BX2200D Not Starting [Please Help]

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
yes, that’s what I meant by “tried key in each position.” I held the key in the start position for 10-15 seconds. Here’s my results…

ACC/Preheat - No fuel
Run - No fuel
Start - No fuel
Your only going to get fuel at the injectors when it cranks, and only if the stop solenoid is not engaged and the manual stop is not engaged:
1681940962984.png

Reactions: 2 users

Sir_Angus

Equipment
BX2200
Apr 25, 2022
Kentucky
Your only going to get fuel at the injectors when it cranks, and only if the stop solenoid is not engaged and the manual stop is not engaged:
What I'm calling "start position" for the key is when the starter engages and cranks the engine. I've already verified my stop solenoid functions properly. I've made no adjustments to the part highlighted. It is as it was when the tractor ran. I have tried adjusting the manual throttle lever while cranking with no change.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If all condition have been met and your getting no fuel out of the injection pump then the injection pump is the issue.

Reactions: 1 user

Sir_Angus

Equipment
BX2200
Apr 25, 2022
Kentucky
Is the injection pump serviceable? Or is it only replaceable? (nevermind)

I just checked Ebay and found rebuild kits. So, I guess the question is... Has anyone rebuilt one? Is it something a "hobbyist" can do or better left to a pro?

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
One other thing to check before you go to the injection pump…it could be that the lines are clogged up.

So I would remove the lines between the injection pump and the injectors and then crank the engine and see if the injection pump is ejecting fuel out those ports. Now I warn you that the larger “nut” on top of the pump can rotate and mess up the pump so you MUST hold it in place with a wrench and then loosen the small nut that is on the injector lines.

I imagine that it really is the injection pump but this would be the last effort and if fuel did come out then you could clean or replace the lines.

If you have to repair the injection pump it is not something that can be done by the casual home mechanic. You will need to have it professionally repaired. There may be local diesel repair shops around or you can send it off to a shop like this

You may be able to get a rebuilt one if you care to go that route.

There are (probably) shims between the engine and the pump face that sets the timing of the pump to the engine. Be sure to remove them and keep track of them since they must be installed with the pump (even a different pump).

I would also recommend replacing or repairing the injectors at the same time since they may be damaged or clogged.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I second oregonfuelinjection that's who I use.
And yes do the injectors too.

And can't stress enough to remove the Injection pump and remove all shims from the bottom of the pump, they are very thing and easily missed.
Put a zip tie through them and zip tie them to the engine, there is never a set amount or size of shims.

Reactions: 2 users

Sir_Angus

Equipment
BX2200
Apr 25, 2022
Kentucky
Thanks for the help diagnosing my tractor issue. I truly appreciate it.

I plan to remove the pump tomorrow, but will check the hard lines for blockages.

As for the injectors, I don’t want to spend the exorbitant OEM price, but it’s difficult to filter quality from junk aftermarket ones. Any suggestions?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks for the help diagnosing my tractor issue. I truly appreciate it.

I plan to remove the pump tomorrow, but will check the hard lines for blockages.

As for the injectors, I don’t want to spend the exorbitant OEM price, but it’s difficult to filter quality from junk aftermarket ones. Any suggestions?
Send your injectors with the injection pump and have them rebuilt too.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Send your injectors with the injection pump and have them rebuilt too.
A bit of thread drift about to start…

@North Idaho Wolfman what happens on the newer tractors that have to have the serial numbers input into the ECU to (I assume) know the performance of the particular injector if that injector is rebuilt?

The ECU would recognize that the injector is correct but it could have different performance characteristics. But is that anything that would effect the performance of the engine or is it close enough?

Not saying it has anything to do with this particular tractor but just curious how it could effect performance of the engine.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
A bit of thread drift about to start…

@North Idaho Wolfman what happens on the newer tractors that have to have the serial numbers input into the ECU to (I assume) know the performance of the particular injector if that injector is rebuilt?

The ECU would recognize that the injector is correct but it could have different performance characteristics. But is that anything that would effect the performance of the engine or is it close enough?

Not saying it has anything to do with this particular tractor but just curious how it could effect performance of the engine.
I don't know if the common rail injectors can be rebuilt???
I've never looked into that, all the ones I've dealt with are just new injectors.
But if rebuilt or replaced the numbers on the injectors would change, so you would need to have the ECM /ECU reprogramed!

Note to Sir_Angus: You don't need to worry about any of the above, you injectors are not calibrated that way and you have no ECM/ ECU.

