Bx23s mowing over septic

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
Hello everyone,
My name is Adam and I am new here. I will be purchasing a BX23S shortly after my house is finished being built. We have about 17 acres and about 3-4 acres cleared. I think the BX will be the right size for me and what I plan to do but I'm not sure if it's too heavy to drive over my septic system. I didn't know if anyone has run into any issues driving on theirs. ANy help would be great. I do have a little riding mower I could use but it would be nice to do all my mowing with just the bx since I will be getting the 60" deck vs my 38" deck on my cub cadet. Thanks in advance!
It's not so much the tank you have to worry about as the drain field. Stay off of it if the ground is soft.

Charlie5320

Equipment
BX2670
Jan 8, 2018
Springfield, IL.
We just built last year, similar size 17+ acres, but around 8 are field. My septic leach system is a raised or mound system with the discharge tubes being housed in a plastic tunnel. No issues on driving over the leach system with my B3200. Watch out for the clean out tubes at the end of each row.

My tank is located about 20' off the house foundation and my access lids (or portals to hell as I call them) are made of green plastic that are held in place by 10 or so screws. I use a string trimmer around the access lids and my pump control box. being close to the house, I either finish mowing that area with a push or small riding mower. I don't have a finish mower for my B3200. Even though the lids to the tank are thick, I don't think they would stand up too well to a brush hog.

My bigger issue was with things settling last summer. The tanks went in when the ground was fairly wet and it settled enough to shear the outflow line to the leach field as well as almost fully pinch the line from the house to the tank. I had the installer come back out and they ended up digging out the tanks, putting in a few tons more gravel, resetting the tanks and fixing the input and output lines.

Take pictures of how stuff is located before they backfill. It is a great reference for when you have problems or are looking to do additional work around the house.
I've lived in houses with septic systems most of my adult life [67] and have never seen a leach field installed that close to the top of the ground. I'd be afraid to even drive an automobile across that yard. Maybe this is something new.

After a dry summer I can see where my leach field is, as the grass IS greener and grows faster. Never had any problems with it and have only had the tank pumped one time, because the wife thought we needed it. The guy that did it said it didn't need anything done as it had very little solids in it.

RWey56

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 8, 2018
Stanchfield, MN
Thanks for the responses. Still really not sure what the verdict is. I have a call into the excavator who installed my spill-over/pump tank. I have to believe he'd know for sure. If I hear back from him, I'll respond back.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I've lived in houses with septic systems most of my adult life [67] and have never seen a leach field installed that close to the top of the ground. I'd be afraid to even drive an automobile across that yard. Maybe this is something new.
Charlie-

It's been a while, but I think that's what was called a gravel-less system 25 years ago in New York.

The plastic chambers take the place of typical 4" PVC and 12" of stone. They're actually pretty stout when put in a normal 24" wide trench.

You always want to keep an absorption area (leach field) as close to the surface as possible.

What struck me was the length of the laterals. But Johnjk has a pump system to charge it. Thus the risers at the end of each lateral. In New York, you couldn't go beyond 60 feet of lateral without pressure (pump) or siphon dosing.

Years ago, I had a job where they told me shit runs down hill, you get paid every-other week, and everything else is On-the-Job Training...

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Thanks for the responses. Still really not sure what the verdict is. I have a call into the excavator who installed my spill-over/pump tank. I have to believe he'd know for sure. If I hear back from him, I'll respond back.
I drive on my concrete tank all the time. There are many in parking lots all over here that should designed for parking lot service, but not so.

As others said, the issue is more the absorption area. If it's dry, it can take it, since it's normally designed with a stone buffer or chambers that are resistant to compaction.

YMMV

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You've heard the saying, "sh_t happens". We had a septic tank lid fall in. Nothing had ever driven over it, not even walked on with a push mower. Had a ring of stone around it and landscape chips inside the rock.

The lid just failed. After seeing that I would push mow over a tank and nothing heavier! YMMV

Bill15kv

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 7, 2018
Vermont
Been driving on mine with small equipment (less than 2000lbs) for years, never drive a vehicle (cars, trucks, large tractors...) over them!
Lets keep in mind we’re talking about ground pressure, here’s an example. I’m 240 lbs, when walking, all 240 gets put onto 1 of my feet, which covers less than .3 square feet. Your 2000 lb tractor has 4 tires with a contact patch of around .5 on the front and probably close to 2 sq ft on the rear.
I won’t bore everyone with the math but driving a bx across the tank or field is no worse than walking on top of it because the weight is spread out. Use common sense here, if its wet and your feet are sinking in, stay off!
As for the guys ruining leach fields with snowmobiles, those fields had preexisting issues. I’ve lived in northern VT my whole life where the frost line is generally around 4’ in winter and never heard of such a thing...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lordulrich

