BX25 Front Hitch

Mork

Equipment
2014 BX25D
Apr 20, 2015
Mt Pearl, NL
I am fabricating a trailer hitch assembly to install on the front of the BX25. It will be mounted via the same holes used to mount the front bush guard.
I want to use the BX to put 2 jest skis in the lake at the summer home. They are 4 stroke machines and the weight with the trailer is approximately 2000 to 2200 lbs. I will be running down grade a little to the lake and will need to reverse to remove them. I am thinking that low range 4wd should be sufficient for this.

What are your opinions on using this machine for this sort of thing. Can it handle the weight?

thanks

Jim

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I am fabricating a trailer hitch assembly to install on the front of the BX25. It will be mounted via the same holes used to mount the front bush guard.
I want to use the BX to put 2 jest skis in the lake at the summer home. They are 4 stroke machines and the weight with the trailer is approximately 2000 to 2200 lbs. I will be running down grade a little to the lake and will need to reverse to remove them. I am thinking that low range 4wd should be sufficient for this.

What are your opinions on using this machine for this sort of thing. Can it handle the weight?

thanks

Jim
How slippery is the ramp, or is it dirt orr? Tractor weight spech say it alone weighs around 1150lbs so you'll need to add weight so the trailer w/jet skis does out weight you.

Other question I can't answer is BRAKES. Can they stop the trailer.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

thanks

Jim
Jim,

seen it down with a lot less tractor and a lot more boat. But that doenst mean it is a great idea.

Friend of mine has a good slope ramp into the water, and has a b7200.....and has pulled rather large boats out of the water!!!

A three point setup would be easier to fabricate - you have the bucket there as weight to on the front.

Also - you might be surprised that you will not need 4wd drive to do what you need to do - the 4wd will get stressed on concrete or asphalt so be careful with that!

Mork

Equipment
2014 BX25D
Apr 20, 2015
Mt Pearl, NL
Jim,

seen it down with a lot less tractor and a lot more boat. But that doenst mean it is a great idea.

Friend of mine has a good slope ramp into the water, and has a b7200.....and has pulled rather large boats out of the water!!!

A three point setup would be easier to fabricate - you have the bucket there as weight to on the front.

Also - you might be surprised that you will not need 4wd drive to do what you need to do - the 4wd will get stressed on concrete or asphalt so be careful with that!
There is no concrete ramp to the lake just a gravel slope. Currently I use my Yamaha Rhino ATV to do this so I figured the tractor should not have an issue with them.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
There is no concrete ramp to the lake just a gravel slope. Currently I use my Yamaha Rhino ATV to do this so I figured the tractor should not have an issue with them.
On the gravel you might need the 4wd and it would allow a little slippage too.

Your tractor will do this very easy - this is hard to beat for the price!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Receiver-Trai..._1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1435162288&sr=1-1

or this :

http://www.amazon.com/Trailer-compa..._3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1435162288&sr=1-3

I bought the second one - I think it would take me more money just to buy the parts !!!!

Having the 3 point mobility is something that works better than a ball on the front of the tractor - just my 2 cents !:)

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Be aware on BXs the brake is in the transmission. If you are not in 4 wheel drive you are locking the transmission and not both rear wheels. Plus with the hitch on the front you are adding weight to the front and reducing the load on the rear wheels.:eek: You will definitely want to be in 4 wheel drive for traction.:cool:

Dr Honda

Equipment
BX1870
Mar 30, 2015
Pitt, PA
Yep... what he said.

I have no doubt in my mind that the tractor can move the weight around... but since you only have one brake... and because of that, you can still get tire slippage... it could get ugly if you needed to stop on a slope. Because of that... I generally only move my empty trailers around with my tractor.

I move my 5000 Lb boat around with a 1000 Lb Polaris RZR. I feel safer with that, just for the simple fact that it has brakes on all the tires.

Just be carful, and stay in 4wd low.

Mork

Equipment
2014 BX25D
Apr 20, 2015
Mt Pearl, NL
Thanks for all the advice fellas. I don't think I will have much trouble with the BX doing this job. The weight difference between the BX and the Rhino should make the BX a more stable platform to move these machines around.
I will hook up the Gopro and video it when I get the hitch finished and post it.

Thanks
again.

Jim