Sir_Angus

Sir_Angus

Equipment
BX2200
Apr 25, 2022
Kentucky
UPDATE #4

I called oregonfuelinjection but they quoted new part prices to rebuild my pump and injectors. ($700+ for pump and $100/ea injector)

I found this guy out of WV hickoryridge61 that did a good job with fast turn around.

I've got almost everything put back together, and will post the results soon.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Update #5

Rebuilt injection pump, injectors, cleaned hard fuel lines, and new rubber fuel lines.

Everything installed and torqued to WSM specs.

No change.

Short video of attempt to start
Disappointed that you haven’t gotten success yet.

Have you bled it completely? Are you getting fuel at the injector now?

Please give us a more complete update on what you have done after installing the new pump so that the suggestions have a logical starting point.

Sir_Angus

Equipment
BX2200
Apr 25, 2022
Kentucky
I just checked everything again.

I disconnected the fuel return line. When the key is turned to ACC the fuel pump runs and fuel comes out of the injection pump return line outlet.

Return line reconnected. Removed stop solenoid. Verified it functions correctly. Re-installed.

Removed retaining nut on hard line at the injectors. Turned key to Start for 30 seconds. No fuel.

Removed hard lines completely, then turned key to Start for 30 seconds. No fuel.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Okay that is strange

I would do one more test just to see what happens

take the return line off and go to start position with the key.

I don’t know what to do really but that will confirm if any fuel is moving wi the key in the start position.

I would start trying to figure out what it takes for the fuel to be delivered to the injection pump when the key is in the on or start position.

Your tractor is NOT a high pressure rail system correct? The injection pump is mechanical correct? So I guess you can bypass the fuel system and use a bottle feed system and see if it will start.

I assume you are 100% positive that the rack on the injection pump is correctly installed on the engine but you may wa to conf that it is moving properly if you can. I think there may be a cover on the injection pump that you can remove and see if it is working properly.

Probably by now you just want to push it off of a cliff, but you seem very calm about the situation.

I reread your first post and recall that this happened after you changed your electrical system extensively. I think this is probably an electrical problem because you have eliminated the mechanical possibilities.

Sir_Angus

Equipment
BX2200
Apr 25, 2022
Kentucky
Your tractor is NOT a high pressure rail system correct? The injection pump is mechanical correct?
Correct. It is low pressure from tank to injection pump.
Also, correct. The pump and injectors are mechanical.

I reread your first post and recall that this happened after you changed your electrical system extensively. I think this is probably an electrical problem because you have eliminated the mechanical possibilities.
I highly doubt it's an electrical issue now because there's only 3 electrical things that need to work: (1) Fuel pump (2) Starter (3) Glow plugs. If you watch this video you can see and hear all 3 working.

It's got to be the pump (right?), but what are the chances of 2 bad pumps? And the second one was bench tested before I got it, and I retained the shim under the pump.

Probably by now you just want to push it off of a cliff, but you seem very calm about the situation.
Thanks, when I start getting frustrated I walk away, thus taking more than a year to reach this point. haha Also, I don't have neighbors to complain about my grass.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I highly doubt it's an electrical issue now because there's only 3 electrical things that need to work: (1) Fuel pump (2) Starter (3) Glow plugs. If you watch this video you can see and hear all 3 working.
The fuel shut-off solenoid has to be powered to retract the plunger so the injection pump can receive fuel into the pumping chambers.
A quick test is to remove the shut-off solenoid, crank the engine over and see if the pump will deliver fuel to the injectors. That will tell if it is electrical or mechanical.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I just checked everything again.

I disconnected the fuel return line. When the key is turned to ACC the fuel pump runs and fuel comes out of the injection pump return line outlet.

Return line reconnected. Removed stop solenoid. Verified it functions correctly. Re-installed.

Removed retaining nut on hard line at the injectors. Turned key to Start for 30 seconds. No fuel.

Removed hard lines completely, then turned key to Start for 30 seconds. No fuel.
So with the stop solenoid out, and the fuel lines off and the engine cranking your getting no fuel out of the injection pump?

Sir_Angus

Equipment
BX2200
Apr 25, 2022
Kentucky
The fuel shut-off solenoid has to be powered to retract the plunger so the injection pump can receive fuel into the pumping chambers.
A quick test is to remove the shut-off solenoid, crank the engine over and see if the pump will deliver fuel to the injectors. That will tell if it is electrical or mechanical.