BX1870 slow cranking

2hat

Equipment
BX1870
Apr 6, 2024
Maryland
I inherited my father's Kubota. It has been working great until today when it won't start. Checked battery, replaced fuel filters, what's wrong?

Here is a video so you can hear what it sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5oRGylNLlc8

It is a Kubota BX1870. I tried giving it a jump, but that didn't help. The battery was registering 12V, then later after several tries 11V. The manual indicated to replace the fuel filters, so I did. I turned the key to on to allow the fuel pump to bleed the lines of air, then tried turning it on again, but all I got was what you see in the video.

PTO is not engaged when I'm trying to start the tractor.

I was trying to fix it myself instead of needing to figure out how to get it to the dealer. The hydraulic bucket in front is touching the ground, so that may make it more difficult to pull up onto a flatbed. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
That is low voltage and/or amperage. Try using jumper cables to get the starter to turn over faster. A battery can test 12 volts, but not have enough amperage for starting. Also, remove all the battery connections clean them with a wire brush, and reinstall. This means both sides of the cables. If you have a multimeter, you can check each cable for resistance, and if you find high resistance in the cable that means that there is corrosion under the insulation. Sometimes it is easier on an older tractor to just replace the cables with new ones. If you go the replacement route purchase the largest diameter copper cables that are available at the auto parts store. I would try an independent auto supply store to find the best quality and they should be able to advise you. Bring the old cables with you, and take pictures before you disconnect anything. You don't want to get the positive and negative cables mixed up. That can become a very costly mistake.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The battery is bad, take it to a local automotive parts store and have them load test it.

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Never use “starting fluid” on it. Never.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Agree buy a new,fully charged battery and install.
Turn key to on, wait 5 seconds (watch the light show...)
Turn key to preheat glowplugs, wait 5 seconds...
Turn key to start,hold for 5 seconds...
If it doesn't start and run ( it'll run rough for a minute +- ),then wait a minute or two and repeat the 'process'.

Reactions: 1 user

Amarillo

Equipment
MX6000 w/ LA1065, tiller, disc, core aerator, box blade, shredder, Blast Sprayer
Jan 10, 2023
Amarillo, TX
After you get your new battery you may consider a battery maintainer to keep it fully charged between uses. I put a maintainer on our tractor, UTV, car and lawn mower and its saved me l lot on the cost of new batteries. Of course you would have to have a place to plug the maintainer in or go the solar route. A plug in maintainer is usually under $50.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
When you get it running, either by jump starting or new battery, check the voltage at a fast idle, it should be over 13 volts.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There is one other long shot, if someone has bypassed the HST PEdal switch it could be cranking in while engaged.
Make sure the HST pedal is in the neutral state.