Istallation of AM107421 Relay Modification Kit

gene

Equipment
lastec 3372/B1700/B2150
Apr 24, 2013
ohio
My starter/solenoid clicks when engaging the ignition key to the start position. I've cleaned the battery cables and posts and have cleaned the chassis ground and the battery registers 12+ volts. I have purchased a John Deere relay modification kit, AM107421. It has 4 wires; 1) a red wire which connects to the starter solenoid positive terminal; 2) a black wire which connects to ground; 3) and two purple wires; one with a male blade plastic housed connector and one with what appears to be a plastic housed female connector. My starter/solenoid is located on a Lastec mower powered by a D1105 33HP Kubota engine with a Denso 37560 - 63012 starter/solenoid. I need help with connecting the two purple wires.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Post the instruction page so I can be certain of the advice which follows. You are not understanding what the relay is doing. Think of it as a headlight relay. It is a switch located beside the item you want to turn on or control. I cannot make out the stuff I find on the internet as it is only part of a page.
You need to think of the relay as something you put in the circuit going to the starter solenoid activation wire. Then you need to connect to a power source which may well be the heavy terminal on the starter solenoid and coming from the + battery, this is the red wire with the ring terminal. The black wire with a ring terminal will go to any ground such as a bolt holding on the starter. The purple wires will connect to the wire which used to activate the solenoid and the second purple wire will connect to the solenoid terminal where you removed a wire.
Dave M7040

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
First off green & orange paint doesn't mix very well!!!!!

Without the aid of a wiring diaphragm and relying on my memory. I've never seen the type optional solenoid that you posted but have seen other styles so my info could be "incorrect".
I will outline the type I've seen. You need a wire that was attached to original starter solenoid "S" attached to one small wire on new solenoid. A larger wire attaches from + batt term. on battery to large post on relay. the other large post on relay goes to "S" post on original solenoid. Last small wire goes to ground(-)

Attachments

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Post the instruction page so I can be certain of the advice which follows. You are not understanding what the relay is doing. Think of it as a headlight relay. It is a switch located beside the item you want to turn on or control. I cannot make out the stuff I find on the internet as it is only part of a page.
You need to think of the relay as something you put in the circuit going to the starter solenoid activation wire. Then you need to connect to a power source which may well be the heavy terminal on the starter solenoid and coming from the + battery, this is the red wire with the ring terminal. The black wire with a ring terminal will go to any ground such as a bolt holding on the starter. The purple wires will connect to the wire which used to activate the solenoid and the second purple wire will connect to the solenoid terminal where you removed a wire.
Dave M7040

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
Typically there are but two wires to a starter, heavy 4g cable from the battery to the solenoid and a smaller wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid,

Looking at yours you may also be required to run a ground wire to the solenoid.

Cable to battery.

Ground to battery.

Trigger wire to existing trigger from switch.

You do not need a modification kit, return it.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
My starter/solenoid clicks when engaging the ignition key to the start position. I've cleaned the battery cables and posts and have cleaned the chassis ground and the battery registers 12+ volts. I have purchased a John Deere relay modification kit, AM107421. It has 4 wires; 1) a red wire which connects to the starter solenoid positive terminal; 2) a black wire which connects to ground; 3) and two purple wires; one with a male blade plastic housed connector and one with what appears to be a plastic housed female connector. My starter/solenoid is located on a Lastec mower powered by a D1105 33HP Kubota engine with a Denso 37560 - 63012 starter/solenoid. I need help with connecting the two purple wires.

Connect a test wire to your trigger post on your solenoid, touch the other end of the wire to the positive post on the battery. If the solenoid 'clicks' you have a problem elsewhere, possibly the starter/solenoid itself or the battery or the cable or the connections/lugs and NOT the switch or harness.
If the starter behaves as it should and turns the engine over as it should......your problem may be in the ignition switch or trigger wire......but doubtful.

A battery can 'test' good and actually be bad......try another battery.

Last edited:

gene

Equipment
lastec 3372/B1700/B2150
Apr 24, 2013
ohio
Dave: Basically it says the red wire goes to the battery terminal of the starter; the black wire goes to ground. You plug the black/white lead that would normally go to the starter, to the male purple connector of the relay; and the female purple lead connector to the starter.

Ismurphy: Where is the trigger post on the solenoid located. Is it the small plastic enclosed blade connector, located just above where the positive battery cable connects to the solenoid?

Attachments

gene

Equipment
lastec 3372/B1700/B2150
Apr 24, 2013
ohio
Good news! I connected test wire clamp to the trigger blade connector on the solenoid and another clamp to the + terminal of the battery and pressed a push switch to complete the circuit and the engine cranked and kicked over and began running. (I had also turned the ignition key to the "start" position) I then turned the ignition off: unhooked the test wire clamps; turned the ignition switch to pre heat the glow plugs and then turned key to "start" position. She kicked right over again and two + hours later I had mowed my 3 acres, was happy to get the job done and the battery now appears to easily start the engine with the ignition key.
So thanks Ismurphy for telling me how to do what most everyone on the site probably already knew, except me. I guess bypassing the wiring harness gave the starter more direct voltage than it was receiving when it traveled via the harness. Any additional final thoughts... would be welcomed.
Thanks to all.

mac53

Equipment
b2400 zd326
May 30, 2010
elgin il. usa
Had the same problem B 2400 stater solenoid wouldn't activate starter at times worse when motor hot checked voltage at solenoid not a good 12 volts at times. Think it maybe because of all of the safety switches. Don't go to JD and pay $ 40.00 I found the same part on Amazon (less the ring & spade terminals) for $ 4.95 with shipping. works great

Last edited:

mac53

Equipment
b2400 zd326
May 30, 2010
elgin il. usa
Had the same problem B 2400 stater solenoid wouldn't activate starter at times worse when motor hot checked voltage at solenoid not a good 12 volts at times. Think it is because of all of the safety switches. Don't go to JD and pay $ 40.00 I found the same part on Amazon (less the ring & spade terminals) for $ 4.95 with shipping. works great

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Spdt relay. Any generic 40 amp relay will do. Siemens, bosch are common. I use them for all kinds of things. Reverse polarity circuits and lighting.

RRDO

Equipment
ZD28
Aug 26, 2019
Tuttle, OK, USA
I just installed this relay on my Kubota ZD28 without reading the instructions. On this relay, there are four wires (1-red. 1-black, and 2-purples). On your Kubota starter solenoid, you have 1-red (battery connection) and 1-black wire. When you install this relay, you are placing it in the circuit going to the starter solenoid. Installing the relay is simple:

Disconnect battery (although I installed it live).
1-red wire from the relay goes to the 1-red battery connection on the starter solenoid.
1-black wire from the relay goes to any ground connection on the mower (frame, engine block, etc.).
Pull off (disconnect) the 1-black wire (w/white stripe) going to the starter solenoid.
1-purple wire from the relay connects (slips on) to the 1-black wire (w/white stripe) you just pulled off the solenoid (basically join them). You cannot mix the twp purples wires up because only one connects to the Kubota solenoid black wire (w/white stripe) you just pulled off.
The other 1-purple wire from the relay slips onto the starter solenoid.

Basically, the 2-purple wires from the relay are being installed between the original Kubota 1-black wire (w/white stripe) and the starter solenoid that it was connected to. The other relay 1-black and 1-red wires are just getting power and ground connections so it can connect the complete circuit to the starter solenoid. This is an inline relay to the starter solenoid on the Kubota black wire side. That is all it is. Hope the picture helps. Just follow the wires on the relay.

Reactions: 1 user