Bx23s Backhoe release pin is stuck

perryfletcher

Equipment
Bx23s
Nov 23, 2023
Alabama
I have a 2023 Bx23s with the backhoe. I am needing to take the backhoe off and every video I watch on how to remove it they easily grab a silver handle behind the fender well and pull it out and turn it then the C like clamps open up and they push the pin back in. Looks so simple and easy to do. I have the exact same set up. However, my pins will not budge. I have had to jerk and yank on them and they don’t move. Please help. Is there something on new tractors that prevents you from pulling them out like a safety mechanism for transport that I am not seeing or something like that?

Attachments

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
They get dirty from the dust and I have had to spray mine with penetrating oil to loosen them up. I used Deep Creep in the past, and after it happened to me a second time, I have gotten in the habit of dropping the backhoe partially and then putting it back on so it stays clean.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Do you have pressure on the C clamps? Have you reviewed the owners manuals on the procedure?

perryfletcher

Equipment
Bx23s
Nov 23, 2023
Alabama
I
They get dirty from the dust and I have had to spray mine with penetrating oil to loosen them up. I used Deep Creep in the past, and after it happened to me a second time, I have gotten in the habit of dropping the backhoe partially and then putting it back on so it stays clean.
I will have to try that but it should not be dirty at all. I only have 9 hours on it.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Try putting your outriggers down and lift the tractor, then retract them and try again. Have you ever had it off? It might have been sitting on the dealer's lot for a while before you purchased it. If all else fails, call your dealer and ask them to have the salesman stop by and show you how to do it. If he has a problem, then they will most likely bring it into the shop for repair or send someone to fix it in the field.

perryfletcher

Equipment
Bx23s
Nov 23, 2023
Alabama
N
Do you have pressure on the C clamps? Have you reviewed the owners manuals on the procedure?
o. I have the booms down and the wheels picked off the ground slightly. I have read the manual and it just says to turn the arm which I can not do.

perryfletcher

Equipment
Bx23s
Nov 23, 2023
Alabama
Try putting your outriggers down and lift the tractor, then retract them and try again. Have you ever had it off? It might have been sitting on the dealer's lot for a while before you purchased it. If all else fails, call your dealer and ask them to have the salesman stop by and show you how to do it. If he has a problem, then they will most likely bring it into the shop for repair or send someone to fix it in the field.
I have never had it off. Just got it Friday and was going to take it for the first time to set up my 3 point hitch.
Sounds like I am going to have to call them. I have not seen anyone have this problem and everyone else’s handles turn so easy.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I've never had the BH off but I seem to recall you have to pull the pins out first THEN rotate them to unlock ?
You'd think someone would have posted a good video on 'how to' do it.
probably one of those 'once you do it , it's easy'...things.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
N

o. I have the booms down and the wheels picked off the ground slightly. I have read the manual and it just says to turn the arm which I can not do.
Raise the out riggers and have the tractor on its tires, keep the boom out and in contact with ground (or dolly if that’s what you have), then try to release it, then use the outriggers to lift it out of the subframe

edit: you will probably need to pull the boom in a little after you release it to allow the hoe platform to roll back away from the tractor before using outriggers to lift it off the bottom pins in the subframe

Last edited:

perryfletcher

Equipment
Bx23s
Nov 23, 2023
Alabama
I've never had the BH off but I seem to recall you have to pull the pins out first THEN rotate them to unlock ?
You'd think someone would have posted a good video on 'how to' do it.
probably one of those 'once you do it , it's easy'...things.
They have tons of videos but everyone else pulls the pin out turns it and pushes it back in. On mine I can not do step 1. My pin will not pull out much less turn.

perryfletcher

Equipment
Bx23s
Nov 23, 2023
Alabama
Y’all I am a DA. I figured it out. The manual says to lower the boom yet shows a picture of the outrigger going down so I was using the outrigger to pick up the wheels and not the backhoe itself. If you use the outriggers to do the lifting the pins will not turn. As soon as I picked them up and lifted the tractor off the ground pushing up with the backhoe (boom) the turned so easy. Thank you all for the help.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

perryfletcher

Equipment
Bx23s
Nov 23, 2023
Alabama
Raise the out riggers and have the tractor on its tires, keep the boom out and in contact with ground (or dolly if that’s what you have), then try to release it, then use the outriggers to lift it out of the subframe

edit: you will probably need to pull the boom in a little after you release it to allow the hoe platform to roll back away from the tractor before using outriggers to lift it off the bottom pins in the subframe
Worked like a charm. This was the issue. I looked a the picture in the manual instead of reading what it actually said. It says lower the boom but has a picture of lowering the outrigger.

Reactions: 2 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Thinking back about this, it was my BX22 that gave me the problem with the dirt. The BX23S is similar, but not the same. It is the kind of thing that you do it once in a while and you have to take a refresher course a year later when it comes time to do it again.

IDKUBOTA

Equipment
L3800DT/FEL/BH77 and others
Dec 16, 2012
Latah County, ID

Attachments

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Lowering the bucket and some down pressure relieves tension on the pins so they are easily turned! Yes lowering the outriggers almost to the ground (not touching) is for saftey . Once the pins are turned and the BH tipped away from the tractor the outriggers can be used to lift BH out of its cradle. NOW put a cinder block or something under the BH to keep it from leaking down or next you will be asking why you cant reconnect the HYD hoses!;)