BX23 Transmission fluid

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
Recently picked up a used BX23 and this weekend in doing some maintenance checks I noticed that the transmission oil is off the dipstick. Normally I'm not one to buy manufacturer branded oil, but this is my first experience with an HST so I figured I'd play it safe and stop at a dealer to pick up the recommended fluid.

Just out of curiosity though, is there an accepted alternative that is common for use in these tractors?

Also need to add a little oil to the front transaxle, but for that one I'm a little more comfortable buying simple gear oil in the recommended weight.

Thanks

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Seen a lot of oils that say that they are "compatible" with UDT....one of them also said not for use with wet clutches and wet brakes. Red flag, since the BX's use hydraulic pto clutches and wet brakes.

What I've seen on this site is that a lot of folks say that using Super UDT really quiets the HST down. I know it does on the RTV's, and makes a HUGE difference in HST performance on the RTV500's, especially when cold.

I would suggest using Super UDT ;)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Ditto what Lug said -- if you dont want to use the S-udt2....then get kubota udt or the s udt.;)
front axle - both a fine there too - some prefer the 80w90......but that stuff is like molasses flowing up hill on a winter day.....ok - perhaps not that thick......but go out on a 10F day and grab you container of 80w90 and turn it upside down......it pours, rather it moves like molasses!:D:)

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
What he said,,, if it is off the dip stick you may want to change the filter and check the screen too,, and I am assuming this is a used tractor so you really dont know what the last guy did or didnt do to it,,, so it aint cheap but do your self a favor drain it new filter and pull the screen and refil with the Super UDT. Last 5 gallon bucket I got at the stealer was Im thinking around 85 bucks, and for my money its money well spent. When you think about what it costs to fix these critters oil is cheap,,, and please do the motor oil too,, good oil and filter

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
What he said,,, if it is off the dip stick you may want to change the filter and check the screen too,, and I am assuming this is a used tractor so you really dont know what the last guy did or didnt do to it,,, so it aint cheap but do your self a favor drain it new filter and pull the screen and refil with the Super UDT. Last 5 gallon bucket I got at the stealer was Im thinking around 85 bucks, and for my money its money well spent. When you think about what it costs to fix these critters oil is cheap,,, and please do the motor oil too,, good oil and filter
Yep, used. However I do know the HST oil was replaced last year. The guy told me he did, and I also stopped at the dealer he was using for maintenance and got copies of the service records. He really only had it in there one time in two years. But it looks like he had just about everything done, and it cost him $500.

Looks like he had the hazard and turning lights switches replaced, the seat safety switch, air filter, hydraulic filter, transmission oil, engine oil, transaxle oil, fuel filters, and oil filter. There's also one other item on the service order that I can't make out (handwritten).

The transmission oil dipstick is incredibly short, so unless it takes a lot to get it back on the dipstick I'm not going to worry about that too much. There's some very minor oil leaking from around the control box for the backhoe, could account for the transmission oil being low. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from yet.

I did get fuel and engine oil filters at the dealer last week. I was going to change the oil this weekend but held off. I'll use the tractor some on the weekends now through December, but then it's mostly just going to sit until sometime in March or April. So I'm not entirely sure yet if I should change the oil now or just wait. What do you guys think? Looks like it has about 80 hours on it since the last service.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
If it's going to sit, and the current fluids are in good shape, just do it next season. Reason being that if any moisture were to build inside the system from sitting, it'd be a shame to have to drain all that brand new oil out next season.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
If it's going to sit, and the current fluids are in good shape, just do it next season. Reason being that if any moisture were to build inside the system from sitting, it'd be a shame to have to drain all that brand new oil out next season.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm thinking.