BX22 BT600 boom cylinder

Forgie

Equipment
BX22
Apr 13, 2024
Delaware
After 22 years of operation I had to reseal the boom cylinder on my BT600 backhoe. When reinstalled I lowered the boom and crushed the lower “L” fitting / metal tube into the inside of the boom tunnel. The fitting in the cylinder had not been removed or repositioned. There is no evidence of any bend in the cylinder rod. I replaced the fitting and metal tube and checked again. The boom can only be lowered about 1/2 way before it contacts the inside of the boom tunnel. The fitting into the cylinder is tapered and therefore can not be seated any deeper. I tried repositioning the fitting, but no position give any better clearance. There must be a simple solution, but it’s evading me.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
After 22 years of operation I had to reseal the boom cylinder on my BT600 backhoe. When reinstalled I lowered the boom and crushed the lower “L” fitting / metal tube into the inside of the boom tunnel. The fitting in the cylinder had not been removed or repositioned. There is no evidence of any bend in the cylinder rod. I replaced the fitting and metal tube and checked again. The boom can only be lowered about 1/2 way before it contacts the inside of the boom tunnel. The fitting into the cylinder is tapered and therefore can not be seated any deeper. I tried repositioning the fitting, but no position give any better clearance. There must be a simple solution, but it’s evading me.
Just a wild guess, but is there any chance you reverse the orientation of the cylinder when you reinstalled it?

Reactions: 1 user

loggin

Equipment
MX4700
Sep 4, 2021
canada
Some pictures would definitely help us to see the issue and find some solutions.

loggin

Equipment
MX4700
Sep 4, 2021
canada
Judging from pictures on the internet it looks like the rod end attaches to the frame of the backhoe and the cylinder end is inside the tube.

Forgie

Equipment
BX22
Apr 13, 2024
Delaware
Cylinder is oriented as per drawing and the way it always was. To rule out a possible slight bend in the rod I rotated it 180* in the cylinder. Same condition, contacts top of boom tunnel when lowered less than 1/2 way.

Attachments

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Did you have the 90-degree fitting out of the cylinder? It does not appear to be screwed in far enough.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Cylinder is oriented as per drawing and the way it always was. To rule out a possible slight bend in the rod I rotated it 180* in the cylinder. Same condition, contacts top of boom tunnel when lowered less than 1/2 way.
Have you replaced the fitting with a different fitting?
As @whitetiger pointed out it does not appear to be installed deep enough.
If it's a replacement fitting it could be the fitting is just taller.
You could tap the cylinder fitting to make the fitting seat deeper or use a die on the fitting do do the same thing.

Forgie

Equipment
BX22
Apr 13, 2024
Delaware
Originally I did not remove or reposition the fitting. After reinstalling the cylinder the first time I lowered the boom it crushed the metal pipe and cracked the fitting. I ordered the replacements from Kubota and they matched the original exactly. The fitting has tapered threads and is down as deep as I could get it. Counting threads it seems to be at the depth of the original. I’m going to stop by the local hydraulic shop and see if they may have one with a shorter profile. If not I guess I’m modifying the boom tunnel.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Originally I did not remove or reposition the fitting. After reinstalling the cylinder the first time I lowered the boom it crushed the metal pipe and cracked the fitting. I ordered the replacements from Kubota and they matched the original exactly. The fitting has tapered threads and is down as deep as I could get it. Counting threads it seems to be at the depth of the original. I’m going to stop by the local hydraulic shop and see if they may have one with a shorter profile. If not I guess I’m modifying the boom tunnel.
Was that fitting always on the top as shown in the photo? Is there any possibility the cylinder needs to be rotated 180° with respect to the shaft?

Forgie

Equipment
BX22
Apr 13, 2024
Delaware
Yes, the fitting was always on the top and that matches the drawings. Rotating the barrel 180* would put the fittings under. I have rotated the rod 180* and get the same results.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Yes, the fitting was always on the top and that matches the drawings. Rotating the barrel 180* would put the fittings under. I have rotated the rod 180* and get the same results.
How did you manage to crush the original? Apparently it was OK before you took it out and put it back. Seems like this is an assembly error. Like maybe its just not screwed in far enough.....

Dan

Dustyx2

Equipment
BX22, M7060, Landpride RC-2512, Woodmax SB84
Feb 19, 2021
NE Wyoming
I just went out and looked at mine. The hoses are underneath. Opposite of what the drawing above shows. The cylinder has never been off.

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Kaching, Kaching, we have a winner. I was thinking the same thing, but since I sold my BX22, and my memory it old, I didn't want to make this suggestion.

Dustyx2

Equipment
BX22, M7060, Landpride RC-2512, Woodmax SB84
Feb 19, 2021
NE Wyoming
Kaching, Kaching, we have a winner. I was thinking the same thing, but since I sold my BX22, and my memory it old, I didn't want to make this suggestion.
I too was thinking that was wrong but I wanted to be sure before I said it.

Forgie

Equipment
BX22
Apr 13, 2024
Delaware
I was sure the fittings were on the top, and all of the Kubota drawings confirmed that. Well, we were both wrong, they definitely have to be on the bottom. Thank you Dustyx2 for taking the time to check out a factory original installation and posting pictures. Thanks to everyone for being so helpful.