BX2200 Transmission Issues . . . HELP I've fallen and I cant get up!

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Last summer I topped off my front axle, and when the sun was beating down on the machine, I noticed a drip. Apparently, the oil was expanding and pushing out as a result. When I removed the dip stick I got a gush of oil. I use the Kubota Super UDT oil in my hydraulics and the front axle. Personally, I believe that the thinner oil is better, based on the fact that is what the tractor was delivered with from the assembly plant.
Like you JM, I use SUDT in the front axle. BUT if I would start to see leakage, I would probably change it to the thicker 80W90 gear oil (I think that is the designation) to delay having to replace seals for a while.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Dumb question: Do you need to replace seals on the on the axle center pivot bolt? I was watching some You Tube video of somebody that was replacing all the seals on the axle and there were some up there. I did not think that the pivot bolt would be in the oil.
The pivot bolt goes through the front axle housing and is lubed by the fluid in the axle. There are o-rings with backup rings on the inside of the bushings to seal the pin.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Last summer I topped off my front axle, and when the sun was beating down on the machine, I noticed a drip. Apparently, the oil was expanding and pushing out as a result. When I removed the dip stick I got a gush of oil. I use the Kubota Super UDT oil in my hydraulics and the front axle. Personally, I believe that the thinner oil is better, based on the fact that is what the tractor was delivered with from the assembly plant.
The front axles are filled with SUDT2 at the assembly plant because it is unknown if the unit will be shipped to the Equator or the North Pole. The manual states you can use either SUDT or 80/90.
80/90 is the most popular choice.
SVLs and excavators use only 90w in their finals due to the shear factor of the oil under a heavy load.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
I am no expert but that seems to me that you might have an air pocket in one of the wheel gear boxes. the oil should not expand that much with temperature but the air will and push the oil up. I would check the breather plugs for proper oil level, just in case.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I am no expert but that seems to me that you might have an air pocket in one of the wheel gear boxes. the oil should not expand that much with temperature but the air will and push the oil up. I would check the breather plugs for proper oil level, just in case.
There are no breathers on a BX series front axle. It is very common to remove the dipstick with the axle hot and get a gush of air and/or oil. It is not just BXs either, happens on the Bs, Ls, & Ms without vented axles. Also SVLs, and excavator final drive units.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
There are no breathers on a BX series front axle. It is very common to remove the dipstick with the axle hot and get a gush of air and/or oil. It is not just BXs either, happens on the Bs, Ls, & Ms without vented axles. Also SVLs, and excavator final drive units.
Well, they are not vented and might be more more like "top off" holes when servicing but the manual calls them breather plugs, here is the BX2200 manual:

Attachments

BillyBX

Equipment
BX2200
Nov 27, 2020
Mt. Airy Maryland
Update: The front axle "Pivot Bolt"goes through the top part of the axle tube housing and is open to oil from the axle case. This is why it has bushings and 2 oil seals!
I realized this when I power washed the axle assembly and left it in the back of my truck . . . . because about an hour later I stepped into the garage and noticed the all too familiar smell of burnt gear oil. Looking in the truck bed, gear oil had been running out of the axle pivot opening BECAUSE I did not leave the "Pivot Bolt" in place.
Like I had mentioned in an earlier post, there was still oil in the axle assembly but was low enough not to reach the pinion bearings as they are located at the highest point.
So lesson learned . . . . just don't check for oil but make sure it's topped off. I never found any leaks, but I hadn't checked the front differential fluid in 10+years. My bad.
I figure since it's all apart then change all oil seals and bearings which includes the 2 oil seals in the "Axle Pivot".
I'm waiting on parts and will report back how the assembly process goes!

