BX1880 Fuel Issue

js312

Equipment
BX1880, LA344S, 48" MMM
Jan 28, 2024
New England
Hi All,

This machine is only a few months old. Today I was using it and noticed it would randomly start sputtering and RPMs would drop significantly. Then it would start behaving properly again. I was trying to determine a pattern to this behavior, but wasn't able to.

I noticed when I turn the key to on, I don't hear the fuel pump at all (I think every other time I've ever turned the key to "on", I have noticed the rapid clicking of the pump). I called the dealer and they said it could be debris in the fuel line and to check that and call back if not.

I disconnected the line from the fuel pump inlet (after the first filter) and got a very fast stream - absolutely no question that it's 100% clear. I disconnected the line from the outlet and got a steady, but less dramatic stream from the outlet of the fuel pump. I figure this is because it's a much smaller diameter than the actual line from the tank.

I then disconnected the line from the engine. I got fuel here too as long as I held the line low - not a crazy flow, but roughly similar in volume to the fuel pump outlet. If I hold the line too high, it stops. I turned the key to on with the line disconnected and held high and got no flow, and no pump sounds. Checked the fuse for the fuel pump and it's good. It's connected as well and I don't see any damage to the wires. With everything reconnected, it no longer starts at all - just an occasional sputter. I definitely lost a good amount of fuel disconnecting lines (and dumped what I caught into my heating oil tank rather than back into the tractor), so I'm thinking the fuel level is now low enough where gravity isn't helping as much. It's probably around 3/4 full.

I called the dealer and they're going to grab it next week and said if it's a failure under warranty, no charge, if it is debris they would have to charge me which I totally understand.

Just making sure my thinking that it's a fuel pump failure and probably not debris is correct.

Last edited:

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
From what you've said I agree it could be pump but have you checked for 12volts to pump when key turned on? You will probably get a bill for towing and misc regardless what dealer finds.

js312

Equipment
BX1880, LA344S, 48" MMM
Jan 28, 2024
New England
From what you've said I agree it could be pump but have you checked for 12volts to pump when key turned on? You will probably get a bill for towing and misc regardless what dealer finds.
I would bring it, but now with no ability for it to move on its own power I don't have a good way to get it onto my trailer. So, if they charge a bit I don't have an issue with it.

I was going to check voltage to the pump, but the plug was stubborn and I figured it doesn't really give me any information that would let me solve the problem. If there is voltage, it's what I would expect. If there isn't, the fuse is good and there's no wiring damage that I noticed so I'm not sure where that leads me.

EDIT - just went out again, I disconnected the pump and do indeed get 12v to it as soon as I turn the key on. That confirms the wiring is good, I suppose, along with any sort of relays or controls the thing has in place that tells it to turn the pump on.

Last edited:

js312

Equipment
BX1880, LA344S, 48" MMM
Jan 28, 2024
New England
Found this - seems like my exact situation. For him it was the fuel pump and it went bad in 50 hours. So, I guess it isn't unheard of:

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
I believe you have now confirmed pump being bad.

Reactions: 1 user

js312

Equipment
BX1880, LA344S, 48" MMM
Jan 28, 2024
New England
I believe you have now confirmed pump being bad.
Thanks for confirming my thinking is probably right.

Thinking back, it seemed to start sputtering and acting weird after spurts of higher demand use - I was using the loader to get a bunch of crushed stone for an old shed pad off the lawn. First time it acted up was when I was dumping that and pushing some of my pile further away. Second time was with the bucket angled scraping more stone off the ground. Seemed like if I was just driving it around without needing it to actually work, or lifting the loader empty, it was okay.

A friend said the reason it no longer starts is probably because it lost its prime, and had I not disconnected the fuel line it would probably still run (poorly).

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yep sound like you've covered it.

If you want to get it to run you'll need to fill the tank and bleed the air out of the injection pump system.
It would be a good time to learn to do it, that way if you get it great, if you don't then no issue as the dealer will get it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Open the hood and find this bolt (yellow) and loosen or remove it till you get fuel.

1714172102819.png

If you don't get fuel, you'll need to, put positive pressure on the tank.
There is several ways to accomplish this, air compressor or a shop vac that has a blow feature.
Warning:
Calling out your significant other to blow in the tank will work, but will also cause all sorts of other issues, slaps, kicks and other assaults' are sure to happen, along with the occasional marriage counseling or divorce.

Just a little pressure will force fuel to the pump, once you get fuel to the pump reinstall / tighten bolt while a little fuel is flowing.
try starting, if it won't you'll need to crack an injector line here (blue), set throttle to high and crank in 15 second intervals (to not over heat the starter) till you get clean bubble free fuel, then tighten and start.
1714172304249.png

js312

Equipment
BX1880, LA344S, 48" MMM
Jan 28, 2024
New England
Open the hood and find this bolt (yellow) and loosen or remove it till you get fuel.

View attachment 127077

There is several ways to accomplish this, air compressor or a shop vac that has a blow feature.
Warning:
Calling out your significant other to blow in the tank will work, but will also cause all sorts of other issues, slaps, kicks and other assaults' are sure to happen, along with the occasional marriage counseling or divorce.