Equipment
BX 2370, 60 MMM, Loader, Front Mount Snow Blower, Landpride 3 pt blade, Tiller
Jul 28, 2016
SE Minnesota
I won’t bore everyone with the math but driving a bx across the tank or field is no worse than walking on top of it because the weight is spread out.
Not exactly true with the tank. Yes the pressure matters and it drives the punching shear (punching thru the top), however you still need to worry about the bending moment in the lid. The bending moment depends on how much load and where it is, area is irreverent.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Here's the easiest way to answer the question once and for all. If you have four to ten thousand dollars sitting around that you don't mind spending if it does all go wrong, then drive away, LOL.

if you don't like that possibility, take 5 minutes with the push mower, LOL.

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
I broke through a septic tank once. Scared the S#!T out of me! But that was in a 40yd Cat 400 Rock Truck. :D

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH

After a dry summer I can see where my leach field is, as the grass IS greener and grows faster. Never had any problems with it and have only had the tank pumped one time, because the wife thought we needed it. The guy that did it said it didn't need anything done as it had very little solids in it.
The joys of the area I live in and the Health Dept regulations. It is called a mound system and the leach pipes are under the black tunnels. The entire thing was covered with topsoil at a depth of 6" over the top of the mounds. Due to the clay in my area, the leach tubes need to sit just below the topsoil. Neighbors that have a more traditional in ground system that is buried 8-12" down have had to pull it out and put in a mound due to new regulations. Lucky for me I built a few months after the rules changed so I have the new style

I stay off it when wet but when dry, I take the B3200 right over with the brush hog. This year I will be picking up a garden tractor for mowing around the house and doing finish cutting. I'll let the wife mow the leach field

Charlie5320

Equipment
BX2670
Jan 8, 2018
Springfield, IL.
My leach field is also in hard yellow clay. My piping is in a 24" wide trench with 12" of pea gravel and a 8" plastic tile. It is buried about 12" deep, haven't had a problem in 33 years. I stay off of it when it's wet but when it's dry I have even ran all over it with my 5500 lb truck, nary a problem.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Well I had good news and bad news this week. The bad news is my septic tank sort of blew the lid off a stand pipe Monday night. Had it pumped, and since it is old you have to dig down about two or three feet to take part of a concrete lid off. As he was digging I thought I saw a crack and said so, and he said no it's not and then it broke. Good news neither he nor the rest of the lid went into the tank, which is scary deep. Even better news is I had driven the B2650 over it this summer, wasn't exactly sure where it was. Could have fallen in. Not so good news is because of its age, greater than 60 years, and problem of replacing the lid, new tank going in. The project keeps snowballing especially if permit inspector looks in my basement tomorrow where plumbing is not up to code. Fixing that will get really pricey :(

I will NOT be able to drive the B over it. Some kind of green lids come up to the surface, and have to get 1500 gal because I have a disposal in the kitchen. Concrete tank. Good news is weather is holding for a few more days.

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
My system is a raised sand bed system, 3 ft of sand w/ the vented plastic chambers buried within. Cover is 6" loam topsoil. Entire field is encased in a clay perimeter berm, 25 degree slope down to original grade. Field is large, 7 leach lines @ 80' ea. 1000 gallon, 2 chamber, concrete tank and lid. Distribution box is also all concrete.

Mow entire lawn and septic system field w/ a 5000 lb utility tractor since 1976.

Never an issue, wet or dry, surface water goes right through the sand, is filtered through the sand along w/ gray/black water and discharged as normal storm runoff.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Hello everyone,
My name is Adam and I am new here. I will be purchasing a BX23S shortly after my house is finished being built. We have about 17 acres and about 3-4 acres cleared. I think the BX will be the right size for me and what I plan to do but I'm not sure if it's too heavy to drive over my septic system. I didn't know if anyone has run into any issues driving on theirs. ANy help would be great. I do have a little riding mower I could use but it would be nice to do all my mowing with just the bx since I will be getting the 60" deck vs my 38" deck on my cub cadet. Thanks in advance!
Not a problem with your BX, BIG problem with either of my M's. Been there and did that and had to pour a new concrete lid for mine after I dropped a rear wheel in the honey pit by accident. Got a bit too close while hauling tree branches and down she went, through the lid.:eek:

Built a form right next to the tank, added screening, added lift eyes and poured it on the spot. let it harden up and replaced the lid and I don't drive there anymore with the tractor.