BX2320 Blowing Loaded Tire Beads

Pypes

Equipment
BX2320
Nov 19, 2014
Marmora, On.
I am about to light a fire under my poor little tractor, and pretend I never owned her. I bought my BX2320 new in the spring, and had three rear tires blow a bead in the first 20 hours. The dealer fixed them all, and I thought maybe the problem had gone away, as I got through the entire summer without a problem. Then yesterday after a 15 deg temperature drop, I moved her into the garage to protect her from the snow, a 30 foot trek, and another bead broke. Everyone I've talked to says that this is very unusual, and I have to agree. Anyone heard of this, or have a idea what it might be. Thanks.

Industrial tires, with tubes, loaded.

Last edited:

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Is it always the same tire that breaks the bead?

Psi to low.
Defective wheel.
Damaged/defective tire.

Pypes

Equipment
BX2320
Nov 19, 2014
Marmora, On.
Not going to believe this. I called Carlisle, the manufacturer of the tire, and they told me I had to have a 9.75 wide rim. I have 11.2" rims. Somebody made a boo boo somewhere. I phoned the dealership, and they are ordering me a new set of tires. I will be very curious to see what the new rim size is. The dealer told me that tires and wheels are shipped together, so they are correct, but I have my doubts. Should know by Friday or Monday. BTW, left tire 3 times, right tire 1 time.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I am about to light a fire under my poor little tractor, and pretend I never owned her. I bought my BX2320 new in the spring, and had three rear tires blow a bead in the first 20 hours. The dealer fixed them all, and I thought maybe the problem had gone away, as I got through the entire summer without a problem. Then yesterday after a 15 deg temperature drop, I moved her into the garage to protect her from the snow, a 30 foot trek, and another bead broke. Everyone I've talked to says that this is very unusual, and I have to agree. Anyone heard of this, or have a idea what it might be. Thanks.

Industrial tires, with tubes, loaded.
I would think that is a huge problem and a PITA !!!! I knew that the BX series had a problem with the front tires loosing air.....

something is wrong with your tire/rim/psi ......

I would ask the dealer to REPLACE any rim and tire as a whole unit and then see if it still has the problems....

If he says they cannot do that.....have him replace tubes in them - and then reballast the tires for free, since it is frustrating the hell out of you......

I am at a loss - how the hell does a tubed tire loose the bead???? UNless there is a hole in the tire(s) and the cold is making the tire pull back from the rim. Let us know what you find as the solution!

Pypes

Equipment
BX2320
Nov 19, 2014
Marmora, On.
Sometimes I wonder.... So, my apologies, its a B2320, not the BX; and the rim size is actually right. I found the little etched size on the inside of the rim(9.75x16). I called the dealer, and apologized to them, but they are going to replace the tires and rims with a new set anyway. The salesman agreed that just the liquid in the tube, in the rim should be enough to ensure the bead doesn't break, but the problem exists nonetheless. I would really like to understand why this is happening, but no one really seems to have an explanation, all I hear is, "that sounds strange, or that shouldn't happen." Drives me coo-coo. Apparently they are going to put 40 psi in the new tires, put them on a tractor and burn them in, not sure what that means, but I hope it works.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Sometimes I wonder.... So, my apologies, its a B2320, not the BX; and the rim size is actually right. I found the little etched size on the inside of the rim(9.75x16). I called the dealer, and apologized to them, but they are going to replace the tires and rims with a new set anyway. The salesman agreed that just the liquid in the tube, in the rim should be enough to ensure the bead doesn't break, but the problem exists nonetheless. I would really like to understand why this is happening, but no one really seems to have an explanation, all I hear is, "that sounds strange, or that shouldn't happen." Drives me coo-coo. Apparently they are going to put 40 psi in the new tires, put them on a tractor and burn them in, not sure what that means, but I hope it works.

great dealer ! let us know what happens! 40 psi is gonna knock your teeth out !!!! I pumped my tires up to the max specs on the tires........hard bounces - hurt. Backed off about 10% - much better

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Apparently they are going to put 40 psi in the new tires.
Doing that would be the stupidest thing anyone could do!

Depending on the ply rating, they are either 20PSI max or 30PSI max rated tires, putting more pounds than max can cause severe damage to the belts in the tire, and could even blow the tire! ;)

Pypes

Equipment
BX2320
Nov 19, 2014
Marmora, On.
They are an 8 ply tire, and the max psi for them is 50. They are made for skid steers. I have heard that the Carlisle tires aren't all that great, but other than the fact that I can't seem to keep them on the rims, they are pretty good. The tractor came with turf tires, but they gave me the option of having industrials, which makes sense for me.

Still wouldn't mind if someone would chime in about popping the bead on the rim, like maybe what would cause it. Low inflation I get, but if the tires have tubes that are loaded, then I wouldn't think that it would be possible, even when being driven.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Just a thought.
The bead profile of the skid steers tires could have a different profile than the Kubots wheel therefor they never properly seat.

Pypes

Equipment
BX2320
Nov 19, 2014
Marmora, On.
Well, my little tractor has a new set of boots. I asked the salesman when the statute of limitations ran out on this, and he laughed and said that it was it was because of a pre-existing condition. I'm easy, new tires, new rims, new tubes. Loaded with some new petroleum based product instead of calcium, and set at 35 psi. As soon as we took off the tires we realized the problem. The liquid in them had frozen. Apparently a mistake by the guy who put them together. That explains the flat, but even still, the bead should probably not have let go. Doesn't matter now, since this seemed to be such an odd situation, I am sure these new tires and rims will be fine, even if it was a big pita. Thanks to everyone who chimed in.