Just a little pressure will force fuel to the pump, once you get fuel to the pump reinstall / tighten bolt while a little fuel is flowing.
try starting, if it won't you'll need to crack an injector line here (blue), set throttle to high and crank in 15 second intervals (to not over heat the starter) till you get clean bubble free fuel, then tighten and start.
View attachment 127079
Awesome, might give this a try. I have the mowing deck all the way down because I needed space to access the pump and fuel lines and now I have no way to raise it. If I can get it to run, I can at least do that.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Save your sanity remove the deck from the tractor and put it aside. Working on the fuel system over the deck is going to get old quickly.

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Sucks your 1880 fuel pump is bad already. I have 65 hours on mine. Pump makes the clicking noise like it’s supposed to. Let us know the outcome from the dealer.

js312

Equipment
BX1880, LA344S, 48" MMM
Jan 28, 2024
New England
Save your sanity remove the deck from the tractor and put it aside. Working on the fuel system over the deck is going to get old quickly.
If I were actually replacing the pump, I would. Dropping it was good enough to get at the lines and electrical connection at least to make sure it wasn't a blockage.

Sucks your 1880 fuel pump is bad already. I have 65 hours on mine. Pump makes the clicking noise like it’s supposed to. Let us know the outcome from the dealer.
I am at about 11. Fortunately, it only started acting up at the very end of my project today, so it didn't really cause any inconvenience.

js312

Equipment
BX1880, LA344S, 48" MMM
Jan 28, 2024
New England

View attachment 127077

Warning:

View attachment 127079
Bleeding it worked. It starts and runs again - idles fine, got the deck and loader up. If you increase the throttle, you can tell it isn't quite right - it's kind of lazy to increase RPMs and such. At least it's good enough for the dealer to more easily load it.

The guy who helped me with it is around diesel tractors all the time on a farm he works at and said he agrees it's most likely a bad fuel pump.

js312

Equipment
BX1880, LA344S, 48" MMM
Jan 28, 2024
New England
Dealer says mine is the next machine to go in, so I'm hoping I have it back toward the end of next week. Figures it'd have a failure during a really busy time of year for them.

Meanwhile, I used my little electric Makita pushmower to do the lawn because it was getting high again. I only have a 1/2 acre of grass but even that takes a long time with a 19" cut at 3 MPH. Wouldn't want to do it all the time, but once or twice isn't a big deal and the steps are probably good for me.

Mmanders6

Equipment
BX1880, ZG227
May 1, 2024
Houston, TX
Definitely sounds like the fuel pump. Nice job on the diagnosis. My bx1880 has had intermittent problems with bogging after 30-45 minutes running. In my case it's junk in the fuel tank clogging the small outlet. Since you mentioned reduced flow from the tank side of the filter this could be compounding your issue too (reduced flow > cavitating pump > burned up pump?). The fix for me is to blow air back up the line to clear the restriction. Then it's good for another year or two. But the fuel pump definitely always runs on mine.

1. I would throw a fit if the dealer tried to charge me for this repair on a brand new machine. Play dumb and make noise, they should cover it in full.

2. How on earth did you get to the filter and lines with the deck on? You must be a contortionist...

js312

Equipment
BX1880, LA344S, 48" MMM
Jan 28, 2024
New England
Definitely sounds like the fuel pump. Nice job on the diagnosis. My bx1880 has had intermittent problems with bogging after 30-45 minutes running. In my case it's junk in the fuel tank clogging the small outlet. Since you mentioned reduced flow from the tank side of the filter this could be compounding your issue too (reduced flow > cavitating pump > burned up pump?). The fix for me is to blow air back up the line to clear the restriction. Then it's good for another year or two. But the fuel pump definitely always runs on mine.

1. I would throw a fit if the dealer tried to charge me for this repair on a brand new machine. Play dumb and make noise, they should cover it in full.

2. How on earth did you get to the filter and lines with the deck on? You must be a contortionist...
I don't get any reduced flow from the tank side of the filter. I get really strong flow from the line going into the pump from the tank (past the first filter), and if I reconnect the line and disconnect from the outlet side of the pump it's also as strong as I would expect it to be from the pump outlet. It's a little less, but the line is larger diameter than the pump outlet so it makes sense.

With the deck all the way down, I can see the lines and the pump without too much issue (48" MMM). It wasn't too bad to pull them. Checking the electrical connection was a bigger challenge, but still doable.

Biggest giveaway on mine is the pump never runs anymore. I'd be shocked if there's a blockage of any kind since the hours are so low and I've been pouring diesel into the tank through a mason jar strainer since I got it.

Last edited:

js312

Equipment
BX1880, LA344S, 48" MMM
Jan 28, 2024
New England
Dealer called me - tractor's fixed. They said the fuel pump was indeed the issue. They're bringing it back to me tomorrow. They said no charge, it's a brand new machine and it shouldn't have happened.

Very happy with them so far between sales and how they dealt with this issue.

Reactions: 1 users