Billy

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Update: The front axle "Pivot Bolt"goes through the top part of the axle tube housing and is open to oil from the axle case. This is why it has bushings and 2 oil seals!
I realized this when I power washed the axle assembly and left it in the back of my truck . . . . because about an hour later I stepped into the garage and noticed the all too familiar smell of burnt gear oil. Looking in the truck bed, gear oil had been running out of the axle pivot opening BECAUSE I did not leave the "Pivot Bolt" in place.
Like I had mentioned in an earlier post, there was still oil in the axle assembly but was low enough not to reach the pinion bearings as they are located at the highest point.
So lesson learned . . . . just don't check for oil but make sure it's topped off. I never found any leaks, but I hadn't checked the front differential fluid in 10+years. My bad.
I figure since it's all apart then change all oil seals and bearings which includes the 2 oil seals in the "Axle Pivot".
I'm waiting on parts and will report back how the assembly process goes!

Billy
Since the pivot bolt does go through the axle that may be where you were losing fluid. The pivot bolt gets loose through wear and tear and needs to be torqued down periodically. My guess is that if it is not torqued periodically that oil can get by the seals. I know that I have to check the torque on my pivot bolt at least once a year because I am operating on very uneven ground and that pivot bolt gets a real workout.

BillyBX

Equipment
BX2200
Nov 27, 2020
Mt. Airy Maryland
Armylifer: Thanks for your thoughts : ) Yes the "Pivot Bolt" gets quite the workout and admittedly I've never checked the torque on it.
When I removed the "Pivot Bolt" there was no oil residue whats so ever on or around either end of the bolt or the flange opening. I have some hydraulic fluid residue around the loader lines but very confident there's no leak from the "Pivot Bolt" area.
When I removed it . . . . it is very snug with no play in it at all. Inspecting the bolt itself, there is no scarring or grooves at all. Seems like in very good shape so I will reuse it.
The pivot seals seem fine also but as I wrote earlier, not gonna chance it and will replace them!
Who knows where the fluid disappeared to!

Billy

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Armylifer: Thanks for your thoughts : ) Yes the "Pivot Bolt" gets quite the workout and admittedly I've never checked the torque on it.
When I removed the "Pivot Bolt" there was no oil residue whats so ever on or around either end of the bolt or the flange opening. I have some hydraulic fluid residue around the loader lines but very confident there's no leak from the "Pivot Bolt" area.
When I removed it . . . . it is very snug with no play in it at all. Inspecting the bolt itself, there is no scarring or grooves at all. Seems like in very good shape so I will reuse it.
The pivot seals seem fine also but as I wrote earlier, not gonna chance it and will replace them!

Billy
I think that you got lucky on that score. I have seen a mysterious drop of oil on my garage floor after I did my last oil change. I do not know where it came from but since it appeared after my oil change, I must assume that it is residue from spilled oil or maybe the oil filter was not tight enough. In any case it was just the one drop and nothing new in the past week.

Anyway, your posts probably got a lot of people checking their axle fluid and other lube points. I know that it got me thinking about my axle fluid more than I usually do.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

Billy
Well, ANOTHER thing to check at my end! I am guilty of never checking my BX front axle pivot bolt in 17 year! Shame on me, I know... Will check when the weather warms up in the spring. Do not use the BX much if at all in the winter. Better check my B2910 at the same time...

BillyBX

Equipment
BX2200
Nov 27, 2020
Mt. Airy Maryland
Yes please take a moment and check the front axle fluid level. Total time . . . . maybe 1-2 mins but could save you $$$ and frustrations : o I wouldn't go specifically looking at the front axle "Pivot Bolt" for wear unless you get under and see oil residue coming from around the bolt head or flange. It's a pretty uniques design that keeps eveything in the entire front drive train lubed! . . . . UNLESS! you forget to check the oli level a couple times a year!

Billy

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Well, they are not vented and might be more more like "top off" holes when servicing but the manual calls them breather plugs, here is the BX2200 manual:
They only "breath" when the plug is out. They plug the breathers like a drain plug plugs the drain hole.
When the breather plugs are installed, the axle has no way to expel the pressure created by the expansion of heated fluid and air. When you remove the dipstick or a check plug, it is very common to get a rush of air or fluid.

