BX2230 front axle bracket shim?

mach1

Equipment
BX2230 FEL, MMM, rake
May 24, 2016
South Jersey
Hey guys, first time post. I've had my BX for 2 seasons now and I think it has about 350 hrs on it. I notice a banging noise coming from the front axle as it is driven. It's worse with a loaded FEL but seems to have progressed to the point where it does it all the time. I've re-torqued the pivot bolt to max spec but it didn't help much. The problem is that there is play between the axle cylinder ends and the mounting bracket. You can actually see the front axle cases moving side to side from the drivers seat when going straight over the ground The cyl bracket ends don't look bent or anything. Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone had to shim the cylinder ends or maybe have a different fix?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You are saying 2 differnt things.

Is the axle shifting side to side or is it just steering side to side, via a loose steering cylinder?

If the axle is shiffting side to side then the bolt ot the bushings are worn and will nedd to be replaced.

If the steering cylinder is loose in the brackets, remove the snap rings, move the cylinder over the other way and bent the bracket in slightly, if you over do it slightly to both sides and loosen the bolts holding the brackets reinsert the snap rings you can retighten the bolts putting a little tension on the snap rings preventing the cylinder from just floating around. ;)

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
lift the front end and push/pull both wheels together and back out. Sounds like you are describing typical tie rod end wear.

mach1

Equipment
BX2230 FEL, MMM, rake
May 24, 2016
South Jersey
Wolfman,
Thanks for the quick reply. I shouldn't have mentioned axle. It's the steering cylinder floating in the bracket. I like your suggestion and I'll give it a try.
Thanks again!

mach1

Equipment
BX2230 FEL, MMM, rake
May 24, 2016
South Jersey
Thanks Dirtydeed. The Tie rods are fine. I'm gonna address the bracket issue as Wolfman suggested.

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
I had the same issue...I replaced both brackets on my BX25D...and the snap rings and bolts...and used threadlocker.

Issue was caused by overloading the front end. Neighbor was using the tractor and hauling gravel without the backhoe on for counter ballast.

I want to have a machine shop cut me some thick enough to bolt some angle iron between the brackets...it would protect the cylinder and add support to the brackets.

But it's been about 400-500 hrs since the issue and replacement and no problems since.

-Mac

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

mach1

Equipment
BX2230 FEL, MMM, rake
May 24, 2016
South Jersey
Mac,
I like the angle iron idea. I'll have a good look at the brackets when they're off maybe replace as well.

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
Had the same issue on a MF there basically the same set up. I did what was mentioned above, bending them in a bit. I also went a bit further. I ordered another set and doubled each side up.Of course I had to buy longer bolts. It never came loose again.:)