BX2360 less than 100hrs, running rough/stalling

mattryan

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, 60'' deck, BXpanded sprayer, land pride 48'' tiller
Sep 15, 2013
Landenberg, Pa
BotaDriver already asked but you never answered him so I'll ask again.
Have you checked or changed the air filter?
A clogged air filter will give you the same problems as your mentioning.;)
Yes, i did change the filter, though, the one I took out was clean. I keep the machine in the garage, not that that can prevent mice, but I did check.

I think it is going to be a fuel issue, whether it be a feed/flow problem of bad algea fuel....

I am going to attack it wendsday. I ordered a bunch of filters and a mr funnel fuel filtering funnel.. I am going to get fresh fuel and treat it and go from there.

It is odd how it was working fine all day and then just started choking...

I am anxious to get on it..

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
"It is odd how it was working fine all day and then just started choking..."

I'm not declaring that this is the problem, but the fungus (not algea- that needs light to grow) will coagulate, and clog up the pickup tube if/when it gets in the vicinity.

For what it's worth, that's been the similar symptom with gas in the diesel- it would run good for 10 or 20 minutes, then choke.

mattryan

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 15, 2013
Landenberg, Pa
"It is odd how it was working fine all day and then just started choking..."

I'm not declaring that this is the problem, but the fungus (not algea- that needs light to grow) will coagulate, and clog up the pickup tube if/when it gets in the vicinity.

For what it's worth, that's been the similar symptom with gas in the diesel- it would run good for 10 or 20 minutes, then choke.
I have deffinetly not put gas in it. The time line with the fuel is as follows:

Filled tank with diesel. Mowed lawn with no problems.
about a week passes and I move 2.5 cords of wood with the loader from 12:00-2:00
then I removed the loader and mowed the front lawn from 2:15-3:00

thats when the machine began to fail. So the fuel worked fine for one complete mow, moveing wood, and mowing the front lawn about 5 and a half hours of use on the same tank of fuel before the problems started..

The engine turns over fine and sounds fine for a little while. but then the revs will fall and the machine begins to stall and choke.

the transfer pump sounds like it works fine, but I am not impressed with the flow rate.

Also, the fuel filter closest to the engine is always about 2/3 full of fuel even after bleeding the system at the injector pump bleeding screw.

I really can't wait to go though the system tank to engine and see if I can find the issue.

Do you, by chance, know why or when Kubota changed the transfer fuel pump? If you look at the parts diagram on the website, you can see an old and new version.

I really do appretiate all the help I have been getting from everyone on this site, it is very cool.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Since your trouble started after removing the FEL, perhaps you cut, crushed or bent a fuel line while taking that off. I would look closely at the fuel lines to ensure they do not look damaged.

There have also been reports of the flexible (rubber?) fuel lines that are collapsing in the internal tube and slowing the fuel flow. From the external side the tube looks fine. You may want to search for those threads on this forum (I can't recall who had that problem but they have pointed to it several times and it has resolved similar problems). If you have a local dealer it may be a good idea to just replace the flexible lines when your tank is drained anyway.

Another thing to check is the venting of the tank (usually in the cap) to ensure that a vacuum is not forming in the tank when enough fuel is used. Can run it a while with the cap loose to see if that resolves the issue.

Good Luck!

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Is you tractor still under warranty? If it is I would be calling the dealer and let them figure out the problem or at least give you some advice. No sense of doing extra work yourself if it is something Kubota will pay for.

mattryan

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 15, 2013
Landenberg, Pa
Since your trouble started after removing the FEL, perhaps you cut, crushed or bent a fuel line while taking that off. I would look closely at the fuel lines to ensure they do not look damaged.

There have also been reports of the flexible (rubber?) fuel lines that are collapsing in the internal tube and slowing the fuel flow. From the external side the tube looks fine. You may want to search for those threads on this forum (I can't recall who had that problem but they have pointed to it several times and it has resolved similar problems). If you have a local dealer it may be a good idea to just replace the flexible lines when your tank is drained anyway.

Another thing to check is the venting of the tank (usually in the cap) to ensure that a vacuum is not forming in the tank when enough fuel is used. Can run it a while with the cap loose to see if that resolves the issue.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the reply. Good point on the fuel lines, I did not make contact with them when removing the loader, but was considering replacing all of them.

I cut my old fuel filters open last night, they are full of black grime. It seems to have come in sheets from somewhere, I'm assumming the tank. I am going to treat the fuel that is in the tank now with power serve bio kleen, swish it around a bit, drain it, treat fresh clean diesel with the same product and attempt to run it through the system. After lloking at the filter, I am almost possitive I have fungi..
I am working on getting pictures uploaded.
I will be working on the machine tommorow... wish me luck.

mattryan

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 15, 2013
Landenberg, Pa
Is you tractor still under warranty? If it is I would be calling the dealer and let them figure out the problem or at least give you some advice. No sense of doing extra work yourself if it is something Kubota will pay for.
Yeah... I am pretty sure it is under warrenty. I just don't want to have them fix something that looks like it is going to be my fault for not treating the fuel in the first place. I think the machine is sound.

I cut into my filter to see what was in it. It was ugly. It is covered with a black material that seems to have come out of the tank in sheets. It makes me think that it is fungi... after reading the posts of many.

my plan is to treat the fuel in the tank with bi-kleen, swish it around, drain it, replace my filters again, refill with treated, clean, and new fuel and try to run it through the machine. I will most likely end up going through a few filters, but it is what it is.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Yeah... I am pretty sure it is under warrenty. I just don't want to have them fix something that looks like it is going to be my fault for not treating the fuel in the first place. I think the machine is sound.