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
I have a BX23 (not the new one) and have installed a DIY breather. Remove one of the fill plugs. Find a piece of plastic or vinyl tubing that will fit into the plug head, and a screw that will thread into the tubing. Then drill an appropriate sized hole into the side of the plug to the middle where it should meet a hole that you have drilled in the shank. Insert the tubing into the side of the plug, thread the screw into the tubing, and you have a very slow acting pressure equalizer when you put the filler plug back into the axle. Pressure will slowly bleed in or out between the threads of the screw, so don't make the screw a really tight fit in the tube, or it won't bleed.
Untitled.jpg
IMG_20201209_094959250.jpg

Last edited:

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
The M5660 has a shiny zinc plated dipstick for the front axle lube level. The bright finish makes it impossible to accurately determine the oil level.

I made a new dipstick out of a 3/8" allen wrench. I transferred the marks over to the allen wrench with a combination square and then installed a 7/16" shaft collar at the depth where the dipstick shoulders out on the axle. The matte black oxide finish on the allen wrench makes checking the oil level MUCH easier. I stashed the new dipstick in the tractor toolbox for easy use.

Thank you for the awareness reality check.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I have a BX23 (not the new one) and have installed a DIY breather. Remove one of the fill plugs. Find a piece of plastic or vinyl tubing that will fit into the plug head, and a screw that will thread into the tubing. Then drill an appropriate sized hole into the side of the plug to the middle where it should meet a hole that you have drilled in the shank. Insert the tubing into the side of the plug, thread the screw into the tubing, and you have a very slow acting pressure equalizer when you put the filler plug back into the axle. Pressure will slowly bleed in or out between the threads of the screw, so don't make the screw a really tight fit in the tube, or it won't bleed. View attachment 51771 View attachment 51773
You are just asking for water to form in the axle. Also, if you drive through any standing water the rapid cooling will create a vacuum and suck water in the axle tube. This is likely to happen even if you are just driving when it is raining.

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
I don't plan to drive in water, so it's not a problem in this particular case. Also, don't have a cab so not much time is spent in the rain. This breather has been there for 5 years and I have yet to see any water at the drains.

BillyBX

Equipment
BX2200
Nov 27, 2020
Mt. Airy Maryland
Update: Before starting to reinstall the front differential assembly I decided to change the engine oil and filter since everything was apart with easy access. Everything went good EXCEPT I find a little puddle of hydraulic fluid on the floor not far from where the oil filter is located. I trace the fluid source to the coupling connections for the bucket/joystick. I'm like WHAT THE HECK NOW??
So I've attached a pic for everyone to look at . . . Do any of you have any experience with these quick disconnect fittings leaking?? I know there's a little O ring inside the male connection . . . at least that's what I see on my air hose quick disconnect fittings, but honestly, I haven't removed the bucket since I bought the tractor new in 2003 and I'm not familiar with testing, repairing etc.
Any suggestions would be great!!! BTW I'm hoping to get this BX fully functional before the snow starts soon!! Thanks for all the support and advice : )

Best,
Billy

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Update: Before starting to reinstall the front differential assembly I decided to change the engine oil and filter since everything was apart with easy access. Everything went good EXCEPT I find a little puddle of hydraulic fluid on the floor not far from where the oil filter is located. I trace the fluid source to the coupling connections for the bucket/joystick. I'm like WHAT THE HECK NOW??
So I've attached a pic for everyone to look at . . . Do any of you have any experience with these quick disconnect fittings leaking?? I know there's a little O ring inside the male connection . . . at least that's what I see on my air hose quick disconnect fittings, but honestly, I haven't removed the bucket since I bought the tractor new in 2003 and I'm not familiar with testing, repairing etc.
Any suggestions would be great!!! BTW I'm hoping to get this BX fully functional before the snow starts soon!! Thanks for all the support and advice : )

Best,
Billy
There is an o-ring in the female coupler, which probably has gotten hard or flat so it is not sealing anymore. Kubota does not sell just the o-ring but most o-ring assortment packages have this size in them. Just pop the o-ring out, match it and reinstall the new one.