BX22 rear does not pull?

tork

Equipment
bx23
May 5, 2014
charleston, wv
I have a BX22 w/ loader backhoe attached. Worked fine and now only the front end will pull. There are no odd noises, fluids check good and front pulls as it should.

Any help as to where to start my search?

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Not sure what the post means.

Will the BX not pull an implement forward? Will it pull something light such as an empty trailer or garden cart?

Does the "front pulls" mean that if you attach something to the FEL and drive backwards it pulls a heavy item just fine?

Does the BX drive forward and rearward normally with nothing attached?

Once what is going on is clarified there may be knowledgeable responses.

On mine, sometimes the transmission will slip/stall in high gear with a heavy pulling task. Switching to low gear usually fixes that.

Try 4WD and see what happens.

I'm guessing that you are pulling a tree or moving a heavy boulder. Knowing the task would also help others diagnose the issue.

tork

Equipment
bx23
May 5, 2014
charleston, wv
Sorry for not being clear. What I mean is that the rear axle does not pull/drive, at all. Only the front end pulls when in 4wd. In 2wd rear does nothing.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Sorry for not being clear. What I mean is that the rear axle does not pull/drive, at all. Only the front end pulls when in 4wd. In 2wd rear does nothing.
That is strange then, as I recall, there is a driveshaft that runs front to back?
possible that a yoke broke? Or is this the PTO shaft running through? Since there is no way to disengage the rear, I would not think it could be a linkage problem. Shift in and out of high and low range in 2WD only, see if anything changes.

The bottom line is that when you are in 2 wd and press on the pedal - nothing happens? no moaning - nothing?

tork

Equipment
bx23
May 5, 2014
charleston, wv
That is strange then, as I recall, there is a driveshaft that runs front to back?
possible that a yoke broke? Or is this the PTO shaft running through? Since there is no way to disengage the rear, I would not think it could be a linkage problem. Shift in and out of high and low range in 2WD only, see if anything changes.

The bottom line is that when you are in 2 wd and press on the pedal - nothing happens? no moaning - nothing?
Correct, press pedal and nothing in 2wd. Go 4wd and front pulls. Have done as suggested, hi/lo, 2wd/4wd, different rpm's nothing seems to want to let the rear pull.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would say something is broken!
Like ring and pinion....
But wait... is this another case of flat tires? :confused:
Seriously, check and make sure the rims are not just spinning on the tires, It's has happened to several people.

tork

Equipment
bx23
May 5, 2014
charleston, wv
I'm really scratching my head here. If broken ring gear would think there would be some type of grinding/growling of some kind.

tork

Equipment
bx23
May 5, 2014
charleston, wv
With all tires off ground front pulls at full power, rear does not turn.

Have noticed that left rear will turn by hand freely forward and back, even while front tires turning in either direction. There is a slight wobble on left side rear while front is turning.

Right rear will turn by hand but has some resistance. Does not wobble or act like it want to pull at all.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Now that sounds like a broken axle, differential gear or final gear.

For giggles try engaging the differential lock and see if you can get one rear tire to pull, My guess is the right side will pull and left will not.

Last edited:

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Agree with wolfman, the wobble sounds like a broken lft axle. If that is the case, then the right will not pull either, unless , you engage the differential lock. I think you could press it down while everthing is up and try to turn the right tire. It should not turn, if the shifter is in either 2wd or 4wd.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

tork

Equipment
bx23
May 5, 2014
charleston, wv
Ok here is the latest. Found hyd oil milky and at the low level on dip stick.
Installed new filter and oil, also cleaned suction screen. Let tractor sit and run and now it has blown the seal out of the left rear axle.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Ok here is the latest. Found hyd oil milky and at the low level on dip stick.
Installed new filter and oil, also cleaned suction screen. Let tractor sit and run and now it has blown the seal out of the left rear axle.
UG, UG, and one more UG. Two old sayings come to mind:

>When it rains it pours.

>If it is not one thing than it is another.

Keep at it. Things just have to get better!

lukeboy

Equipment
bx 2200
Dec 23, 2021
just went through exact same thing differenial lock didnot disengage the pins stuck broke spider gears

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
just went through exact same thing differenial lock didnot disengage the pins stuck broke spider gears
My BX2200 diff lock does not seem to want to engage now. I guess I should not try to use it anymore and live with what I have, without the diff lock feature! AND again, not try to use it anymore...

Otherwise the tractor still performs flawlessly.