I cut into my filter to see what was in it. It was ugly. It is covered with a black material that seems to have come out of the tank in sheets. It makes me think that it is fungi... after reading the posts of many.

my plan is to treat the fuel in the tank with bi-kleen, swish it around, drain it, replace my filters again, refill with treated, clean, and new fuel and try to run it through the machine. I will most likely end up going through a few filters, but it is what it is.
That black material is bacterial fungus, most likely.
You will need a biocide to kill the bacteria, or it will continue to grow. It is on the sides of the tank, in the fuel, in the lines. You should clean the tank out real well (more than swishing it), put new fuel in, add a biocide to kill anything in the system, then peroidically treat it so that it can't grow back.
I had a hard time finding biocide- the only place local that stocked it was a truck stop. Make sure that it is a biocide, not just fuel treatment. Powerservice makes some, but I couldn't find it. Powerservice also makes a product that will break up the junk (but it will still clog up the filter), but it in itself isn't a biocide, which kills the bacteria.
The bacteria can grow in any fuel that gets moisture in it, so it may not be from where you bought the fuel. Any condensation, rain water, etc. can supply the water for the bacteria to grow. The best thing to do is treat for it, instead of try and worry about which station moves more fuel.

mattryan

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 15, 2013
Landenberg, Pa
That black material is bacterial fungus, most likely.
You will need a biocide to kill the bacteria, or it will continue to grow. It is on the sides of the tank, in the fuel, in the lines. You should clean the tank out real well (more than swishing it), put new fuel in, add a biocide to kill anything in the system, then peroidically treat it so that it can't grow back.
I had a hard time finding biocide- the only place local that stocked it was a truck stop. Make sure that it is a biocide, not just fuel treatment. Powerservice makes some, but I couldn't find it. Powerservice also makes a product that will break up the junk (but it will still clog up the filter), but it in itself isn't a biocide, which kills the bacteria.
The bacteria can grow in any fuel that gets moisture in it, so it may not be from where you bought the fuel. Any condensation, rain water, etc. can supply the water for the bacteria to grow. The best thing to do is treat for it, instead of try and worry about which station moves more fuel.
I bought the Bio Kleen Power service from NAPA. They carry it, fyi. I'm pretty sure it is fungi too.

What is the best way to clean the tank? I don't want to put water in it... I may be able to get to some of it with a rag, but I'm not sure.

I am really hoping that this Mr Funnel Fuel filter proves to work very well. If it doea, I should be able to keep rinsing the tank with Bio Kleen treated fuel to clean it.

Should be fun...

mattryan

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sep 15, 2013
Landenberg, Pa
Hello everyone.

Okay, all is well again.

Last night, I added a dose of Bio Kleen to my suspected to be contaminated fuel. Today, I drained said fuel and cleaned the tank out the best I could. I cleaned the tank by making a flexible mop out of an old fishing rod and some shop rags that are not supposed to leave lint. I did not go nuts mopping the tank; just a couple passes. In order to drain the tank I removed the front line filter, which had to be replaced again anyway, and used compressed air to pressurize the tank. This saved some time.

I refueled the tractor with on-road diesel from Sonoco that I treated with a dose of Bio Kleen, Power Service Diesel treat, and Sea Foam.

I then installed new filters, bled the system, and let the tractor idle for some time to let the Sea Foam do its thing. After about 30-45 minutes of idling, I took the machine for a few laps around the yard. All seemed well. In order to not destroy the lawn, I took the tractor around the neighborhood, up and down hills to put a strain on it. Again, all was well. So I put my deck on, cut the grass and everything is fine.

Lesson learned:

Treat every tank of fuel.

I personally will never again use off road diesel in my tractor. I was taken to the diesel tanks where I work and shown by on of the mechanics the difference in the filtration they use on the off road tank versus the on road tank. Apparently there is a difference that is more significant then just some dye. Because I use so little fuel a year, it is worth it for me to use a cleaner fuel to keep my tractor in good running order.

Replace fuel filters at least once a year.

Thank you all for your help troubleshooting this problem. I saved a lot of time and headache with your tips. Really, very cool. Thanks again.

Matt

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Hello everyone.

Okay, all is well again.

Last night, I added a dose of Bio Kleen to my suspected to be contaminated fuel. Today, I drained said fuel and cleaned the tank out the best I could. I cleaned the tank by making a flexible mop out of an old fishing rod and some shop rags that are not supposed to leave lint. I did not go nuts mopping the tank; just a couple passes. In order to drain the tank I removed the front line filter, which had to be replaced again anyway, and used compressed air to pressurize the tank. This saved some time.

I refueled the tractor with on-road diesel from Sonoco that I treated with a dose of Bio Kleen, Power Service Diesel treat, and Sea Foam.

I then installed new filters, bled the system, and let the tractor idle for some time to let the Sea Foam do its thing. After about 30-45 minutes of idling, I took the machine for a few laps around the yard. All seemed well. In order to not destroy the lawn, I took the tractor around the neighborhood, up and down hills to put a strain on it. Again, all was well. So I put my deck on, cut the grass and everything is fine.

Lesson learned:

Treat every tank of fuel.

I personally will never again use off road diesel in my tractor. I was taken to the diesel tanks where I work and shown by on of the mechanics the difference in the filtration they use on the off road tank versus the on road tank. Apparently there is a difference that is more significant then just some dye. Because I use so little fuel a year, it is worth it for me to use a cleaner fuel to keep my tractor in good running order.

Replace fuel filters at least once a year.

Thank you all for your help troubleshooting this problem. I saved a lot of time and headache with your tips. Really, very cool. Thanks again.

Matt
Glad it is resolved, and you learned a lot about your tractor! Really, it can happen to anyone, anytime. It wasn't a kubota problem, it was a fuel problem, and you have one fine piece of equipment that your faith is restore in.