lawn tractor on it. He unloaded the tractor, hooked the trailer to it, and then loaded the trailer with parts and tools. He drove the tractor to the rear of the property and backed the trailer onto the pool deck next to the ailing hot tub.

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
I just completed plans for a trailer primarily to haul my BX with the loader, mower and an implement if need be. I wanted the SMALLEST trailer possible for space saving, maneuverability and to lighten the load on my truck. In the end, 5' 6" X 12' was as small as I could get it, and that is with the loader curled under. My 60" MMM is like 63" wide.

Flienlow

Equipment
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
Here is my BX24. It is within Idaho (I have been to Washington, Oregon and Montana with out even a second look) state and DOT regulations. My trailer is a Big Tex LP70 dump trailer 4X10. So I would say if you MMM will fit it ships (Sorry USPS I had to steal the phrase).
Well good bad or indifferent, I followed your lead. I have seen your photo on several threads. After a lot of thought, I went with the 5X10 load trail. If size becomes an issue, I will upgrade. So far my truck does well with the trailer loaded and I do like the compact size.
(I didn't end up getting the MMM yet. )

My trailer was not even an hour old and a buddy called in a favor to haul something for him. Its all good.

Shameless load video....https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&feature=vm&video_id=mEWOGYp3Q_s

Last edited: