BX22 starter clicks intermittently

TimF

Equipment
BX22, brushog, yorkrake
May 3, 2019
Greenland, NH
I own a 2002, BX22. Over the last three months, sometimes when I go to start the engine, the starter "clicks" but does not turn over. After two to four turns of the key from "off" to "start", the engine starts. It does not matter if the engine is cold or warm. It always starts, but recently it has been "clicking" more often than not. I called the dealer and he says it is the battery, but the battery is one year old and I have it on a trickle charger when not in use. He then said it was the safety switch on the seat. I told him this year tractor does not have a safety switch. He really wanted my tractor, but this is something I can figure out and fix myself. I have owned this tractor since new and keep it looking new. Like I said above, it always start. Do I have a solenoid, starter, or key problem? When I turn the key for the glow plug, I get all the required lights on the dash, and I see no difference with the lights whether it starts or "clicks". Thanks for the help in advance.

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
its time to do some troubleshooting. Could be any of those causing the problem. Do you have a multi meter to check for voltage?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Electrical stuff is far from my strong-suit, but my layman's thought is it's getting juice, just not enough sometimes.

If the battery is known good (sometimes we think they are when they're not), my first thought is a ground problem.

I would still start with a load test on battery. If good, then check battery ground cable through it's length and connections, followed by battery positive side cables/connections. 'Hokie here would say connections should be clean, bright and tight. The cables can also have breaks under the sheath, or "rubs"/shorts that can cause intermittent problems like your experiencing.

I believe a safety switch would prevent the starter from engaging at all - - you wouldn't even hear a click! Not sure what the dealer was thinking...

Best Wishes!

Last edited:

Bill Groom

Equipment
B7100 HST
Apr 2, 2019
N.E. Ohio
If it clicks again, lightly smack the started with a small ball peen hammer, see if it cranks then. Could well be a dead spot in the starter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
Sounds like the solenoid is going bad. I'm not sure if when you take the starter off if you can open the solenoid up by removing two smaller screws. If you can open the solenoid there is a brass / copper wheel inside that over years of starting gets dirty pitted up. If you can take the solenoid apart you just need to clean up that wheel and you'll have no problems for awhile.

TimF

Equipment
BX22, brushog, yorkrake
May 3, 2019
Greenland, NH
Thanks for the advice. I do have a multi meter. I will check all my connections first. I know they are tight, but probably not as clean and bright as they should be. I will run a test on the battery, and have a small hammer ready to tap the starter.

JG4660

Apr 22, 2019
Buffalo
I'd bet its your battery, guessing its probably been in there a while, but definitely make sure all electrical connections are clean, bright and tight. The intermittancy is probably relative to how long its been since you last used the tractor.

JG

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The overlooked battery connection is where the ground cable connects to the tractor frame. Remove and clean there also!