BX2200 Transmission Issues . . . HELP I've fallen and I cant get up!

BillyBX

Equipment
BX2200
Nov 27, 2020
Mt. Airy Maryland
So I'm mowing today as usual with my BX2200 and all is fine. While on a straightaway in 2wd the tractor suddenly felt like it was straining and slowing down . . . like the brake pedal was being depressed.
Stopping immediately I checked the brake pedal and it was not on.
Checked 4wd lever and it was not engaged.
Turned off the PTO to mower deck and raised it.
Re-engaged trans to low (Turtle) and crept forward about 1 ft before it abruptly stopped . . . so tried reversing and it did the same thing for about 1 ft.
Looked underneath and no fluid leakage, also front drive shaft and joint were in place.
Checked fluid dipstick at rear and it's full.
It seems as if the tractor wants to go forward and reverse at the same time and can't
One more observation: The back wheels are spinning somewhat (tearing up the grass) and the front seem to be binding . . . . ..
Now my "Orange Baby" is spending the cold night out in the field.

Tomorrow I will remove the front drive shaft and u joint and see if I can drive it into the garage for a closer inspection.
Anyone with knowledge on what this could be??? Maybe a internal hydro valve for forward & reverse?
Best,
Billy

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Billy - sorry to hear about your dilemma, But I think you are on the right track - seems like the front end is "locked" up - or if you are lucky, maybe the shaft has a problem. I would also check the linkage - hopefully there is something there easy to fix.

Let us know what you find.

BillyBX

Equipment
BX2200
Nov 27, 2020
Mt. Airy Maryland
Thanks for the reply 85Hokie. I'm mechanically inclined as I worked on restoring and racing cars years ago, however this tractor stuff is a whole new ball of wax! Somebody must have had something similar to this happen. Anyway yes I will keep you posted with whatever I come up with. Billy

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
If you haven't already (have the workshop manual) press your life alert button and download the wsm to help you find the problem BY CLICKING HERE

BillyBX

Equipment
BX2200
Nov 27, 2020
Mt. Airy Maryland
Hello wgator and thanks for the link to the Workshop Manual.
I've glimpsed it over and its just what I'll need in working and disassembling! I'll look it over more thorough tomorrow but I'm wondering if there's a "trouble shooting" section anywhere in the manual or any other source you might know about??

Billy

BillyBX

Equipment
BX2200
Nov 27, 2020
Mt. Airy Maryland
THE MYSTERY Continues!!
Today I raised the front end with both wheels off the ground. They spin freely one forward as the other goes backwards. This tells me the front differential is working fine as there are no sticking points or noises that might indicate broken gear cogs etc. So with the front end still raised on a floor jack I slowly drove forward and no issues! Except the wheels are off the ground so I can't steer! Lowered the front end and tried moving forward and NO DEAL!
Back wheels spinning but the front wheels just sliding some.
Next I tried towing the tractor with my truck . . . . the tractor was in neutral with engine running. NO DEAL!
My wife said the front wheels were not rolling but sliding and back wheels were moving. I only went 2 - 3 feet as I'm tearing up the lawn. I am puzzled . . . and am putting out the challenge to all to solve this riddle . . . . which could be a costly one!
Thoughts????

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Today I raised the front end with both wheels off the ground. They spin freely one forward as the other goes backwards.
this just tells you the spider gears in the differential are ok, doesn’t rule out the ring gear or pinion.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Ah true! I've been reading about checking the foot pedal linkage . . . . like something falls off or gets loose!
The fluid level is probably low in the front axle and the pinion bearings are seized.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I think there is a trouble shooting guide in the back of each section of the manual

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Could he confirm this by lifting the front wheels off the ground and trying to turn the front driveshaft while in 2WD?
Yes, that would confirm it. You should be able to turn the pinion shaft with the unit in 2 wheel drive and one front wheel off of the ground.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
THE MYSTERY Continues!!
Today I raised the front end with both wheels off the ground. They spin freely one forward as the other goes backwards. This tells me the front differential is working fine as there are no sticking points or noises that might indicate broken gear cogs etc. So with the front end still raised on a floor jack I slowly drove forward and no issues! Except the wheels are off the ground so I can't steer! Lowered the front end and tried moving forward and NO DEAL!
Back wheels spinning but the front wheels just sliding some.
Next I tried towing the tractor with my truck . . . . the tractor was in neutral with engine running. NO DEAL!
My wife said the front wheels were not rolling but sliding and back wheels were moving. I only went 2 - 3 feet as I'm tearing up the lawn. I am puzzled . . . and am putting out the challenge to all to solve this riddle . . . . which could be a costly one!
Thoughts????
You could take the tie rod end loose from the knuckle, remove 4 bolts holding the 90-degree housing to the axle tube, remove the knuckle assembly, remove the splined shaft, put the knuckle and tie rod back on. With the shaft out, you will then be able to drive the unit out of the yard. Otherwise, you will need to move it with at least one front tire in the air.

You may want to put a drain pan under the axle to catch any oil that may run out when you remove the knuckle.

shelkol

Equipment
bx-2200, Woods BH6000 backhoe, Tach-N-Go quick attach bucket, snow blower
Nov 12, 2015
Westford, Massachusetts
shelkol.com
Did you remove the front driveshaft? That would tell you if it was in the transaxle or in the front differential

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
You could take the tie rod end loose from the knuckle, remove 4 bolts holding the 90-degree housing to the axle tube, remove the knuckle assembly, remove the splined shaft, put the knuckle and tie rod back on. With the shaft out, you will then be able to drive the unit out of the yard. Otherwise, you will need to move it with at least one front tire in the air.

You may want to put a drain pan under the axle to catch any oil that may run out when you remove the knuckle.
In a worst case situation, I remember reading that you can block one side of the front axle, then remove a wheel on the side you have blocked up, and drive on three wheels rather than four.

Since the OP has verified the wheels turn when lifted off the ground, perhaps this would be a solution so he could easily get the tractor under cover to make the repairs...

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
Did you remove the front driveshaft? That would tell you if it was in the transaxle or in the front differential
I would try as a last ditch effort to try the engage/disengage the 4wd while moving a bit back and forth. After that, like he said, disconnect the driveshaft and see if the transmission end can be rotated by hand.
And hope that it does, so it is isolated to the the front axle.
Mine did a weird thing and it was not a year old. I was checking the front axle oil level religiously prior to each use and it was always OK, however the dipstick was hard to remove because the O ring was always dry. One day there was no oil to be measured and no signs of leaks anywhere. I added gear oil I got from the dealer and it took at least a quart after opening up both breather plugs on top of each wheel drive box. Apparently, an air pocket was left in when it was originally improperly serviced.

BillyBX

Equipment
BX2200
Nov 27, 2020
Mt. Airy Maryland
UPDATE: Hi and good evening to all of you. First, thank you all for you advise/comments. It's much appreciated.
Unfortunately we had company over today so the Ms. told me the tractor was not top priority!
So my Baby Orange will spend another dark lonely night outside.
Tomorrow I will raise and hook the lift bucket (LA211) onto the bed of my pickup truck and raise the front wheels off the ground.
With one person driving the truck, I will ride along on the tractor till we reach the pavement at which time I will lower the front wheels back down and use my floor jack to roll it into the garage.
Once situated I will raise the tractor and remove the front driveshaft, then lower the tractor and see if it will drive forward or reverse.
* IF it still doesn't move forward or reverse then I'm pretty sure that something is seized in the front drive assembly.
* IF it does move forward or backwards then it's time to check the linkage and then the hydro.

Now I'm sure some of you tractor pros got some other ways to diagnose these issues and I'm all ears! and eyes on this forum!
Okay, you guys turn! Thanks Billy

BillyBX

Equipment
BX2200
Nov 27, 2020
Mt. Airy Maryland
UPDATE 11-29-2020: The tractor is finally in the garage late this afternoon. This was done as I described in my post yesterday at 10:03 pm. Also haven't removed the front driveshaft yet.
So before tucking it in for the night, I decided to check the front axle assembly fluid level. TOASTED!! Not a drop in there! There's no sign of a leak anywhere . . . . . . so I don't know how it got so low or empty . . . . .
Hmmm I wonder if this might be the cause of the front differential seizing up?? OF COURSE IT IS!
I'll have to admit that I've treated the front axle fluid levels like a basic car differential. Never bothering to check it for years! Maybe 8 - 10 years . . . . . . So this is my own doing and will cost $$
Now I'm ready for criticism and "how could you?" but must move on to asking for advise/help on finding tear down procedures and instructions. I am ready to take on this task.
HELP!! Thanks Billy

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
Maybe you had the same issue I had which luckily for me, it manifested itself early. I think that during the initial servicing of the front axle, the breather plugs were not removed causing an air pocket and improper eventual oil level. It might look OK initially but when the air bleeds out, the highest part of the axle the differential then runs dry.

BillyBX

Equipment
BX2200
Nov 27, 2020
Mt. Airy Maryland
xrocketengineer Yes it could be and I will definitely take note when re-filling the front assembly!! . . . . . . but realistically I believe it was my own lack of maintenance and inspections that's brought me this problem. I mean 10+ yrs of not even checking the fluid level?? My bad and now $$$ + time.
I've been studying the shop/service manual and it'll be a challenge disassembling the entire front axle and differential, changing out all the seals, then putting all back together and realigning everything. I have the tools and the space. Do I wanna do it. NO! but the snow is coming and I figure I got a few weeks to get it together! Literally!
Write anytime : )
Thanks Billy